Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Usually an exit interview is with someone from HR rather than your chain of command.
According to the exit interview form, the department director is to conduct the interview, unless you report directly to them. That would be my boss's boss. It will depend on how I feel that day, if I'm ever offered to do one, but he created the mess, so I don't think he's interested in finding the answer..
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I can't believe you aren't more astute than this. "They" hired the current manager. Blaming him for the problems is admitting that they made a terrible mistake. Obviously, they see the problem resulting from the improving economy and stock market gains enticing their employees into either retiring or finding less challenging positions. These employees weren't willing to maintain the high standards of XYZ Corp.

I've seen similar situations in the past. It's amazing how fast an idiot manager can clean out a department. Those above never seem to get a clue.

As for an exit interview with HR, they work for the same people; and unless they smell a credible case for a law suit, they tend to check the boxes and follow the party line.
You are a cynical bastard! Are you sure you are not a contractor?

I remember the 'Drag-up parties' under the tree in back of my old company on Friday nights after that weeks' lay-off. Beer off the back of a pick-up.

We use Prosecco instead of champagne these days.

Cheers from Iran's target in the Caspian.

el Gitano
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I can't believe you aren't more astute than this. "They" hired the current manager. Blaming him for the problems is admitting that they made a terrible mistake. Obviously, they see the problem resulting from the improving economy and stock market gains enticing their employees into either retiring or finding less challenging positions. These employees weren't willing to maintain the high standards of XYZ Corp.

I've seen similar situations in the past. It's amazing how fast an idiot manager can clean out a department. Those above never seem to get a clue.

As for an exit interview with HR, they work for the same people; and unless they smell a credible case for a law suit, they tend to check the boxes and follow the party line.
And we have a big winner here!!!!!

My boss was his first hire. The two people above me retired about the same time last year. I've told coworkers that the new department head would never do anything because it would mean he made a big mistake. Instead, he's accommodating my boss by giving his tasks to others and taking control of things my boss should be doing.

And yes, every person leaving was explained away. Three retired, three transferred, one didn't work out and two just moved on. They'll likely add me to the retired group, but I have not indicated to them I'm retiring. I'm just exploring my "options." HR will eventually know because they have an exit checklist and need to report to the pension fund. While I do like the people in HR, they know who they work for and will tow to the management line.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post

And yes, every person leaving was explained away. Three retired, three transferred, one didn't work out and two just moved on. They'll likely add me to the retired group, but I have not indicated to them I'm retiring. I'm just exploring my "options." HR will eventually know because they have an exit checklist and need to report to the pension fund. While I do like the people in HR, they know who they work for and will tow to the management line.
Wow. This just like what I left. I guess it's more common than I realized. My incompetent boss told others that I left for medical reasons. Huh? Maybe that means to protect my mental health? And 4 others have left in less than six months but no one who hired him cares--they would have to admit they hired a "mistake"!!!
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moreyears View Post
Wow. This just like what I left. I guess it's more common than I realized. My incompetent boss told others that I left for medical reasons. Huh? Maybe that means to protect my mental health? And 4 others have left in less than six months but no one who hired him cares--they would have to admit they hired a "mistake"!!!
I see a promotion in my boss's future. One of the most used ways to deal with a mistake is to promote them to an advisory position off to the side. I won't be surprised when he moves into the newly created position of Assistant Director sometime next year.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My boss was his first hire. The two people above me retired about the same time last year. I've told coworkers that the new department head would never do anything because it would mean he made a big mistake. Instead, he's accommodating my boss by giving his tasks to others and taking control of things my boss should be doing.

Now I really must wonder if we work for the same organization. I have seen this so many times it isn't funny.

Will you have a ritual burning of the employee handbook/business cards/whatever?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Now I really must wonder if we work for the same organization. I have seen this so many times it isn't funny.

Will you have a ritual burning of the employee handbook/business cards/whatever?
It's really shocking how different workplaces are so similar.

I'd have to print the handbook of in order to burn it. Business cards.... I might scatter them around the files so some future employees might wonder who the heck akck was? No, that would be too much like work. I'll leave a couple in the desk and burn the rest.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's really shocking how different workplaces are so similar.

I'd have to print the handbook of in order to burn it. Business cards.... I might scatter them around the files so some future employees might wonder who the heck akck was? No, that would be too much like work. I'll leave a couple in the desk and burn the rest.
I have not decided on my ritual. I will be throwing out all my dress code-approved clothing in the first week. I am thinking maybe the burning of the business cards would be a nice way to do it.

- George Orwell

Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #29

I too will be donating/throwing out my work shirts and pants, just keeping a couple for dress-up occasions. I've culled my dress shoes in October. I'll have a mostly empty drawer once my dress socks go.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #30

As a next to the last update, it's been 3 weeks since I turned in my notice. I let them stew about it for a week and finally said I was retiring to stop all the questions about what I was doing after my last day. This prove to be a great relief to them as it gave them a reason they could blurt out that it wasn't them.

So for the transition, my boss's boss is doing all the work. Over the 2 weeks, my boss spoke to me about 3 times and maybe half a dozen emails. Even during the transition meetings, he says nothing, that is until his boss told him that he has to do one of my jobs. So for one meeting he did ask questions about a system. I answer their questions and that's about it. Oh, I do speak up when something they want to do is not policy.

My boss's boss's boss did come by and offered an exit interview. I thought about it and accepted. So I let her know that my supervisor was why I was leaving and that retirement was only the option I was waiting for. I let her know the problems go deeper than the likely reasons given to her. 10 in 12 positions leaving has to be a red flag. I told her thing will fall apart for next year's audit as he still doesn't know how to do any of the tasks he's responsible for completing.

The only unfortunate fallout is my coworker who transferred is being pulled back to train for an indefinite period. He's not making it easy on them as he points out my boss's errors every time they happen. My boss isn't talking to him either, communicating only through email.

So, that's where things stand as of today. I'm down to 4 work days until the end of the year. It would have been a heck of a lot easier if I gave notice this week as originally planned, but I'd have to say the lack of communication was worth telling them earlier.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Whew! Wow! Looks like you made the right call, and congrats on only 4 work days left - woohoo!

It's good that you were able to have a frank discussion with your bosses boss as she's going to have to deal with the fallout of her employee.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If this is the kind of stuff all you guys put up with I am speechless. Right now I'm feeling like a spoiled brat and should feel fortunate to have the job I have.
However, I'm still looking forward to ER at some point because life's too short.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

akck-

It's unfortunate that your last bit of time has been so unpleasant. Actually, 'I feel your pain' in a slightly different way, and I'm not far behind you.

But, don't let it make you bitter. Think positively about your ability to FIRE, those who can are very fortunate, and enjoy each day from now on.

I wish you all the best in the next phase.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Whew! Wow! Looks like you made the right call, and congrats on only 4 work days left - woohoo!

It's good that you were able to have a frank discussion with your bosses boss as she's going to have to deal with the fallout of her employee.

Thanks.

I've worked here long enough to have some concerns about what will happen, so it was a big relief to fill in the top manager with details not likely passed on. Nothing may happen, but at least I can think I told you so when the SHTF.
Conclusion to Kink in the Old Retirement Plan
Old 12-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #35

Conclusion to Kink in the Old Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
If this is the kind of stuff all you guys put up with I am speechless. Right now I'm feeling like a spoiled brat and should feel fortunate to have the job I have.
However, I'm still looking forward to ER at some point because life's too short.

I think most of us liked our jobs. Otherwise, we wouldn't have stayed so long. The thing to be aware of is the situation can change with a change in management. For some reason, good management retires/leaves and they bring in a new person who was able to snow them in the interview. The new boss then hides the problems or blame it on their staff. Experience shows your best option is to exit the situation. Fortunately, retirement was close and I was able to wait it out.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think most of us liked our jobs. Otherwise, we wouldn't have stayed so long. The thing to be aware of is the situation can change with a change in management. For some reason, good management retires/leaves and they bring in a new person who was able to snow them in the interview.
Exactly so. I was lucky enough to work for a big company where one could run laterally.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks.

I've worked here long enough to have some concerns about what will happen, so it was a big relief to fill in the top manager with details not likely passed on. Nothing may happen, but at least I can think I told you so when the SHTF.
Really, that was very good of you. You didn't have to do that, but I'm sure you feel better being able to share your feedback and not just leave silently.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
akck-

It's unfortunate that your last bit of time has been so unpleasant. Actually, 'I feel your pain' in a slightly different way, and I'm not far behind you.

But, don't let it make you bitter. Think positively about your ability to FIRE, those who can are very fortunate, and enjoy each day from now on.

I wish you all the best in the next phase.

I won't be bitter. The exit interview being three levels up was cleansing. I was able to give her the other side of the story. There wouldn't have been an exit interview with two or less levels up.

The only pain I have is for coworkers left (not many), and I do feel sorry for the replacements. It wasn't painful for me because I could get him to back off easily. The hard part was dealing with his assigning his work to me. It would only get worse with time. Time, I could and did stop.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I finished my last day pre-quit in the office on Thursday without incident. No blowback from calling in sick to avoid a hideously stupid and wasteful meeting across the country. In fact, pretty much radio silence from above the last couple of weeks. They are 500 miles away, which helps. My immediate friends and coworkers know my plans and I feel sorry for a few of them as it is unlikely they will be able to replace me any time soon and they will simply get flogged harder to keep up with a bigger workload. One guy is looking and will be gone soon as well, since he is eminently employable. I am now on vacation for the rest of the year and will quit when I go back in on the second. My desk is devoid of the last shred of personal stuff in preparation for the unlikely scenario that they walk me to the door same day.

- George Orwell

Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I finished my last day pre-quit in the office on Thursday without incident. No blowback from calling in sick to avoid a hideously stupid and wasteful meeting across the country. In fact, pretty much radio silence from above the last couple of weeks. They are 500 miles away, which helps. My immediate friends and coworkers know my plans and I feel sorry for a few of them as it is unlikely they will be able to replace me any time soon and they will simply get flogged harder to keep up with a bigger workload. One guy is looking and will be gone soon as well, since he is eminently employable. I am now on vacation for the rest of the year and will quit when I go back in on the second. My desk is devoid of the last shred of personal stuff in preparation for the unlikely scenario that they walk me to the door same day.
Boy, I was hoping they'd do that to me. Unfortunately, they need what little I can give them about my duties, and it is little, but that's their choice. We emptied my office of personal things this weekend. I wonder if they'll notice. Good luck on your transition brewer, letting them know does bring relief because it sets everything in final motion.