Join Early Retirement Today

Conundrum
Old 03-17-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Conundrum

What do you make of this question? If my portfolio amount will allow for a withdrawal rate of, say $30,000 per year and achieve 99% FIREcalc results, what happens if in, say, 5 years the portfolio increases to a level where FIREcalc says I can withdraw $50,00 per year and still achieve 99%? Can you reset the annual withdrawal amount based on better than expected returns? This would seem to fly in the face of the underlying principle. Same question holds for any calculation of withdrawal amounts - like the 4% rule.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Conundrum
Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Can you reset the annual withdrawal amount based on better than expected returns?

Yes, as long as you believe future returns will be no worse than historical returns.

If you are complete pessimist, though - you should not spend any money at all, until you are safely dead
Old 03-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The thread linked below might help, PSMalloy. It's long, but there's lots of good stuff in it. It is one of our best threads ever, in my view.

http://early-retirement.org/cgi-bin/...235218;start=0
Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

***** likes it because it points out the flaw and the valuations argument, which he enjoys trolling through.

The bottom line is the calculator has no idea WHEN you actually retire, just what you tell it, and will produce a faithfully accurate result for what you feed it, based on historical data.

It is however, just a tool that has the same limitations of any other tool...it cant forsee the future, it can only explore results and information that are included in its coding, and it is only as good as its data, all of which is historical and some of which is implied.

The bottom line is that historically you can take 4% of your initial investment, inflation adjusted, for life and not run out of money.

Go ahead troll, run with it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[quote]

The bottom line is that historically you can take 4% of your initial investment, inflation adjusted, for life and not run out of mo

TH: When I retired in 1987, a guy I worked with was worried sick about me. (What me worry?)
His parting shot to me was "remember, don't take out more than 5% of your net worth each year. That sounded pretty damn spartan at the time.
Everything I've ever read since that time, by all brands of investment advice uses 4% as a benchmark.
The first 10 years of our retirement, we (as close as I can figure) were probably spending about 6%.
Probably not good advise, but you"re only young once, and we had a good time.
In the last 4 or 5 years, we've tried to hold it to about 4% or so, and feel comfortable that we'll be alright at that figure.
If the "real old me", has a problem with the younger "me" for spending more than he should have, well there's always litigation

Old 03-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Adds new meaning to the term "sue me", doesnt it
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Psmalloy

Trust no one. If your portfolio is not producing enough dividends and interest to live on - change the portfolio!

SWR is just a number in a spreadsheet calc.

Dividends and interest are real money.

A little tongue in cheek - but only a little.

If what you got ain't cranking out real money - you'd better be doing some hard looking and hard thinking.

Harsh words but I'm tuning myself up to hit my two file cabinets of DRIP dividend stocks to see how much I owe the IRS.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #8

psmalloy, welcome to the board. Funny you should mention this as we had a very long thread discussing this a while back that was recently...a couple of hours before your post, I think...mentioned again. And ***** promptly and helpfully provided the link in response to your first post here. Hope the Canadian joke doesn't offend you.

I think the consensus was that SWR theory and the 4% rule is a reality check guideline and not a religious belief. For religion I'm sure ***** can provide you with an alternate toolset to provide a "true" SWR. Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses are less persistent, though.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #9

For religion I'm sure ***** can provide you...

You don't think Team Intercst treats the SWR question with all the intensity of a do-or-die religious dogma, BigMoneyJim?

Are you looking at the same posts I'm looking at? Intercst has a board over at his web site that he calls the HocoMania Forum that has generated more posts in a few weeks than any other board there has generated in over a year. He put one up here today showing how they are trying to get new words put in the dictionary.

You think these guys are all cool with a "live and let live" take on this?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Its about the only response one can have to an energizer bunny troll like yourself. Band together and make fun of it.

Just so the folks that dont wander very far afield in the ER community are aware. ***** makes this volume of posts not just here, but on at least 3 different other web sites. He's equally despised on all three, except by a couple of guys and one webmaster he pays. At least its possible there are a couple of other guys, might just be him and three PC's.

And he tells me to get a hobby.
:
Old 03-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #11

He's equally despised on all three

I don't think that anyone despises me, TH. I'll grant you the possibility that intercst really does, but I am not personally convinced of even that.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Oh believe me...you're very widely despised.

If you really and truly dont think so...wow. Just wow.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #13

I see lots of evidence going the other way, TH. Maybe you are seeing something you want to see.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see lots of evidence going the other way....
*****, is it true you put the river in denial?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
For religion I'm sure ***** can provide you...

You don't think Team Intercst treats the SWR question with all the intensity of a do-or-die religious dogma, BigMoneyJim?
No. I haven't figured out who's on Team Intercst. And in that 6.21% thread everyone wound up saying 4% is just a guideline anyway--we didn't come up with anyone who follows it as the studies are structured. As I understand it intercst himself is probably way under schedule due to a concentrated portfolio that shot up after retirement. intercst's an engineer by trade. I see intercst answering techincal questions about the studies, laws and tax implications. You are the one interjecting a methodology into threads on 3 or more boards and can't explain the methodology to anyone's satisfaction. The people posting to the 4% rule boards seem to largely favor diversification and passive management, but as I understand it your method requires active management and technical analysis which by the way is disputed. You are the one that likes to call your SWR method "true", and you keep reminding people of your participation and contributions to the ER community. intercst may preach some, but you're knocking on doors and evangelizing.

EDIT: By the way, I know where to go if I want to find out more about your and JWR's research. You have your place to do that. Is Team Intercst assaulting your ability to do that?

