Join Early Retirement Today

Consulting after Retirement (fun with names)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Consulting after Retirement (fun with names)

As I circle the drain ever closer to FIREday at the end of the year I've had a couple of requests to consult during my afterlife. If I do so I guess I'll need to come up with a name for my (1-man) laser sciences consulting corporation. My current favorites:

LOGOS
(sounds all serious/philosophical, until I reveal it stands for Lazy Old Guy Optical Services)

or even better:

Principle of Least Action
(Physicists will think it means I'm a serious Quantum Mechanic, but friends will realize it refers to my work ethic)

I could come up with lots more, but I've probably killed all potential business already.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #2

If you are forming a Corp this doesn't apply, but if you are just consulting as a proprietorship, it's easier to just use your own name. Otherwise, you usually need to get a DBA and setup bank accounts using that, etc.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

I consulted for an old boss just as a sole proprietor using my own name. That's the easiest way to go. You can get an EIN from the IRS and set up an Individual 401k, but that was pretty simple.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

I did some optics consulting earlier this year and just did it under my own name as a sole proprietor. Forget the company names, just consult under your own name and it keeps the taxes simple.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you do choose a DBA, it is not a good idea to have a flippant name.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
If I do so I guess I'll need to come up with a name for my (1-man) laser sciences consulting corporation. My current favorites:

LOGOS
(sounds all serious/philosophical, until I reveal it stands for Lazy Old Guy Optical Services)

or even better:

Principle of Least Action
(Physicists will think it means I'm a serious Quantum Mechanic, but friends will realize it refers to my work ethic)

I could come up with lots more, but I've probably killed all potential business already.
Diffraction Limited is taken.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

forget the name... watch out for violation of employment contracts or using information/techniques from prior employment. Those previous "works for hire" might not be usable in consulting.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OOPS

Optimal Optical Professional Services.

OCULAR

Optical Consulting Utilizing Ludicrously Ample Remuneration.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Jesus found me when I retired. He suggested First Universal Church of Knowledge but it's ok to use the initials.