Join Early Retirement Today

Combining rollover IRAs?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Combining rollover IRAs?

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for cleaning up my various accounts (all at Vanguard), both for the sake of simplicity and because I think I might move about half of my assets to Fidelity or to Schwab as I become increasingly uneasy about having a considerable pile of eggs in one (lockable) basket.

Anyway, at Vanguard I have four rollover IRAs (one each from four employers, one of which was in California). I kept them separate as I rolled them from 403(b) or 401(k) accounts because long ago I was advised to do this in order to be able to identify the state in which the income was earned. I guess back in the 70s and 80s, California was notorious about going after income taxes on retirement assets earned in California, even if the retiree no longer lived in California.

Is there any longer merit to this? Or can I make my life simpler by combining the four IRAs into one? (or maybe into two, and moving one to Fidelity/Schwab).

Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Found this. You can safely consolidate them.

Quote:
On January 10, 1996, President Clinton signed into law H.R. 394, now P.L. 104-95, which prohibits state taxation of certain pension income of nonresidents received after December 31, 1995. .....

.... was a response to the source tax levied by California and New York (and, to a lesser extent, certain other states) on the pension income of former residents now living in other low or no-tax states. A prime example would be a former California resident who retires to Nevada, and receives a pension from his California employer.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! That's one step toward making my tangled portfolio simpler!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Combining Rollover IRA's

GreyDog,

It is a good idea to merge the rollover IRA's, now that the need for separation by state and state taxation of ex-residents is off the table.

But, be sure that the only moneys you merge are all "pure" 401k/403b/457, or whatever other qualified ERISA savings, and no other moneys are co-mingled with them.
It is my understanding that these ERISA qualified retirement savings dollars are 100% protected from lawsuits and bankruptcy by virtue of their qualified source, whereas ordinary IRA contributions are protected only up to $1M
Old 03-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Steevo, that protection varies by state. Some states protect IRAs the same as 401k/403b/457.

This link is a couple years old but indicative.

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/content...teirachart.pdf

or this list may be more current... hard to tell.

IRA Asset Protection | Self Directed IRA | IRA Creditor Protection | IRA Bankruptcy Protection | www.irafinancialgroup.com
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good stuff, pb4uski.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Right. It makes sense to combine IRAs to simplify.

That said, I may decide to park half at Fidelity and half at Vanguard. If I combine all into a single IRA at Vanguard (current location), do I later have the option to roll 50% of that single IRA to Fidelity? Or should I reduce the four IRAs to two in order to preserve the possibility of moving some to Fidelity?

As always, thanks for the help!