Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
BLS53, what Spanky said.....the Gubmint Index. The annual January increase is a 'locked-in' guaranteed amount. The annual July increase fluctuates and is based on some sort of equation based upon # of current retirees and # of Gov't employers paying in to the pension fund.....then the pension fund people do some sort of diabolical cyphering to determine an amount that each of those Gov't employers are required to kick-in to fund the July 'bonus' payment. This year the amount we received was equivalent to 55.405% of our normal monthly pension check. There's legislation pending that would lock the amount in at the equivalent of 75% of our monthly check. That's one reason that I keep active in 'senior affairs', and in touch with our elected officials down at the capitol.
Interesting, never heard of that before. Looks like us military retirees need stronger lobbiest. I'd like a piece of that action
BLS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
gone traveling

The only thing that can reduce the 6.2% is a negative August and/or September.

http://www.narfe.org/departments/leg...les.cfm?ID=942

~
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
The only thing that can reduce the 6.2% is a negative August and/or September.

http://www.narfe.org/departments/leg...les.cfm?ID=942

~
In the last 10 years (not much of a sample I know - but I'm too lazy to lok up the longer timeframe data), that has happened twice. So it wouldn't be a great shock for it to happen again.

Particularly since the two times it happened were the last two years. Fortunately, it wasn't a BIG drop in the average. (.1 % I think for both times).

Rick
rickier55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only year in the past 14 years was FY 2006 (Sep below July) http://www.moaa.org/serv/serv_payben...c/lac_cola.htm
Old 08-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Only year in the past 14 years was FY 2006 (Sep below July) http://www.moaa.org/serv/serv_payben...c/lac_cola.htm
It's the average of the quarter, not the final September number that determine the cpi increase. for 2007 the July-Aug-Sept avg was .1 below the July number.

Hence, the two years.

Rick
rickier55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
6.2 Cola for mil & fed retirees, huh?

For active employees & mil Bush has proposed 2.9 & 3.4 respectively, but Congress is set to pass 3.9 for both.

You'd think the fed govt would have a sane COLA policy based on some realistic economic indicator & that applies across the board to civilian, military, & retirees without having to go through all these political gyrations every year.
I agree. When I was on active duty, it used to p**s me off that retirees often got a bigger pay bump (on a percentage basis) than I did. I'm retired now, will certainly accept the increase to my pension, but would have absolutely no problem if I got no COLA adjustment IF the money I didn't get would go to the active duty and Guard folks who are making such great sacrifices at the moment. They deserve the money a lot more than I do.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I agree. When I was on active duty, it used to p**s me off that retirees often got a bigger pay bump (on a percentage basis) than I did. I'm retired now, will certainly accept the increase to my pension, but would have absolutely no problem if I got no COLA adjustment IF the money I didn't get would go to the active duty and Guard folks who are making such great sacrifices at the moment. They deserve the money a lot more than I do.
Any of the NGO's that support Veteran's will take the donation. I think they would be in a better position, and do a much better job of, "targeting" the funds.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #28

Off topic a bit but I'm curious about something. Usually wage inflation outpaces inflation but not now. So in the past new retirees generally fared better than older retirees. Now I assume the opposite might be true if this trend continues. Am I thinking correctly?
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #29

Could very well be the current trend. I have been "retired" for 29 years and the COLA increase has been 113.2% (1979-this year), on a non-compounded rate. This is a bit clouded as in the early years the index was not pure CPI, but it is close. Not sure what the wage index increases for the same period were.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So even if you do not collect SS yet, this factors into the payments you would get when you do decide to take them, right?

I don't think my expenses have gone up anywhere near that this year, but in previous years they outstripped inflation, just from the increase in my health insurance.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote