Cool FIRE article in MSN Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys/gals, I just dropped in and began reading this thread. I also read many financial blogs (ERE, MMM, etc.) and am always looking for the "nugget" or two to get me thinking. One thing that really amazes me are the number of nit pickers that comment on the sites. "Not really retired", "the blog is still a job", "numbers don't work". I guess I equate financial freedom with the freedom part more important than the financial part. 10 years ago, I would have said I wanted to work until I dropped because of good health and a booming business I had created. But then the business blew up (recession of '08), and the health dropped off a little. Now I part time it, but I decide whether to work or not. My investments give me that freedom. I consider myself retired, but many would argue that point.
As for me, I really don't care that Jacob at ERE has gone back into the workforce or that MMM now makes blogging cash. They both have proved their points (with early retirement) and are now following their new dreams. And both STILL give me ideas when I drop in.

Enginerds and Aspies tend to like to nitpick. So do financial types and other related numbers people. Then there are the "INxx" personality types added in who tend to analyze.

We just don't have a lot of the free spirit aspirationals here. Most in here have succeeded in FIRE- So they have been there and done (or are doing) that and have found flaws in the plan and point those out - it's experience and wisdom speaking, not haters or what ever the Internet labels anyone who disagrees with what's being said.

Yes. We may be honest. We may even be (gasp) cruel. But this forum is about the only place where you can get real honest opinions, not some bullshit feel good "everyone gets a medal" nonsense accolades for not achieving anything remotely spectacular that has otherwise become far too prevalent in today's "everyone's a winner" world- both real and virtual. There are plenty of places for that elsewhere

There are members here including me who value the debate. The constructive criticism and the discussion of both sides of the coin that is, infact , one of the points of value in a forum board like this.

Hardly group think, I believe we had a good balance of for and against.

Never did this thread become a personal attack or unprofessional.

Respectfully, Not to be exclusionary, I would say if a reader doesn't like the heat then this is probably not the right kitchen to enter - some folks need to grow thicker skin.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is way more negative than the tone usually is on the forum. I've been reading for years (I just don't post much). Hell, the original retire early forum back on the Motely Fool website in the 90s was more positive than this thread too. :p

I was extremely surprised at the negative comments that started in the FIRST 25 POSTS! I should have known better when there were 400+ posts in a matter of days...that is NEVER a good sign.

I haven't been around here too long, but one thing I have always liked about it is how civil it is in comparison with just about every other forum out there...but lately it's been about as bad as all the others...and that makes me sad.

I am not sure why there are so many people that are SO judgmental about others lately. As my wife would say, "If you aren't cooking for me, paying my bills or (can't say the third thing here, so use your imagination) then what does it matter to you?"

I was extremely surprised at the negative comments that started in the FIRST 25 POSTS! I should have known better when there were 400+ posts in a matter of days...that is NEVER a good sign.

I haven't been around here too long, but one thing I have always liked about it is how civil it is in comparison with just about every other forum out there...but lately it's been about as bad as all the others...and that makes me sad.

I am not sure why there are so many people that are SO judgmental about others lately. As my wife would say, "If you aren't cooking for me, paying my bills or (can't say the third thing here, so use your imagination) then what does it matter to you
?"

because isn't the purpose of a forum is to have DIFFERENT opinions?? so basically you're saying that if we don't agree with these folks where judgmental?

I love how people say others are being "judgmental' in one breathe while doing the exact same thing.

So I see basically that as others have pointed out, we don't really want different views, we want everyone to hold our views (lol, sort of like our current political situation) and if you don't your "negative".
:confused:

ok like I said I'm playing in this universe I can tow the company line also.

Ohhh, how wonderful, this couple has figured out the true meaning of life, they are retired at 30" :rolleyes:

Thanks folks, we believe that this thread has now run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom