CNBC Commentators increasingly negative. Is that bullish?

lightwaves

Recycles dryer sheets
Been watching CNBC quite alot lately and I have noticed how incredibly negative the anchors and commentators have become. It went over the top when Obama announced his budget yesterday. To me this is a bullish sign. These Wall Street types need to squeal in pain if we are to see the changes most of this country is looking for. It is a sign the Obama's change agenda is starting to bite. It will be painful in the short run but better for most of us in the long run I hope and believe. The howling on CNBC makes me feel better all the time and just maybe it signifies that a bottom is approaching. What do you think?

They have been negative for months and the market continues to tank. I hate the SOB's. I quit watching for the most part, but will occasionally check to see what the market is doing. Always negative commentary. :banghead:

Quite frankly there hasn't bee much positive news to report and the President hasn't exactly set a positive tone.

The best thing Obama could do for the markets would be to commit ritual suicide (sepeku) on the capital steps. It won't happen so batten down the hatches for the foreseeable future.

It went over the top when Obama announced his budget yesterday. To me this is a bullish sign. These Wall Street types need to squeal in pain if we are to see the changes most of this country is looking for. It is a sign the Obama's change agenda is starting to bite. It will be painful in the short run but better for most of us in the long run I hope and believe.

I don't watch CNBC, and I have no idea whether the markets have bottomed or not, but I agree with your observation that the changes being proposed are what is needed in the long run to turn this economy and country around.

It would not have been a pretty sight if they had CNBC in 1931. Talk about whipping everyone into a frenzy of fear...

I'm with lightwaves and RAE. I'd be much more concerned if the markets liked the medicine he is doling out.

DD

CNBC Commentators increasingly negative. Is that bullish?

Well, it's bull something...

I'm not sure where the fine line is between sugar-coating a serious problem, and being Chicken Little.

:)
Been watching CNBC quite alot lately and I have noticed how incredibly negative the anchors and commentators have become. It went over the top when Obama announced his budget yesterday. To me this is a bullish sign. These Wall Street types need to squeal in pain if we are to see the changes most of this country is looking for. It is a sign the Obama's change agenda is starting to bite. It will be painful in the short run but better for most of us in the long run I hope and believe. The howling on CNBC makes me feel better all the time and just maybe it signifies that a bottom is approaching. What do you think?

Sooooooooo... you personally are buying into the market right now?

Individual stocks/bonds - or an index?

(Incidentally, while reviewing your previous posts - yeah, I do that - I notice a conspicuous absence of posts from 9/16/08 through 2/12/09 - and I'm thinking "what's happened with the markets since 9/16? - hmmmmmm........" :-\ :-\ )

Maybe it's because GE stock has tanked.

jr
Yes! Actually! I think that has a LOT to do with it. Did GE cut their dividend today? I bet that is really hurting the CNBC reporters too.

I haven't been able to watch CNBC more than a minute at a time for the last several months and they keep getting worse. I have never heard so much bellyaching and whining and crying in my life. If anyone dares say anything positive, an anchor cuts them off or argues on top of them. Maybe they think if they cry and complain enough the world will go back to the happy "making money hand over fist" days of 2005-2006. They need to grow up and acknowledge that their world has changed - drastically changed.

Whomever posted that if wall street is squealing maybe what's happening is the right thing. I don't know - but maybe it is a bullish indicator - LOL!

I am so amused when the CNBC anchors/reports smugly declare that the market is "punishing" the administration somehow - as if wall street is getting its "revenge". These are tough times, and a bunch of crap has to be worked through, until we get through it all, the market is going to be highly unpredictable and there is not going to be a lot of uncertainty. That's just the way it is right now. The financial system blew itself up, and it's going to take time to clean up the mess.

Audrey

The best thing Obama could do for the markets would be to commit ritual suicide (sepeku) on the capital steps. It won't happen so batten down the hatches for the foreseeable future.

