College / financial aid

BTY - my 87 yr. old mom is still ready for the Great Drepression to return,
My parents think like that too, unclemick. My mother envisions her children and their families returning to the family farm where we would grow vegetables, raise chickens, and survive off the land when it all caves in. Farm land is viewed as the safest investment because it has intrinsic value - it can feed you if needed, plus the land returns around 5% on a cash rent basis, which looks pretty good today. The depression had a profound effect on those who lived through it.

One positive effect of the depression on my father was that he valued education so highly that he got his college degree AFTER he retired via the local JC and weekend/night classes at Portland State - 70's and early 80's - they never had an income of over 17k/yr and had a pretty good retirement. (no house or car payments though).

That is incredible that he got his degree after he retired. That generation was made of strong stuff.

Another positive effect of the depression was a general sense of low expectations. They expected the worst, prepared for it, and were continually pleased when things worked out better than anticipated. Our generation tends to have high expectations and feels disappointment when things don't work out as planned.

Well, here are some thoughts, hopefully not too far off topic. First, I was in Barnes and Noble today and the Feb. issue of Kiplinger Personal Finance (??) had a feature article
about college aid. It may be of interest to some of you.

I only have an associate degree from a local junior college, but I managed to become president/CEO
of four (4) small corporations, starting at age 32.
It held me back a bit early on, but after I had some
solid experience it (lack of a 4 year degree) was
a non-issue.

My oldest daughter was very talented (singing,
dancing, etc.). She and I visited one school where
she sang for the Music Dept. Director to see if she could get a scholarship. I thought maybe they would send
us a letter in a few weeks. When she finished, the
Director said, "You're in!" As someone said, if they want
you (for whatever reason), you have leverage. When
I went to college, no one much cared as long as I showed up with a check.

John Galt

I'm not sure I believe this - but my oldest nephew's now wife was 'recruited' by the Naval Academy because she sailed competitively since age 8. Crew I understand - but sailing?? They did buy a Creola 32(?) after graduation.

I live about an hour away from a naval base, and some of the officers and naval architects I know are excellent sailors. They probably wanted her because of her love of the sea, great boat handling skills, and because she doesn't get sea sick :)

I have a vague awareness of sailboat classes and racing - I have a buddy still working at the old plant who races on Lake Ponchartrain. But not in college?? That's why I think he's 'pulling my leg'. She probably got recruited the old fashioned way.

FarmerEd,

I just did the FAFSA online for my daughter who is a senior in HS and will start college next fall. I encountered a surprise, and I'm not 100% sure why it happened, but here's what I think it is:

If you use a 1040A or a 1040EZ, or if you use a 1040 but could have used a 1040A or 1040EZ, you do not need to disclose your assets. I do believe that some schools may ask for that anyway, but some don't. I happen to be able to use a 1040A, so the FAFSA let's me take a pass on disclosing assets. I do suspect that my income will put me over the top anyway, but next year, after I ER, that could change. So that may be a strategy to examine. Strange system!

The talk about the sailing scholarship reminded me of the story of the newlywed couple who were guests at a swimming pool party. The young wife, who was Italian, was in the pool doing laps while her husband and another guest were standing beside the pool watching.

The other guest commented that the man's wife was a great swimmer and asked if she had been on the Italian Olympic team. "No," her husband answered, "Actually, she was a street walker in Venice."

Back
Top Bottom