Consolidating Assets?

In-control

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

I have ~ 4 yrs till I want to RE. I am working now simply because my kids are in college. When they graduate I will be wanting to make a change. I currently have ~50% in stocks/ 40% in Bonds and 10% in cash(3 yrs worth of household budget. I am looking to limit my risk as I have the capital and don't want to put it at significant risk. I plan on taking 3.5% of the assets per year for expenses and using the cash on hand as a buffer against down times.

I am looking at rolling most of my assets into the Wellesley Income fund. Keeping my Total Stock and International Funds for purposes of holding to a 40% Stock and 60% Bond/Cash Allocation.

Anyone else doing this?

Thanks

:greetings10:

I assume the cash isn't going into Wellesley. And it is itself 37% stocks. So Wellesley/cash 90/10 should be close to what you want already. Not my cup of tea, but it is a valid and simple portfolio. I would at least like to separate the bonds and stocks to a larger extent to allow rebalancing and a spend-down of bonds only during bear markets.

While I like Wellesley, I have a rule of not putting more than 15% of my port into any single investment. Sounds as if you may be going quite a bit beyond that, however, like anything else, who knows if Wellesley may fall out of favor or experience some problem in the future.

Thanks for your thoughts - I pulled the trigger and moved most of my assets today. I still have 1/3 of my $ in Fidelity Index funds so that's where I will move/change allocations if I want. 10% cash is in CD's/savings accounts. I had my annual financial review with Vanguard last night and they let me know that many people or moving this way. I have played with this for 20+yrs and have been happy with the way that the fund handled the good and bad times.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom