Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Comparing Funds
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 734
Comparing Funds

I have a good portion of our retirement in Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington and have been pleased with track record, cost, and our experience with transfers from other mutual funds. I often read that the top 3 mutual fund companies are Vanguard, Fidelity, and T Rowe Price. Do either of these other 2 companies offer funds that are close to Wellesley or Wellington in track record and cost that could be reasonable alternatives?

Cheers!
__________________

__________________
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DrRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
I have most of my $ at Fidelity but I do not own any of their managed funds any more. I would think that if you go to to their web site you can research their funds to evaluate what ones would be closest. I do find that Fidelity has very low expense fees and has for some time in order to compete with Vanguard.
__________________

__________________
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I have a good portion of our retirement in Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington and have been pleased with track record, cost, and our experience with transfers from other mutual funds. I often read that the top 3 mutual fund companies are Vanguard, Fidelity, and T Rowe Price. Do either of these other 2 companies offer funds that are close to Wellesley or Wellington in track record and cost that could be reasonable alternatives?

Cheers!
Wellesley and Wellington are our two workhorses (core holdings) since we retired (7 years now). I'm hoping that Vanguard leaves these alone and gives me no reason to make changes during retirement. Over the years I had other scenarios (lot of index funds) and the only balanced fund I liked that I thought came close to Wellington (didn't hold Wellesley before retiring) was Dodge and Cox Balanced Fund. I had invested with them quite awhile ago, but left them after the down years of ('08/'09) as I thought they made a rather risky bet and favored financials. Got out in early 2010, as I started the process of consolidating investments for retirement income (retired in 2009). Dodge and Cox Balanced Fund was also higher in expenses. Never found funds I liked that I considered leaving Vanguard Wels/Wel for. Morningstar rates Dodge and Cox very well, but points out my observation for back then and states they've had outflows since then. I attached a PDF of their review as it requires you to join (free account) to read it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dodge and Cox Balanced fund Morninstar 2016.pdf (89.5 KB, 5 views)
__________________
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
I am thinking of investing in these two funds. I have a large amount of cash position I just inherited. I am trying to decide if it's worth jumping in now, wait for a possible market set back, or buying it slowly over time? I am retired, though my husband still is working. We don't need the money and I always keep three years living expenses in cash CDs just in case.... The inheritance is 1/3 stock and rest cash. I prefer to keep it simple.



Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
retired2015b2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 544
The Dodge and Cox balanced has a load and a 10 year return of about 5+%.
Fidelity has a fairly conservative balanced fund called Puritan. That returned about 6.6% over the last 10 years. Low expenses of about .56%
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the road again
Posts: 21,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The Dodge and Cox balanced has a load and a 10 year return of about 5+%.
I was under the impression all Dodge and Cox funds were load-free.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I was under the impression all Dodge and Cox funds were load-free.
It shows in the Fidelity fund screener as having a load/fee.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/256201104
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the road again
Posts: 21,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
It shows in the Fidelity fund screener as having a load/fee.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/256201104
Fidelity charges a sales fee, but there is no load.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Fidelity charges a sales fee, but there is no load.
That makes sense.
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
Happyras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Redmond
Posts: 127
FWIW
Fund X recommends holding 5 balanced/total return funds in their Class 4 fund list.

One is Wellesley, but recently Greenspring GRSPX, MairsPowers MAPOX, Powershares Preferred PGX, and TRP Cap Appreciation PRWCX are all doing better within this rank.

I am looking hard at moving some out of the Wells to diversify into these funds. I used to own PRWCX for many years.
__________________
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 734
Thanks for the replies.
My third sack of IRA money is in T Rowe Price 2015 Retirement fund with an expense of .62%. I was considering moving it to Wellington as further simplification of IRA money but would consider a Fidelity fund instead if it was similar in cost and performance. The rest of our total investments/savings (about 30%) is taxable in individual stocks. So far for the last 4 years since retirement we have not drawn from any of our investments and live on SS and a few small pensions. We are comfortable in our small home and have yet to shake off the frugal lifestyle but trying. Next year my wife will turn 70 (Shhhh!) and we will have to start tapping into the IRA. I thought it would be easier to have just the one fund for her and later one fund for me to deal with unless a Fidelity fund would make it worth keeping track of a third fund.

Cheers!
__________________
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 664
PRWCX is closed to new investors. I hold it in an IRA. T Rowe Price is about the only company I will pay for active management. The trouble with them is that many of their best funds are closed to new investors.
__________________
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Thanks for the replies.
My third sack of IRA money is in T Rowe Price 2015 Retirement fund with an expense of .62%. I was considering moving it to Wellington as further simplification of IRA money but would consider a Fidelity fund instead if it was similar in cost and performance. The rest of our total investments/savings (about 30%) is taxable in individual stocks. So far for the last 4 years since retirement we have not drawn from any of our investments and live on SS and a few small pensions. We are comfortable in our small home and have yet to shake off the frugal lifestyle but trying. Next year my wife will turn 70 (Shhhh!) and we will have to start tapping into the IRA. I thought it would be easier to have just the one fund for her and later one fund for me to deal with unless a Fidelity fund would make it worth keeping track of a third fund.

Cheers!
This was our goal when I started to consolidate for retirement. Wife is not interested in managing our investments, unfortunately. I looked to simplify and to set things up for the long haul, as we have no pensions, and will live off SS and our investments throughout retirement. We are fortunate in that we have a substantial investment account, and utilizing VG's Wels/Wel funds for our workhorse income stream works well and requires little to no maintenance on her part. I'm not a fan of the ever-changing asset allocations of target date funds (keep things at 52% stock/48% bonds). Also avoid balanced funds that take risky asset allocation positions whenever the mood strikes, looking for higher rewards usually at considerably higher expenses than Wels .16%/Wel .18% admiral funds (ie. dodge and Cox .52% that we previously owned).

Wife has instructions for what to do when, that are simple and straightforward. Includes bringing in both our daughters for security/protection, and possibly turning it all over to VG to manage - but with my feelings about how they should do it, down on paper.
__________________
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: E. Wash
Posts: 930
At Fidelity, look at FBALX--it is their 60/40 balance fund comparable to Wellington. Depending on the time series chosen, it is pretty competitive with Wellington. It also has a slightly better Sharpe ratio than Wellington (1.13 vs 1.03).
Nwsteve
__________________
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
At Fidelity, look at FBALX--it is their 60/40 balance fund comparable to Wellington. Depending on the time series chosen, it is pretty competitive with Wellington. It also has a slightly better Sharpe ratio than Wellington (1.13 vs 1.03).
Nwsteve
Almost identical to Fidelity Puritan FPURX.
__________________

__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch out when comparing yields on junk bond funds mathjak107 FIRE and Money 0 12-02-2009 03:09 PM
Comparing bond funds WM FIRE and Money 10 03-13-2008 01:05 PM
(FAQ archive): Invididual Stocks vs. Funds/Active Funds vs. Passive Funds Nords Early Retirement FAQs 0 10-22-2007 04:07 PM
Comparing Funds smooch FIRE and Money 0 05-14-2005 07:33 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.