Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Personal Capital
Sigfig (previously CNNMoney Portfolio)
Custom Excel spreadsheets based on those found at ITA Wealth Management -

"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I use excel. I too have used it so long that I have several several sheets.
It is always growing, I monitor it couple times a month. Used to monitor it daily when in the build mode. Just signed up for Dave Ramsey free budget sheet.
However thought about quicken, but so deep into mine hard to make a change.
Our budget is pretty solid, Dw and I both get a cash allowance at payday debt bills rest to savings and other buckets for new cars and vacation and Christmas. Another few years and we should be ready for retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
The sunset edition of Microsoft Money is available free. I used for many years until it was discontinued ( no online updates ). Still functional with manual updates.
I too use the sunset edition of MS Money. It doesn't link to anything but does a good job of tracking investments, budgets, reconcile statements. All entries are manual. With changes in the tax laws, it's estimator is not up-to-date.

But it is free and I like the fact that it doesn't link to the cloud except if you use the built in browser.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For spending I just use Excel. Each month takes up about 20 rows. I just track what I want which is not really categorized.

What I want is to know is the gross monthly spending and net spending from the portfolio (after minor income + SS). I like it to show major discretionary spending (not weekly restaurant meals) like big ticket house related spending and vacations. The thrust is to know the base spending and also the discretionary for the year. This helps to understand how we might react in a Depression -- which I'm not expecting at all!

There are 2 tabs (sheets) for each year. One is the yearly spending plan that comes from another portfolio sheet. The other is the years monthly spending. So one password protected Excel workbook can take care of many years of spending.

Over time the sheets evolve to track our info needs.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
I use Mint currently but very frustrated with it. I use on a tablet and can't figure out how to delete old bank accounts. Also, now, for some reason I'm getting duplicates on all debits/charges from credit cards, so no value at all. I'm going to pick up Quicken, I think.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Interesting, I have no problem deleting accounts on my android phone but finding the delete function is not as easy as on a PC. My main issue with it is how often it can't access some of my accounts without additional inputs by me but that appears to be related to the security used by the institution.

Re another commenter on giving passwords to something like Mint, I'm not sure it's a real problem - I certainly would have expected some issues to arise already if it were. Mint, sigfig, etc. have been out for quite awhile and I haven't heard of security breaches.

One app for tablets and phones I really like that doesn't require your passwords but does require you to set up your investments manually is Stock Quote by Bishinew. Once set up, you can see each account and an overview. It keeps track of stocks and mutual funds by ticker all the time. It also links to dropbox so if you have separate devices, you can easily keep them synched and never have to worry about losing all your data.

Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote