Join Early Retirement Today

CNBC 'Survival Guide: BoomerAngst'
Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CNBC 'Survival Guide: BoomerAngst'

Saw a promo today for this. Tomorrow, Fri 5/16/08. "A generation faces unease due to a lack of savings and the unreliability of pensions and Social Security."

Most likely will have a heavy dose of CNBC scare tactics, but may be interesting.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #2

Hopefully it gets the ants to work longer. Keep paying into the system
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #3

Just finished watching it on CNBC -- noted that every one of the panelists had a recent book out -- and didn't hear anything that I suspect everyone on this forum already knows and is practicing.....
...diversify your portfolio
...plan for a long retirement
...used to be that retirees were advised that up to 5% could be withdrawn in the first year of retirement, with subsequent years' adjusted for inflation, but now "4% is the new 5%" to ensure that you'll have sufficient $$ for that long retirement
...never too late to start, but by all means, START to save for retirement
...many folks will continue to work at part-time jobs in retirement
...don't try to keep up with the Jones; they're probably spending $$ they don't have
...and of course, LBYM.

But for folks who don't frequent this board -- or the thousands of baby boomers who haven't saved a penny for retirement -- it might be a good kick in the pants for them. I hope.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

From the show: "people who work live longer, happier lives".
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
From the show: "people who work live longer, happier lives".
Don't assume "working" means being employed by MegaCorp or govt. You might be "working" for yourself managing your portfolio, maintaining your house and cars to keep costs down, etc. I think active, productive people do, generally, feel better about themselves which could lead to living longer.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Watched last night. Little info for anyone who frequents this board. A lot of good soundbites for boomers who haven't done much prep for retirement and need to get on the stick. A few not so good soundbites however.......

Of course, having the show open with Quinn recommending that boomers go hire a FP quickly followed by an Ameriprise commercial was a little disconcerting.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Don't assume "working" means being employed by MegaCorp or govt. You might be "working" for yourself managing your portfolio, maintaining your house and cars to keep costs down, etc. I think active, productive people do, generally, feel better about themselves which could lead to living longer.
I didn't make such assumption. I just reported what was said. You draw your own conclusions. I do personally draw much satisfaction and happiness from things you mentioned like managing our finances, wood working, gardening, cooking and so many other unpaid activities, but in the context of the show (geared toward people who aren't financially prepared for retirement), I am not certain that's what was meant by this sound bite. I agree with you though that there is a lot to be said about the benefits of work in general.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am not certain that's what was meant by this sound bite. I agree with you though that there is a lot to be said about the benefits of work in general.
Agreed!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #9

This was an affirmation of the collective thinking of members of this board.
Not anything new at all. Shameless book promotions. Some questionable (like some of Suze's quick sound bites) suggestions.

I'm starting to think that the national financial literacy that is being touted should begin with people subscribing to this forum.

Tags
cooking