Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: The maximum I ever spent on an item of clothing was.....
<$100 7 6.86%
$100-$199 17 16.67%
$200-$399 37 36.27%
$400-$599 13 12.75%
$600-$799 11 10.78%
$800-$999 7 6.86%
$1000 or more 10 9.80%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Back in the 80's, I spent $12,000 for my ex-wife's Mink coat, i think she returned it and got another one.
oops...I forgot about that. My husband did the same. It wasn't $12K but it was many K. LOL!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Back in the 80's, I spent $12,000 for my ex-wife's Mink coat, i think she returned it and got another one.
Reminds me of a joke I haven't heard in years.

Mink Coat Jokes - Animal Jokes

Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
You guys blow me away.....we spent over $4K on clothing last year. In defense, a decent amount was athletic gear that often needs to be replaced at least once a year (several types of shoes, shirts that get nasty, etc). Also due to needing a different size (in the good direction).
4k for clothes in 1 year?? Wow, I feel absolutely tightwadish. I don't think we've spent that much in the last 10 years for clothes...
Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
4k for clothes in 1 year?? Wow, I feel absolutely tightwadish. I don't think we've spent that much in the last 10 years for clothes...
It does seem high, but for starters imagine 2 sets of running shoes every couple months (call it $100/pair average) -- that's $800 right there. Plus other athletic shoes that are easily $100 each, again times two. I bet a good $2K/year is on regularly replacing athletic/outdoor stuff. The other half, though, yeah, that's probably more up for criticism. Although a decent amount of that last year was due to my dropping two sizes in pants and one or two in tops. I had to give in when pants literally wouldn't stay on.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No jewelry, just clothes in this thread, correct?
MRG
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow, I think you "win" so far!

Obviously that was in your pre-LBYM days!
OH BOY! What did I win?

Seriously, I have always LBYM, but back in my "Wolf of Wall Street" days, I was making more bank than a wise man could spend foolishly.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I don't think I've spent more for a piece of clothing than I've spent on a good pair of hiking boots.

I like technical clothing and wear a lot of nylon, so when I buy something it tends to be $$, but I don't buy very often and they last forever. We have limited closet space, so we don't have a huge amount of clothes.

Once upon a time all the clothing we owned fit in our RV bedroom drawers and closet. You can't take many pairs of shoes in an RV!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OH BOY! What did I win?

Seriously, I have always LBYM, but back in my "Wolf of Wall Street" days, I was making more bank than a wise man could spend foolishly.
Congratulations! You have won a trip to the local thrift store for your next outfit.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations! You have won a trip to the local thrift store for your next outfit.
In 2013, I bought a pair of sandals for 69 Soles ($24.64) and My wife and I have spent $0 this year.

Last night I left this thread open and out of curiosity my wife started reading it. (She does not know I occasionally post.) She started laughing about the "Wasteful Americans" after reading the post about some guy who spent 4k on sneakers, but the "coup de grace" was the idiot who spent 12k on a mink coat.

She proceeded to remind me that 6 years ago when my Mother passed, my Father offered her my Mothers similarly priced coat and she turned him down and it ultimately went to my niece.

I have tried to give her money (to buy clothes) for Christmas,Valentines Day and her 32nd Birthday next week and she keeps putting it off so we can buy "baby clothes" in 2015 for our expected "new arrival"!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In 2013, I bought a pair of sandals for 69 Soles ($24.64) and My wife and I have spent $0 this year.

Last night I left this thread open and out of curiosity my wife started reading it. (She does not know I occasionally post.) She started laughing about the "Wasteful Americans" after reading the post about some guy who spent 4k on sneakers, but the "coup de grace" was the idiot who spent 12k on a mink coat.
Just a huge reminder that everything is relative and we Americans often forget when arguing about the gap between the $30K/yr blue collar guy and the mid six figure banker or entrepreneur that both of those folks are at the very top of the income scale when compared on a global scale.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #51

I bought a leather jacket for $450 over 5 years ago. It's a beautiful jacket and will last for decades. My leather motorcycle jacket was probably in the range of $300 too and I've worn that for 15 yrs with no regrets.

When I was w*rking I bought a lot of shoes. It seemed like the only type of clothing that a guy in his 50's could have some fun with without looking like I was trying to dress "to young". As soon as I ER'd I had too many shoes. My clothing expenses were close to zero in the first year of ER. Now in year 3 I'm finally buying some stuff. Not as frugal as most people here but far less than my w*rking days.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Back in the 80's, I wanted to be Mr. Motorcycle, and bought a Hein Gericke leather motorcycle jacket for $375.00. I've had numerous bad back, knee, and joint problems through the years. That jacket must have weighed 15 lbs., and I could never get comfortable wearing it--still hangs in the closet today and only worn twice. On a lighter note, about 10 years ago at Christmas, bought 3 cheap ($19 ea.) Chinese leather-patch jackets so 2 sons-in-law and I could do a Blues Brothers thing. I wear that jacket all the time when it's cold and I'm out stacking wood, shoveling snow, etc., and it's super warm and has never had any problems (zippers, rips, etc.)-- go figure.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Just a huge reminder that everything is relative and we Americans often forget when arguing about the gap between the $30K/yr blue collar guy and the mid six figure banker or entrepreneur that both of those folks are at the very top of the income scale when compared on a global scale.
I've seen this link posted before by me and others. It's a good reminder that on a global scale that $30k/year guy is is doing pretty well for himself:

Global Rich List

If one is ever feeling "Woe, I'm so poor..." this will make you feel better. It won't change the facts any of course but you'll feel better.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

The most I've spent on one article of clothing was about $159. It was for a technical ski jacket (ski pants were about the same $). All of my other clothing is pretty much second hand items. But outdoor technical gear I try to buy new and on sale!

That said jacket which is 5 years old and recently had some zipper issues. Outdoor Research just credited me $270 with their store so I can buy myself a new jacket. I did not even pay that much back when I bought it! Infinite Guarantee rocks. I have not spent it yet.

I am eyeing some Fry leather boots, but cannot bring myself to spend that much so I'm checking out eBay instead.

2012 we spent $1200 on clothing/shoes together, and it was $2000 in 2013.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the old adage that an ounce of gold has always been about the price of a good men's suit. So I imagine clothing expenditures have always varied a lot.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
No jewelry, just clothes in this thread, correct?
MRG
Correct, no musical instruments or sports cars either...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #57

Around 1990 I transferred from Boston, MA to Portland, OR. My job went from an engineering environment to a pre-sales and consulting job. I went to Nordstrom's and bought 2 suits for probably a total of $450. I was quite upset to have spent so much money, but they were a traditional cut so I vowed to wear them until they fell apart. I switched jobs butcontinued to wear those suits all the time. I was still determined to wear those two suits out. Finally everyone started dressing casual. I held out for a while but went back to jeans and tennis shoes at work. I was teased about wearing those suits for the next 15 years.

Last year I scored a pass to the Columbia Sportswear/ Mountain Hardware employee store. I decided to buy a really good rain jacket since I walked a lot. I found one for $440 so it cost me $220. It still feels like a lot to spend on a jacket, but it works really well. We get a LOT of wet weather and the jacket keeps me dry. I am hoping to get five years of steady wear out of it.

Last Saturday I went to the Columbia Sportswear outlet store and found winter jackets (for next year) for my great nieces. They each cost $150 and I paid $31 and $38. I love a good deal!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Like $400 for a suit when I was interviewing, or thereabouts? I never much cared about clothes and only bought what I was required to wear to keep the job. Now that I am out of the cube I have had to buy some clothes since I tossed all of the work clothes (which were well past the "donate" point) and did not have enough casual clothes to get through the week. I've successfully shopped mostly at Goodwill, but I did find a top shelf pair of hiking pants in the Cabela's "bargain cave" for $15 and last week I scored a beautiful $300 suede jacket for $40 on a clearance rack.

I was single-handedly the cause of the imposition of a dress code at one of my employers. This was a small shop (a dozen people) which rarely saw clients face to face. They told me there was no dress code so I took them at their word. Whatever I grabbed out of the drawer when I got dressed at 4:45AM was what I showed up in. Apparently the last straw was when I showed up in a pair of stained shorts and a t shirt developing small holes that had a picture of fishing gear with the caption "The Way To a Fisherman's Heart Is Through His Fly." The next day we had a dress code that amounted to business casual.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I like technical clothing and wear a lot of nylon, so when I buy something it tends to be $$, but I don't buy very often and they last forever. We have limited closet space, so we don't have a huge amount of clothes.
+1

I have two pairs of REI brand synthetic pants that I got ten years ago for a trip to peru. I've been wearing these daily and they are still going strong (with the exception of a paint stain and jammed pocket zipper).

I also got an arcteryx jacket free from work, but haven't started to wear it because my old jacket is still good (not sure how old it is but my niece was a little girl when I bought it and now she's almost done college).
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Clothing: What's the most you've ever spent? (POLL)

About $400 for a suit. Twenty plus years later, it's still like new, but it seems to have shrunk!

Spend $200-300/yr on clothes, shoes.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote