Congrats to Our Own Ultimate Cheapskate

If I save another $20,000 a year, I'd be living on $4,000 a year. Last year's dining out bill was $800 for the whole year. :)

Dex -

Recently my "writing process" has been very slow and dreadful.;)

Thanks for the overview - it sounds like a lot of work.
If I were to do some thing like that I would rather work with someone who has some writing skills (that I lack) and brings aspects/issues to the table that I don't like or care about.

I played golf today with 3 other retirees. One did not carry a cell phone, another had one and made one call, and the third got at least 10 calls during the round. I don't get being retired and having 3-4 hours of entertainment ruined by a crap cell phone.

I have one but keep it turned off. I check to see if I have any messages after nine holes. We are retired guys, enjoy the freedom.:)

Dawg: I've had it with cell phones on the golf course. A few weeks back I got paired up with a guy in our foursome that was nuts with the phone. Started on the second hole. This is 9AM. He took a call. Next hole he makes a call. Then he gets a call. Every hole he either gets a call or makes a call. On and on and the rest of us are talking about it and getting pissed as he's holding up play. Told the rest that I'm leaving after nine if he doesn't stop. On #7 he tees off first and then goes off to the side of the tee box and makes another call. I said "hey, do you have to talk on every hole?" He asks if it's disturbing us and we say "hell yes". So he says he'll have to quit and attend to business so leaves the course. Why is he out there anyway? If business is that good, stay home and attend to it. The rest of our group thanked me for speaking up. Normally I wouldn't do that but it was so over-the-top. Just no consideration. I carry a cell phone for emergencies but it's always on "mute". No incoming calls.

With nonfiction, the agent then normally sells the rights to your book to a publisher BEFORE you actually write the manuscript. Rights are usually sold based on an extensive proposal the author writes (including a sample chapter or two).
Like working, I don't object to writing-- it's the deadlines that'd drive me nuts.

You seem to be doing fine without self-publishing, Jeff, but I think it's easier (and less frustrating) than dealing with the bureaucracy.

And it's time to ditch the rotary dial telephones, too!
Funny you should say that. When my parents-in-law were living in our rental home, they saved $1.45/month by ordering "pulse" dialing instead of "tone" dialing. They had to keep switching their phone back & forth between the two modes to dial the number and then use the "Press one for..." menus, but by golly it was worth it to avoid paying the bahstads an extra $17.40/year.

Our new tenants have decided not to use the rental home's landline. When they called Oceanic Time-Warner Cable to set up digital service, they were told that the first available appointment wouldn't be for two weeks. So they're going with their cell phones until then.

And it's time to ditch the rotary dial telephones, too!

T'Bone, I get such a kick out of hearing rotary dial phones. Are they still out there? When I was a teenager we still had the phones where you picked up the receiver and the operator came on and asked who you wanted to call. Kind of like the Andy Griffith Show. "Sarah, get me Theresa". I do remember three digit phone numbers. Our home town phone book including yellow pages totaled about 50 pages. If you picked up the receiver to make a call, someone might be talking. These were called party lines. If you had a private line, you payed extra and you were considered an "uppity". Memories.

Like working, I don't object to writing-- it's the deadlines that'd drive me nuts.

You seem to be doing fine without self-publishing, Jeff, but I think it's easier (and less frustrating) than dealing with the bureaucracy.

Hey Nords -

Maybe so, but there are soooooo many other issues to consider, like getting a self-published book in to book stores (good luck), getting mainstream media, etc. Not that self publishing can't work, but when you look at the stats for it, you'd better expect to lose money - not make money - when you self publish.

Hi Jeff -

It looks like you don't do much with your website anymore. Did you sort of give that up? Thanks.

Congrats Jeff. Reading the article reminded me of one of my favorite books Afluenza -- The All Consuming Epidemic. I highly recommend reading it for anyone who wants to simplify their life or thinks that buying that new car is going to make them happier.

Another good money saving tip is to place a call to companies that you pay monthly (phone, internet, cable, etc). I was paying $40/month for cable and called saying I was thinking about switching. They offered me a $10/month plan for their "good" customers. I couldn't turn that down.

T'Bone, I get such a kick out of hearing rotary dial phones. Are they still out there?
Yes. We have one in the guest room. It works well.
Though we had visitors who needed assistance with how to use it.:D

Hey Nords -
Maybe so, but there are soooooo many other issues to consider, like getting a self-published book in to book stores (good luck), getting mainstream media, etc. Not that self publishing can't work, but when you look at the stats for it, you'd better expect to lose money - not make money - when you self publish.
Agreed. Everything I've read on the subject seems to come down to the mainstream appeal of the subject and the author's marketing (not the publisher but the author). And no one can tell you which is better without significant individual research.

You seem to be the type of guy who could make self-publishing work, especially if you can take care of (or contract for) your own copyediting.

Jeff, congratulations! Great to see a fellow board member making the big time!

Cell phone uh no I'm not willing to pay and I'm not willing to wear an electronic leash as my normal program.

I've been golfing for over 35 years and thought I had some awareness of the etiquette, but had two incidents the first one involved my best friend at his upscale private club, we finished our round and were up by the clubhouse, I unzipped my bag to put my gear glove, ball etc. away and he could see my wifes cell phone which was turned off (for god's sake it's just a piece of plastic) in the bag and he started freaking out flapping his arms and squealing as if I had a bag of drugs or multiple unlicensed firearms in there. I took the bag to the car he recovered and we went in the clubhouse for cocktails. The next incident was a charity outing I signed up late and was put with a threesome of great guys we had super afternoon and when we arrived at the 18th tee we were great buds. There were several groups backed up on the last tee. I waited for a group to tee off and as they left and the next group was still unable to tee off as they were not out of range. I took my wifes cell out of my bag turned it on called her with a 30 second call advising her we were about an hour behind schedule and when I would pick her up to attend the dinner for the event. One guy was looking at me as if I just burned a flag. I asked if he wanted to call his wife, he said no. I turned it off and put it away. I went from comrade to persona non grata in a heartbeat.

Hi Jeff -

It looks like you don't do much with your website anymore. Did you sort of give that up? Thanks.

Thanks for noticing my woeful neglect of my website.:whistle:

It's been a lower priority for me lately, in part because I blog every week on a couple of big high-traffic websites (e.g. Hearst's The Daily Green.com), which has taken most of my online time/effort.

BUT, since you reminded me, I just posted a couple of new pieces on my site, just for you, wildcat.:blush:

Jeff, great job on your recent press--we are delighted you are out there preaching the LBYM gospel to the masses. Keep up the good work!

Here, let me give you the reaction that the rest of the forum gives me when I reveal my cell-phone lifestyle choice:

Get with the 21st century, you freakin' Luddite.

There, I just saved the rest of you guys the effort...

I'm with you, Nords! I have so far refused to get a mobile phone, and I have no plans to get one.

It's been a lower priority for me lately, in part because I blog every week on a couple of big high-traffic websites (e.g. Hearst's The Daily Green.com), which has taken most of my online time/effort.
BUT, since you reminded me, I just posted a couple of new pieces on my site, just for you, wildcat.:blush:
Thanks from me too!

I check your blog every week. I don't know blogging etiquette, but if you publish somewhere other than your blog then is it considered acceptable blogging behavior to put a link to it on your own blog? Otherwise I'd never see all the articles on Dollar Stretcher or BankRate.com, either...

Thanks from me too!

I check your blog every week. I don't know blogging etiquette, but if you publish somewhere other than your blog then is it considered acceptable blogging behavior to put a link to it on your own blog? Otherwise I'd never see all the articles on Dollar Stretcher or BankRate.com, either...

Nords -
The only thing I know about blogging etiquette is that I seem to violate it every time I log on! The best way to keep up with me, if anyone's interested, is via The Daily Green.com, where I blog weekly as The Green Cheapskate. The blog also appears on Yahoo Green, and will hopefully soon start to appear on Wise Bread.com
BTW, if anyone's interested - and up this early - I'm doing an interview this morning at 6:50am (EDT) on national FOX News .... that's the only reason I'm up at this unholy hour.:(

-Stay Cheap!
Jeff Yeager

Jeff stars in some fun YouTube videos (e.g. how to reuse dryer lint). Search "Jeff Yeager" on youtube (they can't be embedded here).

Jeff stars in some fun YouTube videos (e.g. how to reuse dryer lint). Search "Jeff Yeager" on youtube (they can't be embedded here).

Al -

Those are some clips of the segments I hosted last year ($aving Green by Living Green) on Discovery's Planet Green network. No joke: It's a cable network, and since I don't have cable, I've never seen the entire show.

Also, if anyone's interested, here's a link to the interview I did this morning on national FOX News (FOX & Friends Morning Show):
Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

(NOTE that I'm practicing what I preach about no new clothing... exact same wardrobe, every interview.)

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

Back
Top Bottom