Quote:
Are you looking at the same posts I'm looking at? Intercst has a board over at his web site that he calls the HocoMania Forum that has generated more posts in a few weeks than any other board there has generated in over a year.
As you've seen, I'm posting there now.

EDIT: What puzzles me is you are, too. Many of those posts are by you, and you come off as quite insane sometimes.

Quote:
He put one up here today showing how they are trying to get new words put in the dictionary.
Calling Wikipedia a dictionary is a bit off base. It's a world-editable web encyclopedia where anyone can create or edit entries. Right now I could edit Hitler's entry to say "cool guy but didn't plan for retirement" or you could edit Hocomania's entry to explain your SWR research.

Quote:
You think these guys are all cool with a "live and let live" take on this?
You've been pounding the same drum for 3 years. Nobody likes your SWR ideas or thinks the method is valid. You keep pressing anyway. I think you're shown way more tolerance than anyone else on these boards.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #16

everyone wound up saying 4% is just a guideline

If 4 percent is just a guideline, then why can't we have other guidelines put forward for our consideration? Why is there such hostility evidenced anytime puts up a thread identifying the SWR for stocks as some number other than 4?

your method requires active management and technical analysis

I have not put anything forward requiring any such thing. I have reported to the board that intercst got the number wrong in the REHP study. I explained why. JWR1945 calculated the number properly and told us what the correct number is. There's lots of other stuff he has done following up from that. But it's not the other stuff causing the trouble. It's me telling the board that intercst got the number wrong that is the cause of the trouble. That's clear as clear can be.

you're knocking on doors and evangelizing.

It's A-OK by me if no one accepts what I say re SWRs. What I ask is that people stop disrupting the threads so that anyone who wants to listen and ask questions may do so. All that I ask is a minimal level of civility.

You've been pounding the same drum for 3 years.

I've never pounded a drum for 10 seconds. I put up a post reporting accurately what the historical data says re SWRs. That is what you are supposed to do on a Retire Early board, provide solid information on the subject of early retirement. Since then I have been responding to thousands of questions directed at me.

The drum is being pounded by others. If others cool down, there will be no drums to be heard. Just learning together threads participated in by those with an interest in participating on them.

Nobody likes your SWR ideas or thinks the method is valid.

If no one liked the ideas, there would be no problem. If no one liked the ideas, there would be no threat to intercst. Team Intercst could ignore my stuff and all would be groovy.

The trouble is that there has been a strong positive response at every board community at which I have brought forward the Data-Based SWR Tool. Allow the discussions and people are going to learn. Allow people to learn, and people are going to shift over time from using the REHP study to using a valid SWR methodology.

That's what I want to see happen. That's what intercst and his supporters do not want to see happen. The concern that that is what will happen if the threads are not disrupted is the source of all the friction.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

2.53% Vanguard Balanced Index - 60/40

3.06% Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 - 50/50

3.6% Vanguard Wellesley - 40/60 managed value.

Yawn!
Old 03-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
The drum is being pounded by others. If others cool down, there will be no drums to be heard. Just learning together threads participated in by those with an interest in participating on them.

Nobody likes your SWR ideas or thinks the method is valid.

If no one liked the ideas, there would be no problem. If no one liked the ideas, there would be no threat to intercst. Team Intercst could ignore my stuff and all would be groovy.

The trouble is that there has been a strong positive response at every board community at which I have brought forward the Data-Based SWR Tool. Allow the discussions and people are going to learn. Allow people to learn, and people are going to shift over time from using the REHP study to using a valid SWR methodology.

That's what I want to see happen. That's what intercst and his supporters do not want to see happen. The concern that that is what will happen if the threads are not disrupted is the source of all the friction.
I'm reading that over and over, and what I hear is that you want to be able to teach your vision on SWR without interruption or dissention.

All threads have interruptions and dissenting opinions. They're public forums, heloooOOOooo. You want to pontificate without interruption then make your own website.

No one is deleting your posts. Your presentations and arguments are there. If they can't stand up on their own merits it's not Dory36's job to prop them up for you. And it's not my job to stand by and watch you make grandiose statements about some magic true valid method that nobody else seems to understand and not challenge it if I feel so inclined.

The fact that I've been around this community the past 3 years and can't describe (to your satisfaction) your method is a failure on your part, no? Or did Team Intercst disrupt my understanding?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #19

Quote:
What do you make of this question? *If my portfolio amount will allow for a withdrawal rate of, say $30,000 per year and achieve 99% FIREcalc results, what happens if in, say, 5 years the portfolio increases to a level where FIREcalc says I can withdraw $50,00 per year and still achieve 99%? *Can you reset the annual withdrawal amount based on better than expected returns? *This would seem to fly in the face of the underlying principle. *Same question holds for any calculation of withdrawal amounts - like the 4% rule.
I believe there are at least two methodologies you could use.

Method I: Start with your initial portfolio and withdraw no more than 4% adjusted for inflation forever.

Method II: Each year determine what your portfolio is and withdraw no more than 4%. In years where the portfolio goes up, your withdrawal goes up. In years where it goes down, your withdrawal goes down.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I believe there are at least two methodologies you could use. *

Method I: *Start with your initial portfolio and withdraw no more than 4% adjusted for inflation forever. *

Method II: *Each year determine what your portfolio is and withdraw no more than 4%. *In years where the portfolio goes up, your withdrawal goes up. *In years where it goes down, your withdrawal goes down.
There's also a third method called the "Pay Out Period Reset (POPR) Method.

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/popr.html

intercst