Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The lack of instant gratification in brewing is an issue for me. I'd love to do tons of experiments, real controlled, side-by-side variations, all carefully logged and scientific - but having to wait 4 weeks or more for results just kills my motivation. I just dry hopped (adding hops after fermentation is mostly complete) a beer I brewed last week. I'l bottle it in another week or two, then give it a few weeks to carbonate/condition. And the last time I brewed a similar one, it really was much better after a month or two. The sample today tasted very good, so I know nothing went horribly wrong, but I won't know if it pleases me until it is bottled, carbonated and conditioned. Waiting is torture!
-ERD50
And if I cannot wait for 4 weeks, I definitely do not have the vintner's patience that is needed to spend years to raise the vines, then wait a few years more after his grapes are pressed.

And to think of the Cognac makers who age their spirits for 20+ years.

Beers, wines, or spirits, it's cheap what I have to pay to just pop the cork and just to pour it to enjoy. I am grateful for what the producers are doing for me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would not see some of my relatives face-to-face otherwise.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I have observed myself arguing disagreeing just as often with my closest friend who is a Libertarian, as with other friends who are conservative and some of our siblings who are liberal. Though the discussions were heated at times, I tried not to take things too personally.

These political debates have mellowed down with time. I do not know that we are all getting tired of it, or have slowly realized that the other side got some valid points. Maybe a little of everything...
Old 11-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
For me a good beer is just as enjoyable, each has it moment. Unfortunately I like beer more than it likes me. Still, to expand on an earlier unexplained link, it looks like there may soon be problems with wine prices rising due to shortage.
Felix Salmon to the rescue once again, second important contribution to this thread. in his view, in this post, there is no wine shortage. It is ian attempt by Morgan Stanley to massage the data to produce an investment recommendation.
Quote:
But if you look closely at the Morgan Stanley report, it starts to look less like a dispassionate analysis of supply and demand dynamics in the wine world, and more like an aggressively-argued attempt to put forward one particular investment thesis as strongly as possible. What’s more, the investment thesis is not, particularly, based on the existence of any present or future wine shortage; it’s simply trying to present the idea that demand for Australian wine exports is likely to rise, and to justify the fact that a company called Treasury Wine Estates is the bank’s “top Australian consumer pick”. (The report was written by Morgan Stanley Australia.)