Cool FIRE article in MSN Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL - It sounds like they are. They like travelling with Bruno.

I am curious - what is the cutoff for "OK" to be retired? 40? 50? What about 39?

I'm asking this as an intellectual exercise.... I assume my retirement age (52) met the approved range for ER. As others have mentioned - this is the **EARLY** retirement forum. I thought we were supportive of people wanting to retire early. But apparently there is some magic age that makes it ok vs too early.

Now the FI side of FIRE.... I agree they cut it closer than I would.... but most people here are saying they aren't retired (vs FI)... and seem to be focusing on their age, saying they haven't worked enough.

So - what is the magic age? I think we should decide and then put it in the FAQ's about ER thread.

If they hadn't purchased that house with some of that $1 million they might have pulled early retirement off.

Work 2 more years and pay cash for a killer house. But no they saw a unicorn.

or probably going back to work was really part of the plan.

I say at any age below age 40 with 2 million free and clear to live off for life would qualify early retirement.

Last edited:
didn't we have a pole about how early is early?

Ask your self this question? If both of your boys want to retire at 20 do you agree with their decisions.

I would be fine with it--if she had saved enough money by then to retire, hell she wouldn't be a bump. Your grandfather sounds like he inherited his fortune, the couple in this story earned their money, so it isn't a fair comparison.

I fully anticipate my daughter retiring early, she has seen me and her mom do it and even now at age 20 she has 4 years in her ROTH account and has learned to live off 75% of her take home pay. So given her young age and her living below means attitude I fully anticipate her to not be a bump but I have been pushing her to try and retire at age 40 and enjoy her life. But I have no idea at what age she plans on doing that. I am just thankful she has that attitude! :cool:

They lacked discipline.

Okay now you are just trolling. Anyone who by that age has saved that amount of money doesn't lack discipline. Now you are being silly and/or sarcastic. Interesting that you haven't ever posted your numbers to allow us to see how disciplined you are. Mine are available if you do a search of my profile.

My grade school bff's husband retired at 30 after selling a small tech startup for big bux. She continued to work because she chose to. They are a "split the bills" kind of household so she wasn't supporting him - he paid 1/2 of all expenses. They choose to live in a small cottage in the Berkeley hills rather than a larger house. They chose not to have kids. My friend retired, herself, a few years ago and now daytrades as a hobby.

He earned his money. He retired young. Was he too young? She earned her money - she retired youngish (sub 55)... was she early retired even though she retired 2 decades after her husband. He does stuff - just not for income and 100% on his own terms.

As far as my kids... I have no problem if they can fund themselves at age 20 and decide not to work for income anymore. I don't see it happening, but if it does - more power to them. I don't want them being dependent on anyone else (government, me) and if they can achieve it without a paid job - awesome. Too much to explore and see and do - they could surf around the world, they could volunteer and make a difference... as long as they aren't sponging off someone else - I'm good.

I would be fine with it--if she had saved enough money by then to retire, hell she wouldn't be a bump. Your grandfather sounds like he inherited his fortune, the couple in this story earned their money, so it isn't a fair comparison.

I fully anticipate my daughter retiring early, she has seen me and her mom do it and even now at age 20 she has 4 years in her ROTH account and has learned to live off 75% of her take home pay. So given her young age and her living below means attitude I fully anticipate her to not be a bump but I have been pushing her to try and retire at age 40 and enjoy her life. But I have no idea at what age she plans on doing that. I am just thankful she has that attitude! :cool:

I fully anticipate my daughters will work and earn lots of money, but then they will be like Warren Buffet, donate them. In fact one is already doing that.

35. Old enough to be President of the US. Plenty of years of life to have stepped in dog poop, wiped it off, and lived to tell the story.

And I'm 35 so I want to make sure I'm over the cut off.

Sorry, it ranges from 39 to 61. Wish people would start reading the rules memos.

Okay now you are just trolling. Anyone who by that age has saved that amount of money doesn't lack discipline. Now you are being silly and/or sarcastic. Interesting that you haven't ever posted your numbers to allow us to see how disciplined you are. Mine are available if you do a search of my profile.

Maybe if this couple had read "the millionaire next door" they would understand what real discipline is.

Discipline is working through those highs and lows everyone experiences in a working career.

If I decide to throw a blog out there I will show you my numbers.lol

Maybe if this couple had read "the millionaire next door" they would understand what real discipline is.

Discipline is working through those highs and lows everyone experiences in a working career.

If I decide to throw a blog out there I will show you my numbers.lol

I am not really trying to bust your chops here...well not too much anyways.

But playing devils advocate here--aren't they much more disciplined then you (or me)? I assume you are in your late 40's or 50's? I am 56 now retired at 55. If I was as disciplined as this young couple I could have retired at a much younger age, and maybe you would be retired by now too! Maybe we better re-read that book! :cool:

But it was all hubris.

You're just being polite right? The word I see thrown about in news stories is fraud. Although, I suppose hubris could be a powerful motivator for fraud.

Exactly. But more importantly, I think they give up on life. Ok fine that they don't like engineering, but do something that they like.

Give up on life? Because they decided to change the way they live?

I am not really trying to bust your chops here...well not too much anyways.

But playing devils advocate here--aren't they much more disciplined then you (or me)? I assume you are in your late 40's or 50's? I am 56 now retired at 55. If I was as disciplined as this young couple I could have retired at a much younger age, and maybe you would be retired by now too! Maybe we better re-read that book! :cool:

I like my job.

My oldest son got his masters in analytics, and right out of the chute he was making $100k. Luckily, he decided that toys may be fun, but they break and when you are his age, they can be very expensive! He is saving about 50% of his net pay (LBYM, but not as far as I would like), and he would like to "retire" from analytics shortly after turning 30 and do something "worthwhile". I believe that marriage (he has a SO that will likely lead to something permanent) and kids (he wants them and she really wants them) will postpone his "retirement" from analytics, but at his savings rate, 35 would be an easy age to walk away and do some much lower pay non-profit work. Is that "retirement" or a job change, I don't know how Purplesky would treat it, but to me, the fact that he will have the choice to leave the high pay, high stress job to go to a lower pay and stress position when he doesn't need the $ to live sounds like retirement to me.
He is 26, so definitely fits the millennial.

Now if kids come along, he will be working for a while longer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom