Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiramlemon30 View Post
I agree with hotwired. Where we seem to be in the cycle, I would rather have the guaranteed return (even if not great) and peace of mind of paying off the mortgage.

Agreed! If you look at the statistics all the people that are foreclosed on have mortgages
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi everyone... I'm revisiting this topic.

We currently owe $281,432 on our mortgage @ 4.625%. If we were to sell, I'd expect to get $420k for the house.

My wife and I were looking at how much we've spent on mortgage insurance and interest, and it's adding up quite a bit!

Do you think I should refinance or just start paying this off super fast? We've got about $90k liquid cash right now, wondering if I should drop a good amount into the mortgage.

I apprecaite everyone's help!
dsp0725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #83

What refi % and fees are you looking at so we can compare?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should be able to get PMI dropped with ~30% equity. Ask your mortgage company what it takes.

As far as the interest goes, have you been making more in investments than the interest rate? If so, you're good. It's a trade off, pay interest in the remaining mortage, while investing the mortgage amount. Or pay off the mortgage, and you've no longer got that $280K invested.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

You used to be able to get a new appraisal (you'd pay for this but around here they're only several hundred dollars), give it to your current mortgage company, and if the LTV was below 78% then they would have to drop PMI. This would be a lower-cost method than refinancing if your goal is just to get rid of PMI.

Whether to refinance or not probably depends on whether you think you'll live there long enough to recoup the refinancing costs. The simplistic math is cost of refinance / monthly after-tax savings, where monthly after-tax savings = mortgage balance * (old interest rate - new interest rate) * marginal income tax bracket.

It also depends on the things that I laid out in post #2 on this thread, plus whatever everyone else added after that.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am not a very funny person, so bear that in mind but this is my feeble attempt at humor:

Guy-With-Mortgage during a bull market: "I'm so brilliant! I am making a fortune investing the extra money!!!"

Guy-With-Mortgage during a bear market: "I'm ruined. I wonder if I should sell everything, move to Mexico, or go back to work."

Guy-With-Paid-Off-Home during a bull market: "I may not have a fortune but it's wonderful to sleep as well as I do."

Guy-With-Paid-Off-Home during a bear market: "What's all the fuss about? Sure, I'm doing some belt tightening but it's wonderful to sleep as well as I do."

OK, I tried. If that wasn't very funny, then feel sorry for my poor brother who put up with my weird jokes for decades.
I find this post amusing and appreciate the humor. I can also relate to it. I am also in the camp of sleeping well at night knowing I have zero debt. I sleep even better knowing that my fixed investments are enough to cover all my necessary expenses. Then I take any excess and invest in the market. In a bull market, I am fat, dumb and happy. In a bear market, I am able to sleep knowing the market can tank as much as it wants and eventually it will turn around but it does not bother me how long that takes.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, what has changed since the last discussion?

I would want some liquidity rather than tying up all my money in the house. I would also be investing at least some of that $90K rather than keeping it in cash.

Back in November you had $103K cash. 5 months later you're down to $90K. What happened to $13K? Did you invest some of it, or are you spending more than you are making, or what?
Old 04-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I am also in the camp of sleeping well at night knowing I have zero debt.
Yep. Those of us in the "pay off the mortgage ASAP and never have any debt" camp aren't bothered a bit by those who present arguments (most of them probably valid) for the other side. We sleep well.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Do you think those who fully have the means to pay off the mortgage but choose to invest it instead have any trouble sleeping?

OP isn't able to pay off the mortgage in full, btw.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yep. Those of us in the "pay off the mortgage ASAP and never have any debt" camp aren't bothered a bit by those who present arguments (most of them probably valid) for the other side. We sleep well.
Agreed and this is one thing I love about this forum. There are different points of view and different ways folks choose to handle their own personal situations. No right or wrong and no one knows for sure what the future holds. [Most] folks are very respectful in stating their opinions and do not state theirs as a matter of fact. Although, occasionally people do. It helps me a lot to see the varying perspectives - and, it is always nice to occasionally see that some people agree with mine.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
...I am also in the camp of sleeping well at night knowing I have zero debt. ...
I sleep well at night knowing that I can pay off my mortgage with a few clicks of the mouse at any time of my choosing.

In the meantime, since I last refinanced in January 2012, I am over $100k ahead of the game as my portfolio returns have far exceeded my 3.375% mortgage interest.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #92

Forget the pool. This will hurt when you decide to sell the house down the road.
About 50% of buyers do not want a pool so, right away you have thrown away half of your potential buyer's market when you try to sell.

I put in a pool in our old house 20 yrs ago. It was a different situation ... my wife had just passed away and I had 3 young kids. With her modest life insurance, I could afford it and it brought some joy and fun into my kids' lives. For that reason it was worth it.

Selling the house later became difficult because a lot of people were turned off by a pool.