Clothing: What's the most you've ever spent? (POLL)

The maximum I ever spent on an item of clothing was.....

• <$100

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • $100-$199

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • $200-$399

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • $400-$599

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • $600-$799

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • $800-$999

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • $1000 or more

Votes: 10 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Inspired by the Shoe thread, I am starting this one. Way back in 1985 I spent the equivalent of about $700 on a power dress (Dynasty style) for a special occasion. (I also bought matching shoes and makeup). I was celebrating a significant career achievement and the possibilities seemed endless. I was living within my means, but not below.

Now that the possibilities have, for the most part, been realized, last year I spent only $625 on clothing, in total, taxes included.

How about you?

Last edited:
This is probably revealing to much but back in the day when I was working for someone else, I was promoted to VP and as part of the congratulations package I was handed 1.5K to go out and buy a new wardrobe. At first I was a little insulted but then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and said "oh yeah, good point"

So, I duly went out and bought said fine and fancy threads. Due to my inbuilt inability to waste money I couldn't quite bring myself to spend the whole 1.5K but got close.
As we were leaving the thieves den, I caught sight of a beautiful trench coat on a strikingly masculine mannequin. Hey, I said to myself, I'm kind of strikingly masculine aren't I ? (I had a full beard then). Besides, I still have money left and that trench coat would make me look like Bogart in Casablanca !

Long story short, I didn't have enough company money left but bought it anyway by topping it up with my own funds.

So, I walked out wearing what was essentially an $800 dollar rain poncho.

It doesn't rain that much in Ontario.

I didn't look like Bogart. More like Sydney Greenstreet.

Fifteen years later, it went to Goodwill.

Every time it rains I keep expecting to run into a very well dressed bum who's got a ticket on the last plane out of town.

I plead guilty to having spent $300+ yrs ago on a pair of Italian cycling shoes. Far more than I've ever spent of street shoes. :blush:
But in my defense, those Sidi's fit perfectly & are still in great shape after outlasting multiple pairs of cheaper bike shoes.

Last edited:
I spent less than $100 on clothing last year, but DW spent a lot more.

My big cost items were bridesmaid dresses, that, with alterations, pushed them over the $200 mark. I hate dressing up.
I've never really liked clothes shopping anyway, and endeavor to spend as little as possible. We had to buy a $500 suit for DH last year for a formal invite to something, and gritted our teeth. I did however re-wear one of the aforementioned bridesmaids dresses, for once!

The most I have ever spent on an item of clothing was around $600, for an Italian wool suit. Five years later, I still feel like a million bucks on the rare occasion when I wear it.

This is probably revealing to much but back in the day when I was working for someone else, I was promoted to VP and as part of the congratulations package I was handed 1.5K to go out and buy a new wardrobe.

I presume this was in private industry. I can see why image would be important when you are the face of the company, but I am surprised that you were treated to a clothes allowance. Did they set any ground rules or critique your fashion sense a la "What Not to Wear"?

A CEO that I knew definitely spruced up and became better dressed and groomed when he started that position (in fact I suspect he started wearing Spanx for men). I doubt that his new duds were all self selected as he had always been a casual dresser who gave little thought to his clothes. I'm sure an image consultant was involved.

Last edited:
I'm typically an off-the-rack shopper, so my biggest investments in my past life (working) would have been business suits. Now that I'm retired, I spend very little on clothes. I do have an unnatural obsession with nice handbags, however. I'm not going to say how much $$ I have "invested" in those. :cool:

I'm typically an off-the-rack shopper, so my biggest investments in my past life (working) would have been business suits. Now that I'm retired, I spend very little on clothes. I do have an unnatural obsession with nice handbags, however. I'm not going to say how much $$ I have "invested" in those. :cool:

......or you could start a handbag thread! :LOL:

Back in late 1993 I promised myself that if I got the promotion I hoped to get, I would go out and buy a new suit. Just after Christmas I went to Macy's or A&S (I forget which) and bought one which was marked down. I also had a 20%-off coupon so the total cost ended up being around $225.

