Convincing myself that I have enough money to retire

My early target was to go out at 58. I could have but did two OMY and went out at 60. Similarly, I had a very good job with good pay, but commensurate stress. I certainly did consider that those two years I gave up were probably my healthiest and work degraded health, so that was sort of a compounded negative. On the other hand I left a lot of money on the table by not working two more years (to 62), but I did not see how that extra money was going to improve my lifelong happiness. Only two months into "RE" and I am extremely happy with how I feel and others (DW, DS, etc) certainly notice that as well. I was ready.

One of the most eye-opening events for me was my vacation last summer. I vacation every summer at the beach, but this one was different. This one wasn’t solely about getting away from the office and enjoying the beach, it was about taking some time to relax and enjoy myself. On other trips, work would never be too far from my mind. This trip I completely unplugged. What I think helped the most is that we used a couple of evenings to do some real estate hunting and really get to the know the entire area. It’s a place at the top of our list to retire to and these ventures had me focused on something entirely different. The next step, aspirations.
What I’m trying to get at is that I never knew how much work-related stress I had until that week. I thought I felt good, had no complaints, this was life. However, during that week, my routines and outlook on my job changed. I was sleeping better, eating better/less. Much happier. It wasn’t until I had this “unknown” stress removed from me did I realize I had had it.
I’m hoping retirement is the same eye-opening experience. I’ve gotten a taste of it, and I like that FREE version of me.

Since your mentioned it, definitely, talking with a counselor would be helpful if you have concerns.
Perhaps you could work part time and live on retirement budget for a year to reassure yourself, yet still have your job to fall back on?
Ernie Zelinski's book "how to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" is a good guide to give you some thought on what your retirement might look like. Everyone's idea is different, as is your decision on what works for you

I’ve been going through this for the last 2 years (100% success rate with low SWR, etc) and my job is not high stress at all. I wouldn’t do it for free, but I have good friends and have been at it for almost 40 years, 27 right here. For me personally, I’ve concluded for all practical purposes it is a combination of greed and my own income expectations (whether needed or not) coupled with the remote fear of “what if I get divorced”. Not that I expect it in the least, but I have been previously divorced and have known the financial devastation that occurred. I’m making more now than I ever did, with less effort. I have an easy commute (2 miles). Health care would be company subsidized until age 65. I will have max SS whenever Inchoose to get it. No office politics to speak of. I even calculated that for each month I keep working, my net income increases about $50/mo/mo. My net income when I retire will exceed my net income now, assuming I no longer save 25% for investing. I have plenty of enjoyable things “to retire to” and many can even make me money. I’ve always planned to work until 64 and only lowered it to 62 a few years ago, and instead of saying “look, you already passed the nest egg and income goals you were shooting for at 62, so why not quit”, I come back and say “yeah, but look at how much more I will have at 62 now”.

There HAS to be a time where time left is worth more than dollars earned, and for some reason I don’t feel it. Its along the lines of the above post where the poll was how much wouldnyou have to pay to go back to work. In my case it is how much per year do you have to increase your net worth to stay working. Right now it’s just under a quarter mil a year, though last year hurt some. Everyone says you will know when it is the right time. I feel I will see that in a year. It is also a lot easier staying now that I know I really don’t have to.

Last edited:
I think many of us were also apprehensive. While the numbers may look good, it still feels like a leap of faith.

In this situation I like the quote, "There are some things you just cannot explain to a virgin". :)

Medved, I can't tell you what you should do. But your FA said your good to go. So, what are you waiting for? You do not need anyone's permission or approval. If not now, then when? You will never be at a point while you are alive where there is zero percent risk in retiring. But your situation it seems to me is about as good as it gets. The rest is up to you.

Given you know you have enough intellectually as confirmed by FA, plans, tools, your wife, and all of us going "2% you won, go for it!", and you aren't feeling it yet, yeah, maybe see a therapist. If it's something existential they can hopefully help you uncover it.

Last edited:
My financial advisor says I have enough. FIRECalc gives me a 100% chance of success, using spending that is higher than what I would actually spend. A two percent withdrawal rate would give me more than enough spending. My wife says we have enough and I should retire whenever I want to. But somehow I am not sure I have really convinced myself. I guess I know it intellectually but I do not feel it. I’m not sure what to do about this. Maybe I should see a psychologist to talk through the issue? It’s like a mental block of some sort, I think. Thoughts?

Sounds like you are afraid to retire. Maybe it's a good thing if you don't mind going to w*rk :dance::dance:

My financial advisor says I have enough. FIRECalc gives me a 100% chance of success, using spending that is higher than what I would actually spend. A two percent withdrawal rate would give me more than enough spending. My wife says we have enough and I should retire whenever I want to. But somehow I am not sure I have really convinced myself. I guess I know it intellectually but I do not feel it. I’m not sure what to do about this. Maybe I should see a psychologist to talk through the issue? It’s like a mental block of some sort, I think. Thoughts?

You'll know it when you get there. In the meantime, don't worry about it.

My wife and I have more than enough. I retired a few years ago, but she's not ready. I support her decision to work as long as she is still enjoying it.

Just because you have enough, that doesn't mean you should retire.

I view work as a means to an end and you don't know how many good years you have left. Thirty years ago, one of our employees retired on Christmas Eve - his 65th birthday. We had the traditional luncheon where coworkers and customers came in to wish him the best. He died that night of a heart attack. Didn't even get to enjoy one day of retirement. If you have the resources to live without work, get busy living.

When I first FIREd I had a hard time believing the math. A few years later and I see the math is working out and am somewhat relieved. Going from paycheck to nothing takes some getting used to.

... A two percent withdrawal rate would give me more than enough spending...

The S&P500 is paying 2% dividend, and that's near historical low. You can live on just that, and let the principal grow.

You will be happy to see your stash grow. Your heirs will be happy. Everybody wins.

You should be very Proud. Quite an achievement !

I view work as a means to an end and you don't know how many good years you have left. Thirty years ago, one of our employees retired on Christmas Eve - his 65th birthday. We had the traditional luncheon where coworkers and customers came in to wish him the best. He died that night of a heart attack. Didn't even get to enjoy one day of retirement. If you have the resources to live without work, get busy living.

A guy at megacorp retired on Friday, and people had a party for him. On Monday, his wife called in to say he died over the weekend due to a heart attack.

If he had died while still working, his wife would have picked up a casualty insurance provided free by the company for all employees. It was worth a year salary.

Moral of story: if you are going to die soon, don't retire and die. Die at work to get extra benefits. :)

Thirty years ago, one of our employees retired on Christmas Eve - his 65th birthday. We had the traditional luncheon where coworkers and customers came in to wish him the best. He died that night of a heart attack. Didn't even get to enjoy one day of retirement.
Maybe he enjoyed many days of work.

If you have the resources to live without work, get busy living.
If you think work isn't living, you are doing it wrong.

Learn to enjoy every day you have, both while working and while retired. Don't wait until you retire to find enjoyment in your days.

... If you think work isn't living, you are doing it wrong...

Many people retire, then find some other activities as a pastime. I like my work so much, I find similar things to do to keep busy in retirement.

Now, that can be difficult to do if you are a surgeon or a dentist. It's easy to continue the same work as a hobby if you are an engineer. :)

Last edited:
OP has posted similar threads over the years. I was struck by this information in his introduction :

I have done a pretty good job of saving. I have a bit more than $10 million in taxable accounts and around $2.5 million in tax deferred. I have no debt and a house that is paid for and probably worth around $1.2mm When I retire, I will get around $1 million paid out over a few years, but beyond that no pension or retiree medical.
All I can say is, you really don't have a financial reason to balk, but I can understand being hesitant to make the jump for psychological reasons. Maybe this isn't the right place to get that answer. It might help to work with someone who understands psychology more intimately and can work with you through your fears and questions to come to a well thought out decision.

A while back I read a post on the "Living A FI" blog about the author seeing a therapist for the exact same dilemma. The post was called "Mid-life FI-sis" or something similar. It was very helpful to me. You might find it helpful to you too. Good luck-

Many people retire, then find some other activities as a pastime. I like my work so much, I find similar things to do to keep busy in retirement.

Doing things you enjoy is always good.

It seems like from this thread and similar threads it is a lot harder to walk away from a $500K or $1M a year kind of jobs than it is from jobs that pay $30k - $100K a year, which makes sense.

If you have upwards of $15M as is suggested above, there should be NO reason not to retire for financial reasons, especially if your spending is below 2%. That would still give you $300k per year, which you could surely ratchet back a bit if you had to. Perhaps there are some nonfinancial reasons holding you back a bit too? How will I spend my time? What if I am bored?

It seems like from this thread and similar threads it is a lot harder to walk away from a $500K or $1M a year kind of jobs than it is from jobs that pay $30k - $100K a year, which makes sense.

This is my feeling. If you pull $500-1m+ working a few extra years can quickly give you some significant extra insurance going into retirement. An extra year at $50k just doesn't have the same ability to pad the savings account. It's easy to say walk away when talking to someone else but hard to just walk away from a high income.

Just turned 55...long work hours and work stress have had a big impact on me and imposed a heavy cost.
At a 2% withdrawal rate, and what you've written, it's way past time to give it up. Give two week's notice, and enjoy FIRE!

If your reluctance is not about the money, I'd also suggest the "How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free" book by Zelinski. It has some great ideas on how to figure out what you want to do in retirement, if you don't already know.

Would you rather die at work of a heart attack, or live another couple of decades retired? Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom