Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #61
gone traveling

All this also assumes the spousal benefit aspect is irrelevant.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I see the OP is 'Gone travelling"...I THINK it's the same guy who was on this board months ago with a similar story...in addition to no friends, wanting to move to the midwest, and liking to "watch people" in the mall....

Is it that person?

I'm not even on these boards that much and I thought I'd read this story before.....obviously SOMEONE caught it but I don't think I've seen it mentioned

The replies are still worth reading even if it WAS a troll!!!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
I see the OP is 'Gone travelling"...I THINK it's the same guy who was on this board months ago with a similar story...in addition to no friends, wanting to move to the midwest, and liking to "watch people" in the mall....

Is it that person?
Ding! Ding! Ding!

No more phone calls folks, we have a winner!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's freaking hilarious! I wonder if there's a grain of truth in his story, that he did get fired from a government job. If only he'd have put the same effort into work as he does his trolling...
Old 10-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #65
Gone but not forgotten

From retirement @ age 53, to age 62, living expenses were coming from savings. At age 62 the SS $$$ sure looked good. Now, nearing age 82, no complaints.
Not too good at math, and maybe left some on the table, but nearly a half million $$$ smoothed the in between years. No regrets.

oops... Late again to the party...
Old 10-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
March 5, 2004: 10,295.55
March 5, 2009: 6,594.44
Percent change: (37.76%)

In 2004 there were 33 days where the 5 year Dow return has been lower than (25%).
Error in your % of change, it's actually (35.94%).

You did find an absolute period to period drop, However that wasn't a sustained drop of over 25% for that 5 year period.

Also, the drop on 3/5/09 was really short lived as well, recovering back to the 3/5/04 level in Nov 2009. It's all about timing in the market for sure.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

The market is unknown, your LE is unknown. There is no 'answer', only a process to use to make a decision.

-ERD50

Well said!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #68

Quote:
I see the OP is 'Gone travelling"...I THINK it's the same guy who was on this board months ago with a similar story
Nice catch!

At some point he will run out of nearby Starbucks with their unique IP addresses and won't be able to register a new account here, but you have to admire his tenacity.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I started taking SS in 2010. Then I invested what I would have spent if no SS in Bitcoins. DW is amazed.

P.S. I really did take SS at age 64. Not for everyone though.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

While I am a long ways from 62, I am already debating whether I should take SS at 62 (or slightly thereafter) or pull from my Rollover Traditional IRA until I am 70 and then take SS. My problem is that I was a really good saver in my 401K/IRA. Maybe too good of a saver, because financial calculator's show that if I don't touch it, my Rollover IRA balance will be very large by the time I reach 70.

I'm concerned that if I don't start drawing my IRA down early in my 60's, I will be forced to take large RMD's when I am 70.5 that will push me out of the 15% tax bracket and will make more of my SS taxable. I would like to have some ability to manage my taxable income and tax bracket once RMD's start.

I guess I have one other option....I can do IRA to Roth conversions. Thankfully, I have many years to consider my options.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalLady View Post
While I am a long ways from 62, I am already debating whether I should take SS at 62 (or slightly thereafter) or pull from my Rollover Traditional IRA until I am 70 and then take SS. My problem is that I was a really good saver in my 401K/IRA. Maybe too good of a saver, because financial calculator's show that if I don't touch it, my Rollover IRA balance will be very large by the time I reach 70.

I'm concerned that if I don't start drawing my IRA down early in my 60's, I will be forced to take large RMD's when I am 70.5 that will push me out of the 15% tax bracket and will make more of my SS taxable. I would like to have some ability to manage my taxable income and tax bracket once RMD's start.

I guess I have one other option....I can do IRA to Roth conversions. Thankfully, I have many years to consider my options.

and in that time the rules will change back and forth, so your best course of action won't be clear until the time comes. In the meantime, put as much money away as you can, tax deferred.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Life expectancy for females is 81.2 years and for males, it's 76.4 years. You might be able to beat the stat, however.
Those are life expectancies at birth.

More appropriate for planning purposes in this form is the life expectancy based on your current age.

Here's an actuarial table that SSA uses (which most agree currently underestimates longevity, but hasn't been revised in a while):
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

For every 100,000 males born, almost 35% live past the age of 85. And upon reaching 85, they would still have an average of almost 6 years remaining.

And if you have wealth, your changes for increased longevity are increased on average.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Is it that person?

I'm not even on these boards that much and I thought I'd read this story before.....obviously SOMEONE caught it but I don't think I've seen it mentioned

The replies are still worth reading even if it WAS a troll!!!!!
That's funny! Do you have a link to the alter ego post?

No matter, a few of these trolls have started some good conversations. As long as we get something out of it, who cares if they were having some twisted fun?

Can't quite understand what would be fun about this, but it takes all kinds I guess.

-ERD50
Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue collar guy
Old 10-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
Blue collar guy
Well, he is gone travellin' as well (not sure what happened, I suppose the offending posts were deleted), but other than that, I don't really see the connection.

Oh well, those who know (appropriately) won't say, so unless some obvious clues come to light, it will probably remain a mystery.

-ERD50
Old 10-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, he is gone travellin' as well (not sure what happened, I suppose the offending posts were deleted), but other than that, I don't really see the connection.

Oh well, those who know (appropriately) won't say, so unless some obvious clues come to light, it will probably remain a mystery.

-ERD50
I like BCG. Was afraid he went missing because his mother was ill. I know he wrote often of taking care of her. Hope he and his family are well.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #77

Darn Trolled out before I got in.
I'll be getting survivor benefits next year, but that's not why I'm waiting till 70 to draw SS :
The real reason is there's about a 1:6,000,000,000 chance I'm the Highlander.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #78

I'm 59.5 and waiting to see what happens to the market on the 62-70 SS decision, but for now plan to take it at full retirement age.
If the market does very badly, I would consider taking it early. If it continues going up and up, then might delay until 67, 68, 69, or 70.
It's kind of a put on the market--although I don't think it makes much of a difference, in the end. It is interesting listening to everyone's specific case, logic, and decisions.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:54 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
I'm 59.5 and waiting to see what happens to the market on the 62-70 SS decision, but for now plan to take it at full retirement age.
If the market does very badly, I would consider taking it early. If it continues going up and up, then might delay until 67, 68, 69, or 70.
It's kind of a put on the market--although I don't think it makes much of a difference, in the end. It is interesting listening to everyone's specific case, logic, and decisions.
I am with ya. I'm treating SS like a fire extinguisher on the wall. If the market makes a SERIOUS retreat, I'll pull it off the wall and squeeze. Right now, I'm waiting.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
+1 This is me.
Closed Thread