Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Primarily computer science but also EE, would consider stats from top public / private schools. Some students from good but not top tier schools as well. Ranging from second year to ABD. Most students had research experience under their belt with at least one or two papers as lead author.
That looked pretty promising up to the last few lines. I would have guessed that "one or two papers as lead author" pretty much meant post-doc. Maybe the "top" schools requirement means only 10 or so programs, and those get students into serious research as under-grads?

Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Forgive me for repeating/quoting myself, but as a non-USAmerican, this question fascinates me. Do you Americans feel that you're every bit as "free" today as you were 25 years ago? Do you think your country's signing forefathers would be proud of the "freedom" exemplified in the US today? Do you agree that the US is actually getting staggeringly bogged-down in freedom-eating regulation? If so, does it concern you, or does it comfort you? Or maybe you're concerned, but simply feel you can't do anything about it, so there's no reason to get yourself worked up over it?

How do you feel about the famous Jefferson quote about those who would trade liberty for security deserving neither?
Sorry for the slow response, don't know if you're still checking this thread, but here's an IMO response.

In certain ways we a a lot more "free". If I were gay/lesbian, I'd feel like I had many more options/acceptance, chance to just do what I want to do without losing something important, today than 25 years ago. Similarly, I think that women and African-Americans have more elbow room and choices, more real freedom.

There are lots of cultural things where its easier to follow your own preferences without worrying about the tyranny of the majority - from religion to food to health care to entertainment.

Economically, we've deregulated trucking, airlines, lots of financial services. It appears to be an article of faith with some people in powerful positions that in all times and in all places regulation is bad. Of course, there are others that are constantly coming up with ideas for new regulations. Frankly, I think the first group is winning, at least on the big ones, but that could be a recency distortion.

I see the tax code as a continuous encroachment on choices - many of the complexities are there to push us and pull us into behaviors that somebody in gov't thinks are the "right thing to do".

Our reaction to 9/11 seems much over done to me. I haven't been personally hit (other than airport stuff), but it's always been true that personal liberties take a hit during wars, we seem to be headed for an eternal state of "war on terror" which justifies more big brother gov't, and I have this feeling that's just fine with some people in DC.

Independent is offline   Reply With Quote