Join Early Retirement Today

Combining Roll-Over IRAs
Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Combining Roll-Over IRAs

I have two roll-over IRAS that are sourced from two different 401(k) from two different companies. Both 401(k)'s contained a combination of employee and employer contributions. Can I combine these IRAs into one large IRA? If so, is there any significant reason not to? I am trying to get vanguard admiral shares, which cannot be accomplished with separate IRAs. I would also like the simplicity of fewer accounts. Thanks for your wisdom.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't think there is any problem doing what you suggest. There is some thought that you shouldn't mix rollovers (from corp plans) w/ "normal" contributory IRAs for creditor protection purposes but that isn't what you're thinking about. Only reason I can think for not combining them is in the remote event one got compromised somehow (online fraud type), then you'd still have the other intact. May not be of any concern to you though and
you have other benefits that you have suggested.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
There is some thought that you shouldn't mix rollovers (from corp plans) w/ "normal" contributory IRAs for creditor protection purposes but that isn't what you're thinking about.
I knew this, which is what made me worry that there might be something else I did not know about.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I see no problems, it's done all the time. If you are in a situation where you are worried about creditors going after your IRAs, this would be the LEAST of your problems.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I ended creating two different IRAs from 401K rollover, the opposite of what you did.
Hawaii and at least a couple of other states don't tax pensions (including employee contributions to 401K) So withdrawals on one of my IRAs is exempt from state taxes.

It maybe worth checking if any of your potential retirement locations have that provision, and separate out your contributions from your employers.