Join Early Retirement Today

CNBC Viewership Plunges To 21 Year Lows
Old 10-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CNBC Viewership Plunges To 21 Year Lows

Like many others here, I quit watching the financial noise channel decades ago, and it appears I was following the herd out the door. Not surprising, but a quantitative appraisal of CNBCs value?
Quote:
It's over: whether due to the complete domination of centrally-planned markets by a few central banks, whether as a result of HFTs forcing out all human traders and investors, whether due to volatility plunging to record lows and complacency at record highs, whether viewers simply aren't impressed by the new young, female faces that are increasingly taking over the primetime financial TV slots, because people are tired of Cramer's endless "caffeine" high and endless attempts to justify a record disconnect between manipulated record high "markets" and a stagnant economy in which some 53 million workers are "freelancers", or simply because video game consoles don't watch TV, America's interest with finance and the stock market is over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.3 KB, 80 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Now what: Will they get even more outlandish to try to get the numbers up? Will they throw in the towel? I doubt it. All of the cable channels have taken a hit as the number of viewing options has expanded. I'm guessing that a viewership comprised of people with available cash who are presumably looking for a place to invest it (and maybe spend some, too) will continue to be sought by advertisers.
So, the circus will continue.
Maybe they'll do their live remotes from the trading floor in bikinis.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And nothing of value was lost...
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never watched CNBC, expect perhaps by accident at an airport. If the viewership starts getting up to 2001 and 2008 levels, lets us all know and we can sell short.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

There is a station called CNBC?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Like many others here, I quit watching the financial noise channel decades ago, and it appears I was following the herd out the door. Not surprising, but a quantitative appraisal of CNBCs value?

I still watch an hour or so of CNBC a week. I am surprised with the stock market performance that more people aren't watching. Another explanation is the Fox business channel (which is CNBC light IMO) is siphoning off viewers along with the general decline of cable TV viewership.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Can a person watch CNBC or Fox business channel without cable?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #8

Blame Boggle and all those darn Index Funds
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watch CNBC every morning for an hour or so......before Cramer comes on the air.

Say what you want but CNBC is the number 1 financial TV broadcast channel, second to no other financial channel I know of. On the other hand I can get stock updates on my smart phone, google financial news and what you have to ask yourself is how has the value of broadcast financial news changed over the years. I'm heavily into index funds,trade seldom but enjoy watching financial news. I like seeing Warren Buffet, CEO's of major corporations, hear about financial events around the world and I get those on CNBC. I did sell my European index funt (not much in it) after listening to CNBC one day.

If you want financial news, what broadcast channels or programs do you watch that you prefer over CNBC?
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
They are cable channels.

That said - CNBC used to be part of basic cable... and since our system didn't scramble basic cable - you could pick it up with a cable ready tv... About a year ago CNBC stopped being available without a cable box from the cable company, or a cable card.

I have the bottom of the bottom of the basic cable (standard def non-premium channels). I don't get CNBC... I get all the other "basic" cable channels.

I think CNBC insisted on having their channel encrypted (hence the requirement for cable card or cable box) even though they are basic cable... that lost them market share.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well good, because it's total crap now!

I used to watch it pretty avidly from the mid 90s to mid 2000s, then started watching less when it seemed to gradually become more political, and finally several years ago totally gave up it had become so editorial and rabid - spin, spin, spin.

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

It's amazing how so many cable shows have lost viewers as people get turned off by the ridiculous programming and sensationalism (nature channels, even the weather channel). Yet what so they do? Pile on even more of the same crap.

So it was easy to drop cable completely at the beginning of this year.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So it was easy to drop cable completely at the beginning of this year.
+1

I could kick myself for not doing it a couple of years ago.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think the programming was initially good, very informative, lots of interviews and raw information, and they didn't overdo the spin - or at least it was fairly tongue-in-cheek.

I noticed that through the 2008-2010 financial crisis, the CNBC "voice" really struggled as their instincts were to defend the Wall Street industry that had created such a disastrous mess. After that, they seemed to get completely mired in the general political divisiveness that took over the country. Just sounded like a me too shop after that - nothing distinctive at all except for a continuous parade of pundits of the day.

I actually don't think the problem is Cramer (or any of the reasons listed in the above quote). As nutty as the guy comes across, often he is one of the few sane voices. I hope his 2008 scream that "they (the Fed and the Treasury) know nothing!" is never forgotten as he was completely correct in the face of massive denial. He was vilified at the time, and boy did he show them.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I could kick myself for not doing it a couple of years ago.
I really can't believe how impossibly bad cable channels like Nat Geo got. They used to have wonderful programming!

I really enjoyed the cable programming in the 90s: Travel Channel, various DIY channels, a few channels that would run the great old mystery shows. Then somehow by the late 2000s it got taken over with weird reality shows and contest shows. You couldn't turn on A&E without running into the whatever city housewives or Bridezilla or whatever.

Weather channel used to the the Weather Channel. Then it became the sensationalized re-enactments Weather History Channel (some of which wasn't even true). If people want to watch news about the weather (current and forecast), and something else is on, they change channels!!! I thinks it's dropped now from many cable line-ups?

An illustration: what happened to The Discovery Channel and their Shark Week
Shark Week loses nine million viewers, but Discovery says "everyone is absolutely thrilled" - Science Sushi | DiscoverMagazine.com

Sorry Fans, Discovery has Jumped the Shark Week
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Midpack -is there a link for your quote and graph?

I found it: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...s-21-year-lows

One of the comments is "Fire Joe Kernan", LOL!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #16

I still watch CNBC when I'm getting ready for work in the morning BUT I'm getting tired of Joe Kernan's over-talking everyone. I listen in sometimes on satellite radio if they have an interesting guest. I could never stand Kudlow....mainly it's his voice....I know that's not a good reason but there it is. I use to watch Mad Money but not so much any more, too many booyahs and props.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I still watch CNBC when I'm getting ready for work in the morning BUT I'm getting tired of Joe Kernan's over-talking everyone. I listen in sometimes on satellite radio if they have an interesting guest. I could never stand Kudlow....mainly it's his voice....I know that's not a good reason but there it is. I use to watch Mad Money but not so much any more, too many booyahs and props.
Can you understand Joe? He mumbles so much I have a hard time understanding what he is saying.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post

Satellite TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Notice the ratings in the crash years. This is why most cable channels love misery. News or news-like channels prefer bad times, and even manufacture them if you ask me.

In some circumstances, it is disgraceful.

I pretty much have stopped watching all these channels. I especially mourn the loss of The Weather Channel of old.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have it on in the background from 5AM to market close.

Best case: Pick things up through osmosis.
Worse case: Makes a quiet house less quiet.