Join Early Retirement Today

confused about ACA's effect on TurboTax's Medical Expenses Worksheet & Schedule A
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

confused about ACA's effect on TurboTax's Medical Expenses Worksheet & Schedule A

I was doing my 2015 taxes on TurboTax and I don't understand what TurboTax is showing on my Medical Expenses Worksheet for itemizing deductions, and what it is showing for my Medical Deductions on Schedule A.

I selected my 2015 health insurance on the exchange but I didn't seek a subsidy. Late in 2015, I calculated that my effective tax rate doing Roth conversions up to the top of the 15% bracket was higher than if I did a smaller Roth conversion and remained under the 400% federal poverty level and got a Premium Tax Credit on my tax return.

I'm in the unusual situation of getting a Premium Tax Credit while at the same time itemizing deductions because of my high property tax. I got Form 1095-A from my state exchange, and I entered that information into TurboTax. On the TurboTax Medical Expenses Worksheet, it shows my health insurance premiums I entered from my Form 1095-A (which is what I actually paid out-of-pocket for my health insurance in 2015). On the next line on the worksheet, it shows "Taxpayer's portion of 1095-A premiums". This is the out-of-pocket premium amount minus what Form 8962 shows I'll be getting back as a tax credit. I didn't enter this amount; TurboTax seems to have calculated it. What I do not understand is that the worksheet adds my total premiums paid and the "Taxpayer's portion" to come up with the amount I can deduct on Schedule A (minus the 10% AGI threshold). It seems to me that it's allowing me to deduct the "Taxpayer's portion" of my premiums twice, since it is also part of my overall premiums paid. The upshot is that TurboTax is allowing me a larger Medical deduction than what I actually paid in my premiums (plus my other minimal medical expenses in 2015). It seems to me that if anything, the Worksheet should be subtracting my Premium Tax Credit from my premiums paid to come up with the Schedule A amount.

I think that I entered the data correctly, but it wouldn't surprise me if I screwed it up somehow. Can anyone explain what I'm seeing on the Medical Expenses Worksheet and the resulting Schedule A deduction? Thanks.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have that situation so I cannot help you but I agree that it seems that the deduction on Sch A should be your net (paid less credit expected). I'm sure that Michael or someone more in the know will come along with an answer.

Have you tried the TT Q&A website? I guess that worst case you could override it or if that is wrong wait for them to fix it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Thanks for your comment, pb4uski. I just got off the phone with someone at TurboTax. (They have a feature where you can request a callback, which worked well.) The TurboTax guy understood the issue, and agreed with you & me that the credit should be subtracted. He eventually found an identical issue which was raised by someone 11 days ago. It sounds like I need to manually subtract the excessive premium amount it wants to add to my deductible Medical Expenses on Schedule A.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You should get your money back. You found the bug.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

It might be a bug, but I may have misread an instruction when I was entering my data. The TurboTax support guy agreed that my situation (getting an ACA Premium Tax Credit as well as itemizing deductions) is not very common.