Commodity Prices and Fund Failures

His commentary is free:

Hussman Funds - Weekly Market Comment: The Outlook for Inflation and the Likelihood of $60 Oil - July 7, 2008

It's too bad we all can't be as smart as you.....and have the time to post 21,000 times.

Bunny is a charter member of the forum.

That's what ER does... provides one with free time to do as they choose.

As far as the prediction on oil prices (and some other commodities)... It was over done. The net result was predictable. We will see if prices go down to $60. I hope they do. And I hope they settle in at that price or lower. But that may be too much to hope for.

Hate the game, dont hate the playah... ;)

Besides, I only comment on maybe 10-15% of the threads here, and quite often only once!

Hate the game, dont hate the playah... ;)

Besides, I only comment on maybe 10-15% of the threads here, and quite often only once!
You could have fooled me. The only time I think I comment on a thread before you do is when I start it. :D

As to oil, the games will go on but the flow will eventually become much more expensive with gradual and sudden fluctuations in the graph. Next year or five years is not the point for a long view. My bet is that energy funds are a very vital albeit minority aspect of a portfolio that is supposed to provide growth for the next 25 years.

You could have fooled me. The only time I think I comment on a thread before you do is when I start it. :D

Thats because I dont comment on anything unless its interesting and other smart people will want to get involved ;)

After you rebalanced was your asset allocation the same as before you rebalanced. It certainly doesn't sound like it, which means a shift in asset classes which means .....

If looks like it and smells like it then it probably is it :D

Yes, my target asset allocation was the same before and after rebalancing. My actual holdings were (obviously) different after I rebalanced. I still didn't get to my target asset allocation when I rebalanced back in Feb/March 2008 though (due to tax strategies, where I choose to hold what, and available fund choices in different accounts and IRA's, 401k's etc).

Follow up: It's a good thing I wrote that post a week ago about my commodity position. (Another benefit of posting in this great forum is that it makes you really think about your situation.) I've been so focused on buy-and-hold and my stock/bond AA that I wasn't checking my other allocations carefully enough. Turns out my commodity position was way too high. Decided the capital gains tax was the lesser of evils vs. being seriously overweighted in commodities. I sold about 1/3 of it (my first sale of an equity position in 12 months), realizing a 15% annualized gain over the past 5 years. Would have been quite a bit higher had I noticed this 2 months ago. Live and learn. I have a new spreadsheet tab now to watch my returns/AA even closer. So I have some new cash to DCA into the market. I'm still buying stocks. They are what's (relatively) cheap, and I have a ways yet to go get my stock/bond AA back to target, with the decline in stocks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom