Join Early Retirement Today

CNN: The Market Going Down 60%
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CNN: The Market Going Down 60%

Saw it on CNN, it must be true, fellow has a good record and great charts:

Market Collapse Predicted By Scientist

Funny, I am not selling off my equities for bonds or cash or gold. Nothing I can do with this precious information.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #2

funny....I saw a report that said the market was going UP 60%!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Saw it on CNN, it must be true, fellow has a good record and great charts:

Market Collapse Predicted By Scientist

Funny, I am not selling off my equities for bonds or cash or gold. Nothing I can do with this precious information.

the point of every MoneyNews article I've seen is to try to sell some service to you.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If you read it on the internet, it must be true!
marc515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
But... But... But... He had CHARTS!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
gone traveling

i would put that report next to this-

Dow 40, 000: Strategies for Profiting from the Greatest Bull Market in History: David Elias: 9780071351287: Amazon.com: Books
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
And I'm a French model: "Bonjour!"
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Will that be before or after the asteroid hits?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #9

Good ol' Newsmax. The best source for totally unbiased information in the entire planet.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Two years ago, we attended one of those "free" dinners hosted by a FA. His pitch was that the market will continue to be "sideways" until 2020, and therefore we should all buy a "sound financial plan," plus alternative investments - from him.

Last week, we attended another dinner (theme was "retirement planning), where the FA's pitch was that the market will go even higher, then crash, and the way to survive the inevitable crash is to pay him for a sound financial plan, plus alternative investments - where we are guaranteed not to lose everything, because he uses stop-losses.

I always wonder why these crystal ball gazers still need to work at selling financial services to other people. Why don't they take their billions and retire to an island?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #11

Well apparently the article is good news !

Quote:
The first “top” was in 1999, followed by a 60% market decline. The second “top” was in 2007, again followed by a 60% market plunge. And a third top has now formed, and a 60% stock market drop is inevitable - and it could strike at any moment.

Unfortunately, Martenson is not the only economist predicting a massive, historic meltdown.

In fact, his figures are conservative compared to other experts in his field.
In a recent interview, Robert Wiedemer — an economist best known for correctly predicting the collapse of the U.S. housing market of 2006 and the stock market collapse of 2008 — provides disturbing evidence for 50 percent unemployment, a 90 percent stock market crash, and 100 percent annual inflation . . . starting this year.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #12

Thanks for the link to the "Dow 40,000" book. The Amazon web site had links to similar jewels from the recent past, including this one published in 2006:

Why the Real Estate Boom Will Not Bust - And How You Can Profit from It: How to Build Wealth in Today's Expanding Real Estate Market: David Lereah: 9780385514354: Amazon.com: Books

Then there's "Dow 36,000" and even "Dow 100,000". I wish they'd get their forecasts straight!

Of course, I remember as a kid in the 60's watching Walter Cronkite read the Dow Jones Industrials report and as I recall it was somewhere in the 600-800 range.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Didn't I recently read something about Jack Bogle saying that the market could drop 50%? 50%...60%?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Thanks for the link to the "Dow 40,000" book. The Amazon web site had links to similar jewels from the recent past, including this one published in 2006:

Why the Real Estate Boom Will Not Bust - And How You Can Profit from It: How to Build Wealth in Today's Expanding Real Estate Market: David Lereah: 9780385514354: Amazon.com: Books

Then there's "Dow 36,000" and even "Dow 100,000". I wish they'd get their forecasts straight!

Of course, I remember as a kid in the 60's watching Walter Cronkite read the Dow Jones Industrials report and as I recall it was somewhere in the 600-800 range.
from David Lereah Watch.....

David Lereah Watch

David Lereah is the former Chief Economist and Senior VP of the National Association of Realtors (NAR). Between 2001 and 2007, Mr. Lereah regularly made statements regarding the housing bubble. The media regulary turned to him for real estate quotes. He was very influential. Mr. Lereah tells half truths and manipulates facts and figures. He cannot be trusted as he was a paid shill.

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:

Re the comment above about Jack Bogel predicting a 50% market decline-- he did, over the next decade. And that would be after it goes up first, I'm sure.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #16

Whatever the market does, I have been advised by my friends on this website to keep the Wellesley I bought a few weeks ago. A thread was started on this topic. BUY AND HOLD :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #17

Another distinguished graduate of the Harry Dent and Robert Pretcher school of forecasting -

The Harry Dent Indicator

The Embarrassing Track Record of Robert Prechter (Part 1) - AVA Investment Analytics
Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The market will go down.
At some point in time.
And then it will go back up.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

The market will go down.
At some point in time.
And then it will go back up.
+1

I'm always amused by these "predictions", as with anything cyclic one can predict it going up or down and occasionally be right. As the saying goes, "even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while".

What is sadder is that the news media doesn't convey this message. When it goes down, they generally act as if it will never go up again. When it goes up, they act as if it eventually going down again will can panic in he streets, cats and dogs living together, etc. But I guess taking the calm and steady view doesn't draw enough eyes to sell advertising space or attract website hits.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I always wonder why these crystal ball gazers still need to work at selling financial services to other people. Why don't they take their billions and retire to an island?
Quite a few did - retired comfortably - right after the last crash...