Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #301
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
LOL - It sounds like they are. They like travelling with Bruno.

I am curious - what is the cutoff for "OK" to be retired? 40? 50? What about 39?

I'm asking this as an intellectual exercise.... I assume my retirement age (52) met the approved range for ER. As others have mentioned - this is the **EARLY** retirement forum. I thought we were supportive of people wanting to retire early. But apparently there is some magic age that makes it ok vs too early.

Now the FI side of FIRE.... I agree they cut it closer than I would.... but most people here are saying they aren't retired (vs FI)... and seem to be focusing on their age, saying they haven't worked enough.

So - what is the magic age? I think we should decide and then put it in the FAQ's about ER thread.
If they hadn't purchased that house with some of that $1 million they might have pulled early retirement off.

Work 2 more years and pay cash for a killer house. But no they saw a unicorn.

or probably going back to work was really part of the plan.

I say at any age below age 40 with 2 million free and clear to live off for life would qualify early retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

didn't we have a pole about how early is early?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #303
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Ask your self this question? If both of your boys want to retire at 20 do you agree with their decisions.
I would be fine with it--if she had saved enough money by then to retire, hell she wouldn't be a bump. Your grandfather sounds like he inherited his fortune, the couple in this story earned their money, so it isn't a fair comparison.

I fully anticipate my daughter retiring early, she has seen me and her mom do it and even now at age 20 she has 4 years in her ROTH account and has learned to live off 75% of her take home pay. So given her young age and her living below means attitude I fully anticipate her to not be a bump but I have been pushing her to try and retire at age 40 and enjoy her life. But I have no idea at what age she plans on doing that. I am just thankful she has that attitude!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #304
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
They lacked discipline.
Okay now you are just trolling. Anyone who by that age has saved that amount of money doesn't lack discipline. Now you are being silly and/or sarcastic. Interesting that you haven't ever posted your numbers to allow us to see how disciplined you are. Mine are available if you do a search of my profile.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #305

My grade school bff's husband retired at 30 after selling a small tech startup for big bux. She continued to work because she chose to. They are a "split the bills" kind of household so she wasn't supporting him - he paid 1/2 of all expenses. They choose to live in a small cottage in the Berkeley hills rather than a larger house. They chose not to have kids. My friend retired, herself, a few years ago and now daytrades as a hobby.

He earned his money. He retired young. Was he too young? She earned her money - she retired youngish (sub 55)... was she early retired even though she retired 2 decades after her husband. He does stuff - just not for income and 100% on his own terms.

As far as my kids... I have no problem if they can fund themselves at age 20 and decide not to work for income anymore. I don't see it happening, but if it does - more power to them. I don't want them being dependent on anyone else (government, me) and if they can achieve it without a paid job - awesome. Too much to explore and see and do - they could surf around the world, they could volunteer and make a difference... as long as they aren't sponging off someone else - I'm good.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #306
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
59.5 is the big cutoff for me -- no longer feeling very "early "- even government allows penalty free access to retirement money. So not early.
The average retirement age in most OECD countries is between 58 and 73. USA is around 65.

So 59.5 is still earlier than most. FWIW ..

[Edit] Linky: http://www.oecd.org/els/emp/ageingan...retirement.htm
Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
I would be fine with it--if she had saved enough money by then to retire, hell she wouldn't be a bump. Your grandfather sounds like he inherited his fortune, the couple in this story earned their money, so it isn't a fair comparison.

I fully anticipate my daughter retiring early, she has seen me and her mom do it and even now at age 20 she has 4 years in her ROTH account and has learned to live off 75% of her take home pay. So given her young age and her living below means attitude I fully anticipate her to not be a bump but I have been pushing her to try and retire at age 40 and enjoy her life. But I have no idea at what age she plans on doing that. I am just thankful she has that attitude!
I fully anticipate my daughters will work and earn lots of money, but then they will be like Warren Buffet, donate them. In fact one is already doing that.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
35. Old enough to be President of the US. Plenty of years of life to have stepped in dog poop, wiped it off, and lived to tell the story.

And I'm 35 so I want to make sure I'm over the cut off.

Sorry, it ranges from 39 to 61. Wish people would start reading the rules memos.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #309

Quote:
Okay now you are just trolling. Anyone who by that age has saved that amount of money doesn't lack discipline. Now you are being silly and/or sarcastic. Interesting that you haven't ever posted your numbers to allow us to see how disciplined you are. Mine are available if you do a search of my profile.
Maybe if this couple had read "the millionaire next door" they would understand what real discipline is.

Discipline is working through those highs and lows everyone experiences in a working career.

If I decide to throw a blog out there I will show you my numbers.lol
Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #310
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Discipline is working through those highs and lows everyone experiences in a working career.
But aren't they still in their working careers since they write a blog?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #311
Give me a forum ...

https://youtu.be/lj60OAh7O5U
Cool Hand Luke, as always, has the answer.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #312
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Maybe if this couple had read "the millionaire next door" they would understand what real discipline is.

If I decide to throw a blog out there I will show you my numbers.lol
I am not really trying to bust your chops here...well not too much anyways.

But playing devils advocate here--aren't they much more disciplined then you (or me)? I assume you are in your late 40's or 50's? I am 56 now retired at 55. If I was as disciplined as this young couple I could have retired at a much younger age, and maybe you would be retired by now too! Maybe we better re-read that book!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
But it was all hubris.
You're just being polite right? The word I see thrown about in news stories is fraud. Although, I suppose hubris could be a powerful motivator for fraud.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Exactly. But more importantly, I think they give up on life. Ok fine that they don't like engineering, but do something that they like.
Give up on life? Because they decided to change the way they live?
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
But aren't they still in their working careers since they write a blog?
No they sleep in a car.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #316
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
No they sleep in a car.
You mean when they're not sleeping in their $270k home that they own mortgage-free.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #317

Quote:
I am not really trying to bust your chops here...well not too much anyways.

But playing devils advocate here--aren't they much more disciplined then you (or me)? I assume you are in your late 40's or 50's? I am 56 now retired at 55. If I was as disciplined as this young couple I could have retired at a much younger age, and maybe you would be retired by now too! Maybe we better re-read that book!
I like my job.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
You mean when they're not sleeping in their $270k home that they own mortgage-free.
On 25k. I'll pass
Old 06-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #319
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I like my job.
They didn't
Old 06-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Give up on life? Because they decided to change the way they live?
What do you call homeless people then? They also decided to change the way they live.
Closed Thread