Join Early Retirement Today

contingent beneficiary
Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

contingent beneficiary

I don't know why I'm stuck on this one but here goes. If my primary beneficiary passes, do I, as the account holder need to update my contingent beneficiary to primary or can I leave this as is?
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I don't know why I'm stuck on this one but here goes. If my primary beneficiary passes, do I, as the account holder need to update my contingent beneficiary to primary or can I leave this as is?
AFAIK you can leave it as is if you have documentation of the passing of the primary beneficiary, such as a copy of the death certificate.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

I would imagine you could leave it as is, but I expect there would be more paperwork to collect (proof of death, etc.). Updating makes far more sense, to me.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would update it, if for no other reason that I would want to make sure that I've got the primary as I want it, and also have a contingent in case that person also dies. I also agree it would make distribution simpler and quicker.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

you can leave it as it... BUT if you contingent beneficiary dies... you have not payable beneficiary unless you used appropriate wording to define who is next in line.

I would update unless you really have no on else to give to. ...say you could put me on the list!! --joking.

Check how your state defines it if not spelled out. Do they go down the linage of you or your previous beneficiaries?

If you don't define, someone else will.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
you can leave it as it... BUT if you contingent beneficiary dies... you have not payable beneficiary unless you used appropriate wording to define who is next in line.

I would update unless you really have no on else to give to. ...say you could put me on the list!! --joking.

Check how your state defines it if not spelled out. Do they go down the linage of you or your previous beneficiaries?

If you don't define, someone else will.
If you have the phrase "per stipes" after the contingent beneficiary, it will pas to their heirs.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

It's best to update it so the contingent doesn't have to worry about producing a death cert for the primary who is now deceased. Also you can insert a new contingent. Your trust should probably be last contingent if you have a trust.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #8

With VG, you can update beneficiaries online in less than 5 minutes. In the event the primary beneficiary dies before you, why not udate it? No point in letting this become a problem for the contingent beneficiary, or letting assets require probate (which I'm assuming would be the next step).
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
If you have the phrase "per stipes" after the contingent beneficiary, it will pas to their heirs.
It also does that if you put per capita... but how it does it is differently. They each have a method of dividing assets based on different rule for dividing assets. These are likely the most common. Depending upon the way the beneficiaries are defined (or who is alive at distribution) can greatly change who gets what.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spellcheck: per stirpes
Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Spellcheck: per stirpes
OOPs
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #12

Got it. Thanks all