Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
You're just being polite right?
Yes. Trying not to throw any more fuel on the various fires burning on this thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
They didn't
Maybe they should find a job they actually like.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #323
Recycles dryer sheets

My oldest son got his masters in analytics, and right out of the chute he was making $100k. Luckily, he decided that toys may be fun, but they break and when you are his age, they can be very expensive! He is saving about 50% of his net pay (LBYM, but not as far as I would like), and he would like to "retire" from analytics shortly after turning 30 and do something "worthwhile". I believe that marriage (he has a SO that will likely lead to something permanent) and kids (he wants them and she really wants them) will postpone his "retirement" from analytics, but at his savings rate, 35 would be an easy age to walk away and do some much lower pay non-profit work. Is that "retirement" or a job change, I don't know how Purplesky would treat it, but to me, the fact that he will have the choice to leave the high pay, high stress job to go to a lower pay and stress position when he doesn't need the $ to live sounds like retirement to me.
He is 26, so definitely fits the millennial.

Now if kids come along, he will be working for a while longer!!
Old 06-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #324
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Maybe they should find a job they actually like.
They did. They write a blog.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #325
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
They didn't
Life can be rough.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
https://youtu.be/lj60OAh7O5U
Cool Hand Luke, as always, has the answer.
Perfect
Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
They did. They write a blog.
It's a crowded field and shrinking market.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #328
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What do you call homeless people then? They also decided to change the way they live.
These people aren't homeless or destitute.

Haven't a clue how your response follows.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Or we wind up paying for them and their followers by way of higher taxes ... It's a zero sum game.
Many folks criticize those of us for leaving our jobs before the full retirement age of 65/66 because we are no longer paying into Social Security or Medicare and they figure they'll have to make up for that shortfall.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
These people aren't homeless or destitute.

Haven't a clue how your response follows.
I think they are one step above homeless. They have a car they can sleep on. This is not an RV. I have friends at the gym that they were hurt in a car accident, couldn't work anymore and they lost their apartment. They have to sleep in their car. Trust me, they don't glorify it as anything but destitute.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #331
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
It all sounds great... except for renting out the house to AirBnB. I really don't want people bringing in their bedbugs to my home. I'll OMY to avoid having to rent out my home.

But, hey, that's the millennial way. Share close spaces, bugs and diseases. Whatever.

(This is where the I of my ISTJ comes out, big time.)
I'm ISTJ too, and I don't know how hungry I'd have to be to have an AirBnB in my home. It almost makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think they are one step above homeless. They have a car they can sleep on. This is not an RV. I have friends at the gym that they were hurt in a car accident, couldn't work anymore and they lost their apartment. They have to sleep in their car. Trust me, they don't glorify it as anything but destitute.
They own a house, and have substantial savings. Who knows what they will do over the next ten years.

They have plenty of time to figure out what's working for them or not and make adjustments. And why would either of them not be able to work anymore?

By your example, many, if not most people are one step away from homeless. Few have disability insurance. A run of bad luck and boom!
Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #333

Quote:
I think they are one step above homeless. They have a car they can sleep on. I have friends at the gym that I frequented, they were hurt in a car accident, could work anymore and they lost their apartment. They have to sleep in their car. Trust me, they don't glorify it as anything but destitute.
There is a big difference between sleeping in your car because you like camping and cheap travel and being destitute. They actually own a home, they just aren't currently living in it.

Would you like it better if they sold their house and moved to a $50k home in rural Minnesota?

They have enough money that they can live like college students for the rest of their lives if they want to. If they want a higher standard of living down the road or if they want kids, they'll have to go back to work or get a side hustle. That isn't likely to be the end of the world.

Like I said earlier, it's not like the FIRE police are going to shoot them for seeking gainful employment 10 years from now.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
https://youtu.be/lj60OAh7O5U
Cool Hand Luke, as always, has the answer.
Definitely describes this thread.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
There is a big difference between sleeping in your car because you like camping and cheap travel and being destitute. They actually own a home, they just aren't currently living in it.

Would you like it better if they sold their house and moved to a $50k home in rural Minnesota?

They have enough money that they can live like college students for the rest of their lives if they want to. If they want a higher standard of living down the road or if they want kids, they'll have to go back to work or get a side hustle. That isn't likely to be the end of the world.

Like I said earlier, it's not like the FIRE police are going to shoot them for seeking gainful employment 10 years from now.
What they have is irrelevant. I'm sure you've read some homeless people have stashed away millions when they died.

http://www.npr.org/2009/07/27/111091...rise-4-million

And if they are going back to work in 10 years then they are not really retiring.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #336

There you go. The opinion remains the same weather they have 1 mill or 10 mill.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #337
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Many folks criticize those of us for leaving our jobs before the full retirement age of 65/66 because we are no longer paying into Social Security or Medicare and they figure they'll have to make up for that shortfall.
While others (and perhaps even some of the same) urge we should get out of the work force and pass our jobs down to the next generation... (Guess I'm for that last one.)
Old 06-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #338

Fedup - I will confess.... I'm very confused by your posts. You keep changing the rules/requirements for destitute, homeless, retired, etc.

Destitute because they live in a car (or did before they bought a home)
Homeless because they lived in a car - except they own a home.
But homeless/destitute people can have lots of money stashed - so how are they destitute?

These folks own a home. Have serious savings - although not as much as they used to. Have income producing plans (blog, airbnb). But still they're called liars, frauds, destitute, homeless, etc...
Old 06-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
While others (and perhaps even some of the same) urge we should get out of the work force and pass our jobs down to the next generation... (Guess I'm for that last one.)
Exactly!

People can always come up with reasons why other people's choices hurt them personally.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #340
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm re-reading some of this thread and read their blog some.

I have had a successful career in technology. But I think I'm getting old.

I love the idea of banking a million and enjoying life some in my 30's. Maybe if I'm lucky and the sequence of returns is right, never working solely for a paycheck again.

I hate the idea of doing it and trying to cash in on it by blogging publicly so I can hawk some affiliate and ad income to the modern reality tv voyeur or become "known" somehow.

We live in a strange world. LOL