Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This sounds like a raggedy ass group that dresses just like me. Since RE I have spent $0 on clothing items that are outer wear. The only things that seem to rear out and need replacing are socks, boxers, and NB running shoes. DW will occasionally buy me something to wear because "it was a good deal" but it's usually something that I have many of (i.e. slacks, tee shirts, gym shorts) and know that I will not wear until the others have served their usefulness years from now. Those items have always been returned to the "good deal" store.

I still have a nylon/rayon (?) parka-like deal that I got in college in about 1963. It still makes a good windbreaker on bike rides. I also have another nylon/rayon windbreaker that I got in 1970~ still works! Those things never wear out, and the only reason that I have two is that the second one was purchased in Philadelphia one cool windy day and I had no jacket.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
This sounds like a raggedy ass group that dresses just like me.
Well, given that FIRE folks are usually LBYMers driven by saving their way into retirement, and that such ideas often mean being cheap@sses frugality, it's hardly a surprise that we're not wearing Armani suits or Jimmy Choo shoes...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Choo shoes
Is there really such an item for sale?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I frequent a consignment shop for men only. They take only the best brands, everything must be dry cleaned or laundered and pressed.
Good point, Johnnie. For savings and selection -- Consignment shops rule! (although I had not heard of a men-only CS). I was in one the other day, in Annapolis. Some of the ladies' summer dresses were lovely, as were the prices. I think if I ever need another summer dress, I will go to a consignment store. It would be cheaper than making my own!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought we were fairly frugal when it comes to clothing. Obviously I was wrong! I wont skimp on shoes though. Soon as I use shoes that don't have the proper support my Plantar fasciitis kicks in.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
This sounds like a raggedy ass group that dresses just like me.
Too many years of wearing "good" clothes has led me to be an intentional slob, but only at home. I dress nicely when going out, in fact I wear some of my former business casual w*rk clothes. The power suits are under plastic in the closet. Ptui!
My favorite item for at-home slobbiness is a pair of navy blue sweatpants. I have repaired the seat seam several times. They just feel so comfy and nobody is gonna see my secret except dh2b, right?
I can afford new sweats and already have several other newer pairs. But this pair is my designated independence uniform.
I wear them on days I am especially happy about FIRE.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
When warm weather arrives I have to wear a bra when running errands. In the winter it's t-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece vest.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Other than my suits (two), which probably average a hundred bucks per wear, everything else must be pennies, 'cause I buy 'em cheap, then wear them until there's nothing left...

In retirement, I expect to wear nothing but shorts, tees, and flip-flops...

CRA - cheap, raggedy a$$

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

The t-shirt I'm wearing today is from an event I attended in April of '86.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Any from Woodstock ??
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Any from Woodstock ??
Lived not too far from there, didn't go, was working in a factory.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Any from Woodstock ??
I have a Woodstock '99 T shirt or two or three, folded very neatly and appreciating.
In '69, I was exactly, um...11 years old. I lived 1 hour south.
There were actually some small kids at Woodstock '69, but not gonna happen under my Mom's watch, no sirrreeeeeeee.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have a Woodstock '99 T shirt or two or three, folded very neatly and appreciating.
If they are appreciating think of how much an original shirt would bring .
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I wear 80's concert T-shirts when working out. They used to be my stepdaughter's, so are rather big on me (she's a Double Dang). They didn't cost me anything, as I didn't even know her father at the time the T-shirts were purchased!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Clothes are more expensive per wearing than people think.

What a waste of money if you ask me. I wear T-shirts from running races (not sure how to allocate the race entry cost in Quicken - entertainment or clothing....).

Wife spent $5k on clothes one year. Still pisses me off. Hope she's not on this board....
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
Clothes are more expensive per wearing than people think.

What a waste of money if you ask me. I wear T-shirts from running races (not sure how to allocate the race entry cost in Quicken - entertainment or clothing....).

Wife spent $5k on clothes one year. Still pisses me off. Hope she's not on this board....
I see no problem with spending unlimited amounts on personal adornment, if you can afford it and it fits into your plans. If her clothing purchase bothers you this much, could it be that her plans differ from yours?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I see no problem with spending unlimited amounts on personal adornment, if you can afford it and it fits into your plans. If her clothing purchase bothers you this much, could it be that her plans differ from yours?
We can afford and whatever makes her happy.

I have 3 classic cars and 3 motorcycles - she's probably postiing somewhere how wasteful that is....
Old 06-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think my rain jacket wins in the cost per wearing department.

Having posted in thread about best purchase, one of the items was an early model of GoreTex rain jacket. Bought around 1974 or a bit later, wore it for a good bit of 14 years in the Aleutians. Can't remember the the price, but seemed darn expensive then. Still have it and use it on rainy days.

No cuts or nicks, some stains etc. but still holds the rain outside.

It has seen a lot of abuse, hiking among rocks, getting snagged on helicopter, aircraft doors, hinges, alder bushes, you name it. It truly is rip-stop, more like no-rip.

On a per wear bases it is probably in the 1/100 pennies range.

And it has a "Full Unlimited Warranty for an unlimited time period" replacement. Though never checked if they are still in business.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

I got a lot of use out of the dark blue wool short (very short, but weren't they all in the 70s) dress I was married in--probably wore it twice a week to work until the moths had at it.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

This is very much a topic after my own heart.

I shop (when I shop - which is rarely, 'cause I hate it) clearance racks and used clothing stores - but most of my clothing are hand-me downs from family or friends who, um, "outgrew" them. Rarely buy anything over $10 and only if I am going to wear it at least 10 times ($1/wearing is wear I start to see something as "good value"). I do wear pantyhose (as I am still working in a "professional" field) - but I buy in bulk from the Hanes closeout catalogue (3 dozen pairs lasts 5 years). I don't buy anything that needs to be drycleaned.

It helps that I am the same size I was 15 years ago when I acquired my first "professional" garb - would have had to spend a lot more over the years if I had to accomodate a growing waistline - as it stands some of those original acquisitions are still being worn regulalry.