You don't want Obama to commit ritual suicide because then you would have Biden as President. With Joe at the wheel........never mind, it's too scary to even think about.

You don't want Obama to commit ritual suicide because then you would have Biden as President. With Joe at the wheel........never mind, it's too scary to even think about.

Hey, I like the Delaware Destroyer. He's going to be the most fun VP since Dan Quayle. :LOL:

Hey, I like the Delaware Destroyer. He's going to be the most fun VP since Dan Quayle. :LOL:

I agree is he is the gift that keeps on giving. Provide comic relief for the administration, and material for Leno, Letterman, Steward etc. But I think we'd see Dow 4,000 if Biden become President. Hell even I'd throw in the towel and capitulated if that happened

My comment was meant to reflect the current market reaction to any Washington moves. Tiny Tim speaks and the market tanks. Little Ben speaks and the market tanks. [moderator edit] Barak speaks and the market tanks. The market has decided that government is the problem and not the solution.

From what I've seen, our government is mucking things up. We have a stimulus bill that has more pork in it than a Luau that won't stimulate anything but the liberal agenda. That is being followed up with a massive spending bill that grows the size of the government. We get to pay mortgages for deadbeats, bail out states that have spent like drunken sailors and subsidize car companies we wouldn't buy cars from. Tax hikes are needed "on the wealthy" to pay for all this. Before its over, we'll all be in the "wealthy" camp.

Since our moderators are now sensitive to any obvious sarcasm directed towards [moderator edit] Barak, let me say that the government should step back and look at the mess they're creating. They won't. We're in for a long four years.

Now, back to CNBC....

I'm seeing the usual garbage both bearish and bullish but the overall tone is almost a hopelessness. That Santelli rant was probably the most entertaining of the recent stuff but it won't amount to anything.

I only watch it in the morning for a few minutes while I'm eating breakfast. I get to listen to Joe opine, watch Carl wonder about things and see if Becky has washed her hair lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe should watch MSNBC for [-]Obama Lovefest[/-] balance.

Maybe should watch MSNBC for [-]Obama Lovefest[/-] balance.

Yeah, watch MSNBC for 30 minutes and FOX for 30 minutes. :LOL: Where have you gone Walter?

cronkite_w_bio1.jpg

Yeah, watch MSNBC for 30 minutes and FOX for 30 minutes. :LOL: Where have you gone Walter?

That'll turn your brain to mush...

Becky is cute, if she'd just stop saying, "we're watching this very closely"...

Carl Quintanilla is the only prefessional in the bunch.

Watched FBN this morning. There was complete agreement among the commentators that the S&P 500 would sink below 600. Pessimism isn't limited to CNBC.

I like CNBC, watch it dailey. Rick Santelli hit the nail on the head last week when he asked if you wnt to pay for your neighbors bathroom. I also think Steve Leesman does a great job.

Maybe it's because GE stock has tanked.

jr

I caught a trio of them a few weeks ago saying something to the effect of
" we are banned from ownership of individual stocks which we used to oppose vehemently....but not anymore!"

I think it was Herrera and can't recall the other two.

While I can imagine how down they could be with much of their retirement plans in GE stock, I really think they deserve a lot of credit for remaining so positive about the current market. Day after day they (and a lot of speculator's money biding up equities in the premarket) cheerlead the market, only to have it slowly deteriorate over the course of the day before the last attempts to buoy it up at the close. I couldn't remain near as positive as they are. Then again, I'm sure their viewer base is better in a positive market than a negative one, so they are probably chosen to be as positive as possible no matter what they might really think. Years ago they used to have regulars on who were negative about the market like Jimmy Rodgers, but I think they found that presenting opposing views was not as important as ratings.

Oh well.....we all view things differently. CNBC commentators are any but positive to me. But I admit, I haven't watched a lot lately. I can get enough info from the internet and I watch a little PBS news. As I mentioned earlier, The Nightly Business Report gives a good 30 minute recap of the day. A very neutral approach.

Back
Top Bottom