Join Early Retirement Today

Re: College financial aid. PROFILE Pre-Application worksheet.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Sam,
May be I will try next year. Have you tried the Jackie Robinson Scholarship? It offers $7000 per year. The deadline is 3/1. Good luck.

Spanky
Thanks. I will look at it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
From what I gather, the out-of-state school (Madison) is not likely to offer (much) money to an out of state applicant. It would not be out of the question for the kid to take up residence there to get in-state rates for maybe the last two years?

-ERD50
My daughter has been accepted into UW-Madison. Decision on scholarship will be mailed starting in March, 07. Based on my interactions with a couple of financial officers, UW does not offer generous merit scholarship in terms of amount and quantity. Last year they gave out 5 awards (from $800 to $2000) for National Merit Scholarship finalists. The amount would be higher (about $3,000 per year) for Wisconsin residents. The freshman merit scholarship varies from ? to $3,000. They also have a scholarship for outstanding engineering freshmen in the amount of $1,000.

Since our state (Minnesota) has a reciprocity policy with Wisconsin, her tuition is only slightly higher than the in-state tuition. The full cost is cheaper to attend UW than to attend U of Minnesota. However, U of MN offers a $12K per year scholarship plus another $2,000 per year if she declares them as the first college choice for the National Merit Scholarship Program.

Anyway, I think you can apply for in-state tuition after a year.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My daughter has been accepted into UW-Madison.

Anyway, I think you can apply for in-state tuition after a year.
Looks like they block that - from this, and #11, it appears you would need to take up residence in WI for one year while *not* attending school, fill out state tax forms, etc.

I may still call them - my daughter has great academics and was accepted n the ME program at Madison. I know most schools are really trying to promote females/minorities in Engineering, it couldn't hurt to ask. But, suddenly, she is more interested in U of I Champaign - so we will see.

This might be different for Minn and the reciprocity - ERD50

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url]http://registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/faq.php?ans=12#12
[/url]
12. What if I am a nonresident - will I ever become a resident?

If you enter and remain in Wisconsin principally to attend an educational institution during the twelve months you are attempting to establish bona fide residence in Wisconsin, you are presumed to continue to reside outside the state. This presumption remains in effect until you are able to demonstrate you have overcome the presumption with clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence in the state for the year next preceding a term for which you wish to enroll at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Wisconsin Statutes 36.27.(2) Section (e).

Generally, a student who enters Wisconsin to attend any educational institution will continue in the nonresident status until the student's reason for being in Wisconsin is clearly shown to be non-educational. Twelve months after the change in the student's reason for being in Wisconsin, the student may wish to inquire about appealing their nonresident status.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #44

ERD50,

U of Illinois has an outstanding engineering program. Most of the big-ten schools are highly recognized in their engineering discipline. Personally, I do not think the reputation of the school matters that much in finding a job in engineering. If reputation is of concern, get a graduate degree from one of the prestigious engineering schools, i.e., MIT, Cal Berkeley, CalTech, Standford, Georgia Tech, U of Illinois, Purdue, Carnegie Mellon, etc. The most important factors to choose which college to attend are cost, teaching methods, and culture.

Spanky
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD50,

U of Illinois has an outstanding engineering program. Most of the big-ten schools are highly recognized in their engineering discipline. Personally, I do not think the reputation of the school matters that much in finding a job in engineering. If reputation is of concern, get a graduate degree from one of the prestigious engineering schools, i.e., MIT, Cal Berkeley, CalTech, Standford, Georgia Tech, U of Illinois, Purdue, Carnegie Mellon, etc. The most important factors to choose which college to attend are cost, teaching methods, and culture.

Spanky
Agreed - the funny thing is, she also got interested in Industrial Design, and of the schools she was interested in, only U of I Champaign had an Industrial Design program, so she applied and got accepted to that school rather than the School of Eng.

The funnier thing is, I was the one that put the Industrial Design idea in her head, because she is good at both art and math and science. Now, I think engineering might be better for her, but she is set on the Ind Design path.

We will see. She is bright, personable, and a hard worker, so I'm sure she will succeed in whatever she does. You never know where life will lead you....

-ERD50

Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Agreed - the funny thing is, she also got interested in Industrial Design, and of the schools she was interested in, only U of I Champaign had an Industrial Design program, so she applied and got accepted to that school rather than the School of Eng.

The funnier thing is, I was the one that put the Industrial Design idea in her head, because she is good at both art and math and science. Now, I think engineering might be better for her, but she is set on the Ind Design path.

We will see. She is bright, personable, and a hard worker, so I'm sure she will succeed in whatever she does. You never know where life will lead you....

-ERD50

It's funny that my daughter is also talented in art, music and math. For now, her major is electrical engineering. That could change at any time. I have tried (not too hard) to convince her that pharmacy or medicine is a more lucrative career track, but she wants to stay with the current track. I support whatever she chooses. After all, you have to enjoy what you do. I also suggest that she keeps up her interests in art and music as part of personal growth. I heard stories of medical doctors becoming artists as they have acquire sufficient wealth to pursue personal interests.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #47

Quote:
For now, her major is electrical engineering. That could change at any time. I have tried (not too hard) to convince her that pharmacy or medicine is a more lucrative career track, but she wants to stay with the current track.
One of the great things about an engineering degree is that it can be utilized in any field, so how about bio-medical engineering or just taking that EE degree into the medical or pharma device companies.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I heard stories of medical doctors becoming artists as they have acquire sufficient wealth to pursue personal interests.
Exactly. One of my favorite sayings is: "Jazz is a career you have to save up for."

Engineer then musician: Works great.
Musician then engineer: not so much.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
One of the great things about an engineering degree is that it can be utilized in any field, so how about bio-medical engineering or just taking that EE degree into the medical or pharma device companies.
Biomedical engineering is good since demand for medical devices will continue to rise as population becomes older (or wiser). Advances in nanotechnology will help making medical devices smaller and more efficient.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Biomedical engineering is good since demand for medical devices will continue to rise as population becomes older (or wiser). Advances in nanotechnology will help making medical devices smaller and more efficient.
I do agree, but whenever I try to predict what careers will be 'hot' in 10 or 20 years, I feel the same as when I try to predict what the market might do in 10 or 20 years.

So, in addition to trying to enter a field which would appear to have a future, and be flexible and rewarding, one certainly must learn the skills of observation - and how to adapt to what you are observing. Learn from the buggy whip makers!

-ERD50

Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Engineer then musician: Works great.
Musician then engineer: not so much.
I told my kids that they would be on their own the minute they switch to Liberal Arts. I also encourage them to double major, and the second major (or minor) can be anything they want.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I told my kids that they would be on their own the minute they switch to Liberal Arts.
Yup. That'll teach 'em self-reliance in a hurry! LBYM anyone? :

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I told my kids that they would be on their own the minute they switch to Liberal Arts. I also encourage them to double major, and the second major (or minor) can be anything they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Yup. That'll teach 'em self-reliance in a hurry! LBYM anyone? :
My nephew the Army Ranger is studying history at USMA. That's as close to a liberal arts degree as the Army will let him get.

As for self-reliance, he's the XO of the Combat Weapons Team.

Your tax dollars at work, folks...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote