Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Won't he have to pay Mass state taxes on his retirement income if he sets up domicile to get access to health insurance? IIRC Florida has no state taxes, so this might be a large incremental amount. It may be worth it to get health insurance, just another factor to consider.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

How are you funding DS's college expenses? Is that part of your annual spending totals? If so, then you will see a HUGE drop in expenses when he graduates.

Even with high maintainance costs on your primary residence, your spending totals seem quite high to me. Are there places you can cut back without feeling deprived? Understand you haven't been tracking closely up to now, but once you have a few months of expense records if you feel comfortable you can post the details here. We're pretty good at doing "tough love" on people's budgets. You don't have to take anyone's suggestions, obviously, but sometimes it helps to get feedback from different perspectives.

What would your retail property get if you closed the practice and sold it? It might generate less income than your current rentals, but you would be relieved of the stress and pressure of managing property.

Are there medical programs in your area where you could start scouting for someone to come in and share or possibly take over your practice? Being a a bit proactive on that front might be a win-win situation for you and another young doctor.

Good luck working this out. Hope you are able to find a way to retire early with solid health insurance coverage.

lhamo

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
Even with high maintainance costs on your primary residence, your spending totals seem quite high to me. Are there places you can cut back without feeling deprived? Understand you haven't been tracking closely up to now, but once you have a few months of expense records if you feel comfortable you can post the details here.
+1. The OP's numbers look great to me apart from planning to spend $120K *and* a $25K cushion "just in case". It would make me wonder if someone has some to terms with the adjustments needed for true ER, which in my opinion is about retiring to have more time, even if that means fewer toys.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

lhamo- Our 529 plans savings like I said in my first post, will be enough for his education including his graduate school, he goes to a local state school now. The Real Estate market is quite down now, for what it is worth, a realtor informally estimated the present price to be less than the cost of the construction built in 1999 and that convinced us to hang on to it for now.

$ 10000 is a very conservative number, MINT shows an average monthly expense as $ 7000. After a few more months in Mint, my estimate will be more closer to reality and then I will post the numbers.

Thanks & regards
Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello rkser - I am a few years younger than you are, with NW numbers in the same ballpark. However, my expenses are much, much lower than yours. With your level of expenses it might be wise to wait and check if you may be able to cut down on expenses (?). Have you entered your numbers in this free tool :

Merrill Edge| See Where You Stand

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post
What would you do ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Rkser.
I am a 62 yrs old physician on the verge of retirement. I have more on the liquid asset and retirement fund. I also have a daughter that got married. I also sent her to college(2 degrees), before finding gainful employment.
From this age till 65.5 I have to fund my health insurance thru BLue S and C, and pay for our long term insurance. This is a big expense for us.

In the last few years, we have been trying to "downsize" on everything. We discover, we really don't need all these crap to be happy, and have been trying to emphasize in doing more(experiencing life), rather than buying stuff.

Although I'm healthy and working full time, we figure we can reduce our yearly expense to about 80K +SSS. In a good year when the market is up, we can spend more. We'll downsize in house, and will keep the 3 vehicles until they are very old. I'll focus on some hobbies, and some travel.
I plan on daily vigorous exercises, and afternoons reading and monitoring our investments.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
Can you establish a domicile in Mass? We have the health exchanges here, no pre-existing conditions, you can insure. It's not going away, people love it.

We won't leave the state because we don't have to worry about health care.
Not new news, but interesting in itself given the health care debate...no hijack intended!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
Can you establish a domicile in Mass? We have the health exchanges here, no pre-existing conditions, you can insure. It's not going away, people love it.
This had actually crossed my mind. But this requires establishing legal residency doesn't it? It's not a bad idea if someone was considering retirement there (but because of weather and taxes I don't think many people do), but if guaranteed access to health insurance without underwriting is one of the most important factors -- possibly important enough to overshadow weather and taxes -- then yeah, Mass would probably be on a short list of possibilities.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

The taxes are not that bad, flat rate,slightly over 5%. But if he can live from cash until medicare, who cares? I am not sure what you have to do to establish here, but the health insurance is required. 98% of the state is now insured.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to ObGyn65 and each one who contributed to this thread,

A Good Calculator from Merrill, it said we are good for retiring .

Thanks and regards
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post
A Good Calculator from Merrill, it said we are good for retiring .
Before you become too enamored with the results from that particular calculator, you might want to read this thread, beginning with post #8: So many calculators, so little time

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote