Comparing Funds

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a good portion of our retirement in Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington and have been pleased with track record, cost, and our experience with transfers from other mutual funds. I often read that the top 3 mutual fund companies are Vanguard, Fidelity, and T Rowe Price. Do either of these other 2 companies offer funds that are close to Wellesley or Wellington in track record and cost that could be reasonable alternatives?

Cheers!

I have most of my $ at Fidelity but I do not own any of their managed funds any more. I would think that if you go to to their web site you can research their funds to evaluate what ones would be closest. I do find that Fidelity has very low expense fees and has for some time in order to compete with Vanguard.

I have a good portion of our retirement in Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington and have been pleased with track record, cost, and our experience with transfers from other mutual funds. I often read that the top 3 mutual fund companies are Vanguard, Fidelity, and T Rowe Price. Do either of these other 2 companies offer funds that are close to Wellesley or Wellington in track record and cost that could be reasonable alternatives?

Cheers!

Wellesley and Wellington are our two workhorses (core holdings) since we retired (7 years now). I'm hoping that Vanguard leaves these alone and gives me no reason to make changes during retirement. Over the years I had other scenarios (lot of index funds) and the only balanced fund I liked that I thought came close to Wellington (didn't hold Wellesley before retiring) was Dodge and Cox Balanced Fund. I had invested with them quite awhile ago, but left them after the down years of ('08/'09) as I thought they made a rather risky bet and favored financials. Got out in early 2010, as I started the process of consolidating investments for retirement income (retired in 2009). Dodge and Cox Balanced Fund was also higher in expenses. Never found funds I liked that I considered leaving Vanguard Wels/Wel for. Morningstar rates Dodge and Cox very well, but points out my observation for back then and states they've had outflows since then. I attached a PDF of their review as it requires you to join (free account) to read it.

Attachments

• Dodge and Cox Balanced fund Morninstar 2016.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 5
I am thinking of investing in these two funds. I have a large amount of cash position I just inherited. I am trying to decide if it's worth jumping in now, wait for a possible market set back, or buying it slowly over time? I am retired, though my husband still is working. We don't need the money and I always keep three years living expenses in cash CDs just in case.... The inheritance is 1/3 stock and rest cash. I prefer to keep it simple.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The Dodge and Cox balanced has a load and a 10 year return of about 5+%.
Fidelity has a fairly conservative balanced fund called Puritan. That returned about 6.6% over the last 10 years. Low expenses of about .56%

Last edited:
FWIW
Fund X recommends holding 5 balanced/total return funds in their Class 4 fund list.

One is Wellesley, but recently Greenspring GRSPX, MairsPowers MAPOX, Powershares Preferred PGX, and TRP Cap Appreciation PRWCX are all doing better within this rank.

I am looking hard at moving some out of the Wells to diversify into these funds. I used to own PRWCX for many years.

Thanks for the replies.
My third sack of IRA money is in T Rowe Price 2015 Retirement fund with an expense of .62%. I was considering moving it to Wellington as further simplification of IRA money but would consider a Fidelity fund instead if it was similar in cost and performance. The rest of our total investments/savings (about 30%) is taxable in individual stocks. So far for the last 4 years since retirement we have not drawn from any of our investments and live on SS and a few small pensions. We are comfortable in our small home and have yet to shake off the frugal lifestyle but trying. Next year my wife will turn 70 (Shhhh!) and we will have to start tapping into the IRA. I thought it would be easier to have just the one fund for her and later one fund for me to deal with unless a Fidelity fund would make it worth keeping track of a third fund.

Cheers!

PRWCX is closed to new investors. I hold it in an IRA. T Rowe Price is about the only company I will pay for active management. The trouble with them is that many of their best funds are closed to new investors.

Thanks for the replies.
My third sack of IRA money is in T Rowe Price 2015 Retirement fund with an expense of .62%. I was considering moving it to Wellington as further simplification of IRA money but would consider a Fidelity fund instead if it was similar in cost and performance. The rest of our total investments/savings (about 30%) is taxable in individual stocks. So far for the last 4 years since retirement we have not drawn from any of our investments and live on SS and a few small pensions. We are comfortable in our small home and have yet to shake off the frugal lifestyle but trying. Next year my wife will turn 70 (Shhhh!) and we will have to start tapping into the IRA. I thought it would be easier to have just the one fund for her and later one fund for me to deal with unless a Fidelity fund would make it worth keeping track of a third fund.

Cheers!

This was our goal when I started to consolidate for retirement. Wife is not interested in managing our investments, unfortunately. I looked to simplify and to set things up for the long haul, as we have no pensions, and will live off SS and our investments throughout retirement. We are fortunate in that we have a substantial investment account, and utilizing VG's Wels/Wel funds for our workhorse income stream works well and requires little to no maintenance on her part. I'm not a fan of the ever-changing asset allocations of target date funds (keep things at 52% stock/48% bonds). Also avoid balanced funds that take risky asset allocation positions whenever the mood strikes, looking for higher rewards usually at considerably higher expenses than Wels .16%/Wel .18% admiral funds (ie. dodge and Cox .52% that we previously owned).

Wife has instructions for what to do when, that are simple and straightforward. Includes bringing in both our daughters for security/protection, and possibly turning it all over to VG to manage - but with my feelings about how they should do it, down on paper.

At Fidelity, look at FBALX--it is their 60/40 balance fund comparable to Wellington. Depending on the time series chosen, it is pretty competitive with Wellington. It also has a slightly better Sharpe ratio than Wellington (1.13 vs 1.03).
Nwsteve

At Fidelity, look at FBALX--it is their 60/40 balance fund comparable to Wellington. Depending on the time series chosen, it is pretty competitive with Wellington. It also has a slightly better Sharpe ratio than Wellington (1.13 vs 1.03).
Nwsteve

Almost identical to Fidelity Puritan FPURX.

Back
Top Bottom