(Not quite as dramatic as Koogie's tale.....) :)

Several years ago I spent $600 - $800 on a suit. Last year I spent around $800 on clothing, mostly on hiking boots/shoes,running shoes, carhart coat, workboots and a couple pairs of jeans.

It's been so long I can't remember exactly but I bought several suits in the $600 range when I was younger, that's what I voted based on. Now I think my dress shoes (at about $325/pair) cost as much or more than my last few suits. Come to think of it, my GoreTex (sailing) foul weather suit probably cost more than the best wool dress suits I ever bought, and it was worth every penny - but probably not meant to be included for the purposes of this poll.

Last edited:
Last year I splurged on two 3 packs of Gold Toe socks. Probably 9 bucks. In reality I'm a hard to shop for type so I don't buy clothes and that gives others a chance to get me something needed - like the $200 leather jacket my daughters bought me for Christmas.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

......or you could start a handbag thread! :LOL:
I'm afraid the "snark factor" of that would make it a free-for-all condemning my frivolous economic foibles. Some things are better kept to ones self. :D

You guys blow me away.....we spent over $4K on clothing last year. In defense, a decent amount was athletic gear that often needs to be replaced at least once a year (several types of shoes, shirts that get nasty, etc). Also due to needing a different size (in the good direction).

Oh my, I don't really know what I was thinking. I was actually quite the clothes horse back in the day with hand made dress shirts and suits, along with a whole lot of other frivolous spending. I won't talk about how much I spent although now I consider it obscene. Only good thing is 20 years later suits are still in excellent condition so I still wear them. About 3 of the dress shirts are still crisp and wearable. I don't intend to ever spend money on "dress clothes" ever again.

I've bought one suit in my life, about 20 years ago that may have been over $200. I don't remember.

I'm fairly certain that's my only clothing purchase that's ever been 3 digits.

I presume this was in private industry. I can see why image would be important when you are the face of the company, but I am surprised that you were treated to a clothes allowance. Did they set any ground rules or critique your fashion sense a la "What Not to Wear"?

A CEO that I knew definitely spruced up and became better dressed and groomed when he started that position (in fact I suspect he started wearing Spanx for men). I doubt that his new duds were all self selected as he had always been a casual dresser who gave little thought to his clothes. I'm sure an image consultant was involved.

It was in private industry and we had a lot of blue chip clients to meet and impress. I think I got the allowance because I could be trusted then to keep my mouth shut about their indulgences as well... No, I was entrusted with my own choices. I have decent fashion sense. Just a hard to open wallet.

FWIW, I've worked at my own company for the last 10+ years. The last clothing purchase I made was two pairs of Levis on sale at Walmart for $40

See, everything reverts to the mean.... :D

I think the most I ever spent on clothes at one time was when I went from uniform into the fraud section. At the time I owned two suits and all of a sudden I needed ten or 12. Like most everyone else there I went to J.C. Penny's Men's Clothier. But only when they were on sale for $100 or less each.

Now I wear a suit about once a year for weddings/funerals and the like and jeans flannel shirts the rest of the time. I buy new stuff (on sale of course) only to replace what wears out.

Now if one includes motorcycle riding gear as "clothes" then the cost just went way up. A decent helmet, gear, boots and gloves is well north of $1k.

I get to wear pajamas at work so my clothing outlay is very minimal. :)

I bought a classic belted Burberry trenchcoat in London 20 years ago. I think the cost was about $800. Too bad I have grown too fat to button it. Fortunately the silk scarf and handbag that I purchased at the same time are still usable.

I've spent under $50/yr on clothes every year since my mid-20's. The most i've spent on a single item is around $60. A couple pair of jeans before I started buying Walmart jeans and one fancy shirt were all around $60 each. Now all I buy per year are a few pairs of boxers and socks per year and maybe a cheap t-shirt or 2.

Back
Top Bottom