Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by midnighter777 View Post
If the portfolio doubles by itself in 10 years, then as long as I don't touch it, I could possibly work at a lower paying/less stressful job during those years that I am waiting for the portfolio to grow. Or I could stay with the higher pay/higher stress job and get to the number I need before 10 years.
There, you have answered your own question. You are in a lot better financial shape than many people. Cheers!

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
All depends what you consider short term.

For me (for investment/return analysis), short term is 5-10 years while most folks (I assume) look at one year (or less) returns to make a decision.

OTOH, many folks on this forum look at ER much differently than I do, when considering what the term actually means. In my case, I considered myself as ER at the "ancient" age of 59. Why? Because in my early 20's, I looked at SS (at the time, FRA age was 65 for me, but then changed to 66) as "normal retirement age", also considered as such for the company I was currently wor*ing for, which had a pension (e.g. defined benefit) plan.

Retiring seven years earlier than originally planned means ER to me, on a personal basis; however I understand that most folks would not consider it as such.
I think this Poll: What Age Did You FIRE? would suggest those of us who retire in our late 50's (58 for me) are not so out of the ER mainstream. Call us late bloomers, but we're still Early Retirees. Personally, I felt FI at 51 which was more important to me than my retirement date. After that age, I was no longer w*rking for Megacorp, I was w*rking for ME. When Megacorp insisted that I start w*rking for them again, I pulled the trigger.

Honestly, I think those of us who did retire in our late 50's have more of an "issue" with whether it is early or not than those who actually retired much earlier. Don't know if it's a "pride" thing (everyone wants to be the "best"). The older I get, the less I worry about such things (in general, not just about ER). YMMV

Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I agree. I was FI long before I RE'd, but I enjoyed what I did and my colleagues and clients and the money was good so there was no particular reason to stop. FI was liberating and I enjoyed my work more.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by midnighter777 View Post
If you were similarly situated, would you feel a sense of confidence that financial independence and/or early retirement was a good possibility in the short term? If so, then why is it that I am feeling a lot of anxiety about not achieving my goal of becoming financially independent and/or retire early.

Thank you for your feedback.
I would feel a sense of confidence that I've been able to save alot to cover 45% of living expense from investments and that I am probably smart enough to adjust my life if Ihad too, if I were in your shoes. You are on the way to FI, just need a few good market years plus your normal savings rate.

I feel part of the anxiety is what is happening around you, i.e. unemployment numbers finally getting better, but I'm sure you know someone that lost their job, then war time for the last 10 years or so, etc, etc. Hang in there, it'll only get better.

Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote