Commingle Multiple 401(k) Rollovers into Single IRA or Not?

CoolChange

Full time employment: Posting here.
I understand some of the reasons to avoid pre-tax and after-tax dollars in a single IRA; but, would there be any advantages to keeping rollovers from multiple 401(k) plans (from multiple previous employers) in separate IRA's? Or, would I be just as well off to just commingle all of these 401(k) rollovers into a single IRA?

I welcome any commentary, insight, etc.

I just merged two 401(k) accounts from two different employers into one Vanguard account. I did keep pre-tax and after-tax assets separate to help with tax reporting. Love the simplicity...and the Vanguard folks were very helpful during the process.

I'm thinking of the reverse. Splitting the 401k into multiple IRAs when it's time to rollover.

I plan to retire at age 53, 7 years before I have total freedom with my IRA/401k account. My income will come from that account via 72t withdrawal. Since 72t requires that the withdrawals be in equal amount annually, having multiple accounts give me a little more flexibility. I plan to split my 401k in 2 IRAs, 70% and 30%. I plan to withdraw the maximum allowable from the larger account. If that is not enough, then I will start withdrawing from the other.

CoolChange said:
I understand some of the reasons to avoid pre-tax and after-tax dollars in a single IRA; but, would there be any advantages to keeping rollovers from multiple 401(k) plans (from multiple previous employers) in separate IRA's? Or, would I be just as well off to just commingle all of these 401(k) rollovers into a single IRA?
You might get a break in fees if you have 1 IRA with a large balance.
You can always go with 1 IRA now and split it up later if you are going to do the
72(t) thing.
TJ
p.s. Great song....one of my favorites

Back
Top Bottom