Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Condos
Old 03-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Nice to hear it worked out. Sounds like a similar situation.

So what finally convinced her?
DW is the type that had to do the cleaning herself, a tad anal if you get my gist. In the old place used to take her the better part of a week to clean it the way she wanted it cleaned. She can knock the condo out in about one day, so she has more time to do the things she likes and theplace is always spick n span.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We downsized from a 3200 square foot home to a 2200 square foot townhome in a golf course community about 3 1/2 years ago. We are in the middle of a 3 unit building, and we have almost no noise issues at all. We are also blessed with great neighbors on both sides.

My husband was fed up with maintainence both on the yard and the machines that maintained the yard at our old home. Here, we pay $55.00 per month and they do all the mowing, fertilizing, mulching, shrub trimming, etc.

The only regret that we have had is that we didn't move here sooner.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My experience with small Condos/Townhouse complexs, has Not been very good.

If you try to enforce rules, you frequently end up pixxing somebody off. If you don't
enforce the rules, you end up pixxing somebody off. Someone, has to be in-charge
and if you happen to be THAT GUY, you're expected to satisfy everyone, all the time. I live in a 11 unit complex. I own my unit and pay $85.00 for HO dues plus,
my mortgage payment of $390.00, per month. Not a fancy, high dollar place as you
may be considering, or may be living in. In fact, most of you would say I live in the projects but--- that's really not the case. It's just a 20 year old complex, that has seen better days.

My issue, Is that besides myself and about four others, NO One is willing to contribute any time or money to anything, except their own needs. We can't get people to attend meetings, offer suggestions or solutions, or show any interest
in getting involved in a damn thing.

The people living here, range in age from 80-25. Naturally, the older have been
here for awhile and do what they can. The younger, expect it ALL to be done for them. (85.00, entitles me to FREE LIVING.)

I would never again, live in a small complex, unless people were of the same age, approximately, as myself.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #24

That's a good point. I think one of the things that makes my condo complex work is that it's huge... four hundred something units scattered into 30 or so buildings. That's enough for economies of scale to kick in and enough people that there's always someone motivated to be on the board and do a good job.

If you were in a smaller condo complex it might just devolve into "if you want it done, do it yourself, but can't do it yourself because of all the restrictions".
Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have an investment property in the form of a bare land condo townhouse that is part of an 84 unit development based on 4 units to a building. The condo board works well there and there are no complaints from the people there we have gotten to know. It is also a place DW and I certainly could decide to live in except we no longer want stairs in a 2 storey. We have chosen to live in a bungalow villa (basically a side by side duplex) in a lake community for retirement.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
We have an investment property in the form of a bare land condo townhouse that is part of an 84 unit development based on 4 units to a building.* The condo board works well there and there are no complaints from the people there we have gotten to know.
Large enough achieve efficiencies and utilize professional management.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've got a rental condo, and I'd prefer to sell ... DW and I disagree on this one, but not because it is a condo.

In my experience, the more decisions I leave in the hands of others, the more problems we have ... I don't care for condos, and I also suspect that as the housing downturn develops a little steam, we'll see what we've seen before ... condos will take the brunt of any hit.

One challenge with a condo is that if you personally want to be frugal, you can't affect the HOA fees for all practical purposes ... you'll be in a tussle with a large number of people who probably don't have your good judgment, may make asinine decisions re: maintenance, and you're along for the ride.

If you decide solar would be a wise investment to cut your energy consumption, no luck. Don't like the color of your condo? Tough. Noisy neighbor, just like an apartment? Best of luck.

But I think this is more of an emotional, philosophical choice than a clear, objective decision based upon analysis. Just my bias.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Large enough achieve efficiencies and utilize professional management.
Bingo. I've lived in three different condos within large developments, and never had a problem with the management in any of them. Upside was low maintenance and lots of amenities (I especially liked the one with a well-equipped wood shop). Downside was high density, lack of storage, and general lack of freedom.

We're in the process of selling our two-story 3500+ sq ft place on an acre. We already moved into our downsized one-story 2000 sq ft place on 3/4 acre. This feels like the sweet spot for us. Plenty of room for the dogs to run. Large enough lot that we can expand or add an out-building as needed. Enough living space, but not enough to encourage us to acquire more useless stuff.

As a retiree, I kind of like doing the maintenance, and I definitely like the freedom to build new structures, do whatever we want in terms of architecture or landscaping, have whatever pets we want, make whatever noises we want to, etc. In short, I could never go back to condo living.