Join Early Retirement Today

Comparing bond funds
Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Comparing bond funds

Can someone help me with the advantages and disadvantages of investing in Vanguard's Total Bond Index versus their Inflation-Protected Securities Fund?

This is actually for my mother-in-law, who is putting in her Roth IRA contributions for last year and this year. I was planning on the Total Bond Index for one-stop shopping. Then the Inflation-Protected option caught my attention and I wondered whether it's better just to go that route? Expense ratios are similar (.19 vs .20).

This is part of an overall plan, so it's not that we're putting all her money in bonds. This is just where the IRA money is going. Also, from what we can tell, she won't need the money for quite a while, if ever.

Any thoughts?

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

50% each.

Here is the rationale: TIPS and Total Bond Index Combo
Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

total bond is a bet inflation will stay low. inflation-proof bonds are a bet inflation will stay high. they are opposites of each other to some extent
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
50% each.

Here is the rationale: TIPS and Total Bond Index Combo

Thanks for the link, I have the 50-50 combo in my IRA and having thinking about changing, after reading the posts in the link, I think I'll stay the course........Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think TIPS are a reasonable place for perhaps half of the "safe stuff" in your asset allocation. I wouldn't go chasing recent performance for a short-term play, though -- the easy money has already been made here, IMO, and right now the yields on TIPS are showing the market is paying an *extremely* high price for inflation protection.

I've heard some people mention that they fear inflation so much that they want to put almost everything into this very richly-valued asset class. Unless you think the USA is becoming the Weimar Republic, as I've said elsewhere, I think that's a mistake.

Having said that, if "part of an overall plan" is just deciding to allocate a reasonable long-term percentage of the portfolios to TIPS, then yeah, go for it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #6

This is great, thank you!

The 50/50 approach makes a lot of sense to me. And yes, this isn't about performance exactly, just looking for a good asset allocation amongst the bond choices.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
just looking for a good asset allocation amongst the bond choices.
My thoughts as well, I see my bond portion (40%) as port protection, with the hope of an increase in value. And the V tips fund as my protection against inflation, to me inflation, especialy during this time of war spending is my biggest threat..........Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #8

What are the taxes due on TIPs? I know with either with TIPs or I-bonds taxes are not due until the security is sold- if going to be a long term hold, might make more sense to hold in a taxable account.

And not sure if a bond fund changes the rule (maybe individual TIPs in taxable account make sense, but TIPs mutual fund needs to be tax deferred for other reasons.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
What are the taxes due on TIPs? I know with either with TIPs or I-bonds taxes are not due until the security is sold- if going to be a long term hold, might make more sense to hold in a taxable account.

And not sure if a bond fund changes the rule (maybe individual TIPs in taxable account make sense, but TIPs mutual fund needs to be tax deferred for other reasons.
If the TIPS are held in taxable accounts, the taxes on the coupons and inflation adjustment on TIPS are due each year they occur. No taxes can be deferred.

The taxes on I bond's earnings can either be (1) paid each year, or (2) deferred until the bond is redeemed.

TIPS funds, like Vanguard's bond fund [VIPSX], pay out the coupons + inflation adjustment to shareholders each year.

- Alec
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #10

How are the inflation adjustments taxed? Ordinary income? How are bond dividends taxed? Ordinary income or dividend rates?

What is the effective yield when you consider the inflation adjustment as income? If I invest 10k in a TIPs bond fund, then get around 1% interest back on the TIPS, plus an annual 2-3% inflation adjustment, that 3% yield is looking good to me (assuming I still have 10k in the bond fund).
Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
How are the inflation adjustments taxed? Ordinary income? How are bond dividends taxed? Ordinary income or dividend rates?

What is the effective yield when you consider the inflation adjustment as income? If I invest 10k in a TIPs bond fund, then get around 1% interest back on the TIPS, plus an annual 2-3% inflation adjustment, that 3% yield is looking good to me (assuming I still have 10k in the bond fund).
IIRC, both the coupons payments and inflation adjustments are taxed as ordinary income at the federal level, but exempt from state and local taxes. See TIPS: Tax Considerations.
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote