Join Early Retirement Today

CNN Article on Wealth
Old 09-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CNN Article on Wealth

To me it's interesting to understand other people's perspective on what wealth is.

What 'wealth' means to women - Sep. 6, 2017

From the article:

"Women prefer security to material wealth or luxury. When asked which they'd prefer, never having to worry about money in the future or being able to buy whatever they want right now, 84% of women said they'd prefer peace of mind in the future, compared to 78% of men.
On average, the women surveyed said they'd consider around $2.4 million the number required to be considered "wealthy." That's nearly 30 times the net worth of U.S. households.
Of the 1,000 people Schwab surveyed, 27% defined wealth as reaching a specific savings goal. Of those, women chose a slightly higher amount than men. But the difference between estimates from men and women wasn't huge: men picked closer to $2.38 million, women picked closer to $2.39 million."
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #2

The authors are stretching to find differences between men and women on this subject

Quote:
They also prefer security to material wealth or luxury. When asked which they'd prefer, never having to worry about money in the future or being able to buy whatever they want right now, 84% of women said they'd prefer peace of mind in the future, compared to 78% of men.
84% v/s 78% - that's like the ridiculous hilarious debates we have here about the exact SWR.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
To me it's interesting to understand other people's perspective on what wealth is.

What 'wealth' means to women - Sep. 6, 2017

From the article:

"Women prefer security to material wealth or luxury. When asked which they'd prefer, never having to worry about money in the future or being able to buy whatever they want right now, 84% of women said they'd prefer peace of mind in the future, compared to 78% of men.
On average, the women surveyed said they'd consider around $2.4 million the number required to be considered "wealthy." That's nearly 30 times the net worth of U.S. households.
Of the 1,000 people Schwab surveyed, 27% defined wealth as reaching a specific savings goal. Of those, women chose a slightly higher amount than men. But the difference between estimates from men and women wasn't huge: men picked closer to $2.38 million, women picked closer to $2.39 million."
Interesting article. Were they asking woman that worked in the grocery store? Or woman that had husbands for Doctors.? Im assuming the later. They should have rang a few doorbells in my old neighborhood. The Avon lady still came to our place, definately not Charles Schwab and company.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Interesting article. Were they asking woman that worked in the grocery store? Or woman that had husbands for Doctors.? Im assuming the later. They should have rang a few doorbells in my old neighborhood. The Avon lady still came to our place, definately not Charles Schwab and company.
Yeah, if you asked the average person on the street I bet they would say 1 million.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #5

Sample size was 1000 and was supposed to span "all demographics" - for instance 275 boomers out of the 1000. I agree the number is high and the sampling technique likely selected something other than "representative across all demographics".

This is not scholarly research and more a sales tool for Schwab (says captain obvious....)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Yeah, if you asked the average person on the street I bet they would say 1 million.
+1
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Sample size was 1000 and was supposed to span "all demographics" - for instance 275 boomers out of the 1000. I agree the number is high and the sampling technique likely selected something other than "representative across all demographics".

This is not scholarly research and more a sales tool for Schwab (says captain obvious....)
Ahh, this makes sense , a sales tool +1
Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
From the article:

"When asked which they'd prefer, never having to worry about money in the future or being able to buy whatever they want right now, 84% of women said they'd prefer peace of mind in the future, compared to 78% of men."
If I could buy whatever I want right now, I would buy an annuity that gives off several million dollars a year....
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
84% of women said they'd prefer peace of mind in the future, compared to 78% of men.
."

Key word here is Said.
In real life most women I know, like most men I know, spend instead of save.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
If I could buy whatever I want right now, I would buy an annuity that gives off several million dollars a year....
Hahahah
Old 09-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LOL...That is like the classic answer to "What if a genie appeared and granted you one wish?" "I'd wish for unlimited wishes!" I've been locked and loaded for that genie since I was 8....

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Easy to do. Example, if you want 3m a year for 5 years, just pay 16m up front.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

"In our society, there's some peg that you're a millionaire, you're in the 2%" -- is that closer to ~10%?

From the Schwab PR: "Locals say it takes $3.2 million to be considered wealthy in NYC. About half (48 percent) say they are already millionaires or believe they can reach that level, while the other half (52 percent) say they don’t have any hope."

I think their "key national findings" showed something much more substantive than the gender differences described in the CNN story: the kids are alright! RIP Keith
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

3.2 M in NYC- "wealthy " : nah, "comfortable " maybe

Over 2 M in LCOL area: comfortable, but not wealthy
(Yeh , we're "comfortable ")

Over 10 M-- now you're talking
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
gone traveling

If you can imagine buying anything you want now, by definition to me you wouldn't need to worry about money in the future. Same things as I see it.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
The authors are stretching to find differences between men and women on this subject

84% v/s 78% - that's like the ridiculous hilarious debates we have here about the exact SWR.

Everyone knows the right SWR is 3.28596%.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post

+1 Im with you on all 3 points.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #18

We can discuss what the number will be, but we will never agree on what should be included in that number, or how to calculate those elements.

The typical bandits:

How do we value Pensions? (With or without COLA)
How do we value Social Security? (And then of course, when should we take it?)
How do we value health care that is paid for by a previous employer?
How do we value large assets, that may be illiquid? (Homes, businesses, farm land, artwork)

And then- What do you use for expected lifespan, future market returns, inflation, changes in the tax landscape, changes in the healthcare landscape, etc.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post

Depends on age too, right?

If you're 18 and have $1M, you're rich. If you're 65 and have $1m, you have just barely enough to retire on...
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

If you liked that article, then there is this one today in the NYTimes about "the rich" and just mostly about women in NY who might be considered rich and what they spend their money on:

What the Rich Won't Tell You

Not covered in the article is that the rich wipe their butts just like the rest of us.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote