Join Early Retirement Today

Congress passes AMT patch
Old 12-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congress passes AMT patch

Today, Congress passed an AMT patch for tax year 2007. The patch is an increase in the exemption amount to $66,250 ($44,350) for joint (single) filers. In 2006 the exemption amount was $62,550 ($42,250) for joint (single) filers. Without the patch the exemption amount would have reverted to $45,000 ($33,750) for joint (single) filers.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Today, Congress passed an AMT patch for tax year 2007. The patch is an increase in the exemption amount to $66,250 ($44,350) for joint (single) filers. In 2006 the exemption amount was $62,550 ($42,250) for joint (single) filers. Without the patch the exemption amount would have reverted to $45,000 ($33,750) for joint (single) filers.
I guess that's better than nothing. If AMT is just supposed to be for the "fat cat" contingent, it would have made more sense to patch it with $200K($150K) for joint(single) filers. But I guess we should be glad to get anything out of them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are there any numbers available on how much this will reduce the income tax revenue for tax year 2007?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #4

I'm ecstatic that this has finally been passed because I hope to save $4-5k by not having to pay the AMT.

HR Block have a good calculator which tells you what your taxes are. However it has not yet been updated to take into account this change.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
HR Block have a good calculator which tells you what your taxes are. However it has not yet been updated to take into account this change.
Can you provide us a link?

Thanks...
Old 12-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Looks like they just fixed the "patch" to be the same as last year?

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how many of our tax dollars went into that patch, which, from the looks of it, they will need to visit again each year. At least they got it in before the April 15 deadline so we can do our taxes.
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #8

Last year H&R Block released a free version of 2006 TaxCut software in late November.

H&R Block TaxCut Basic - Reviews and free H&R Block TaxCut Basic downloads at Download.com

I've been unable to find a 2007 release and wonder if Block isn't giving out a free version this year or if the delay by our esteemed representatives in Washington has held things up.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #9

Go to TAX ACT and get their 2007 free advance version (final copy will also be free).
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeeeck, I think I need to look up info on the AMT, I had no idea we had been skirting just under...
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Go to TAX ACT and get their 2007 free advance version (final copy will also be free).
Thanks, I've already downloaded TaxAct. I was hoping for TaxCut since I've been using it for years and want to use the auto transfer of information feature so I won't have to reenter a bunch of basic stuff.

Heaven forbid, I might have to shell out $20 and actually buy a copy...
Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Are there any numbers available on how much this will reduce the income tax revenue for tax year 2007?
approximately $50 billion
Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
approximately $50 billion
Thanks, I also see that they didn't raise taxes anywhere else, so this is not revenue neutral.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks, I also see that they didn't raise taxes anywhere else, so this is not revenue neutral.
Reportedly, they could find 60 senators who wanted to "patch" the AMT, but they could not get 60 senators to agree on where to raise taxes or cut spending to keep it revenue neutral.
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The Washington Post the Senate twice rejected a House-passed AMT patch that would have been paid for by closing down offshore tax havens or by increasing the tax rate on managers of hedge funds and private-equity firms.
The republicans in the Senate blocked the revenue neutral part of this after the House passed it. They are beholden to the .01 percenters who don't have many votes between them, but considering their campaign contributions, I guess their votes are worth much much more than yours and mine.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
The republicans in the Senate blocked the revenue neutral part of this after the House passed it.
IIRC, the Senate version passed 88-5, so many Dems went along with it. Interestingly, both Hillary Clinton and Charles Shumer opposed the taxation of "carried interest" as ordinary income rather than capital gains. Do you suppose maybe that had something to do with campaign contributions?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thanks, I've already downloaded TaxAct. I was hoping for TaxCut since I've been using it for years and want to use the auto transfer of information feature so I won't have to reenter a bunch of basic stuff.

Heaven forbid, I might have to shell out $20 and actually buy a copy...
My Mom received "TaxCut Premium" in the mail last week. It says it's the exact same software that you have to pay for to purchase online. One of the FAQ's was "Why did we receive this in the mail?" There answer was basically 'Because we wanted to make things easy for you."

Mom doesn't do her own taxes, so that isn't how she got on their mailing list for the free CD. I used TC last year, but I didn't get the free CD.....from them....but I have it now!

You might ask friends or neighbors if they got it in the mail, and see if they want to get rid of it.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
IIRC, the Senate version passed 88-5, so many Dems went along with it. Interestingly, both Hillary Clinton and Charles Shumer opposed the taxation of "carried interest" as ordinary income rather than capital gains. Do you suppose maybe that had something to do with campaign contributions?

Of course it did, that is an example of why many Democratic Party voters don't support her in the primaries. There are candidates in the field who will represent them better.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
The republicans in the Senate blocked the revenue neutral part of this after the House passed it. They are beholden to the .01 percenters who don't have many votes between them, but considering their campaign contributions, I guess their votes are worth much much more than yours and mine.
You seem to forget that many of us ordinary tax payers are caught in AMT hell. We are certainly not incredibly wealthy, we do ok by many standards. However, AMT triggered for us even though we have no deductions besides donations to charity and state tax. We have no dependents and I think our contributions for Federal tax before adding in the AMT was more than sufficient. We live in a State (Ca.) which requires high incomes just to get by.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsphd View Post
Reportedly, they could find 60 senators who wanted to "patch" the AMT, but they could not get 60 senators to agree on where to raise taxes or cut spending to keep it revenue neutral.
Hmmmm...... Aren't there almost 60 Dem senators now? Wouldn't this have just taken onesy - twosy GOP senators joining in? Seems strange.

Edit: Oooops....what was I thinking? Actually its:

110th Congress (2007-2009)
Majority Party: Democrat (49 seats)
Minority Party: Republican (49 seats)
Other Parties: 1Independent; 1 Independent Democrat
Total Seats: 100

So I guess the Dems would have had to go get the two independents and 9 GOP senators to pass the provision making it revenue neutral.

Anyone know where I can go look at the actual votes by senator? This should have been made revenue neutral and any Dems that didn't back the revenue neutral provision should, of course, be skinned alive.