Cool FIRE article in MSN Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not really trying to bust your chops here...well not too much anyways.

But playing devils advocate here--aren't they much more disciplined then you (or me)? I assume you are in your late 40's or 50's? I am 56 now retired at 55. If I was as disciplined as this young couple I could have retired at a much younger age, and maybe you would be retired by now too! Maybe we better re-read that book! :cool smiley:

We didn't quit our high paying careers at age 30 to be fake retired Blogtirement celebs. :LOL:

The real discipline is being a long term investor. I don't remember people building wealth in 10 years in that book and retiring with 25k a year in income at age 30.

So you are way more disciplined than they are because you kept working and retired for real at age 55.;) 55 is young. Give yourself more credit.

The MSN article is about their life(not mine) and they wanted the blog publicity and they got it.:LOL:

Yes that is true. Again "I" wouldn't do what they did, but I have several friends who wouldn't do what I did--retire at age 55. I could have doubled my portfolio by age 65. But I have enough, and OMY wasn't in my cards as I enjoy my time not working and stressing. My father just celebrated his 90th birthday and his brother died a couple of years ago at age 96--so longevity runs in the family, so 35-40 years is a long time to be retired.

It is a risk I am willing to take, and obviously they are willing to take the risk they have started. Will they be successful? Will "I" be successful? Will 'you' be successful or die at your desk? Who knows--it all is a risk, and in the end all you can do is go with your own comfort level. But I agree life is rough but you deal with it within your comfort zone. This clearly isn't in your comfort zone, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with their position.

They must have had a very weak comfort zone while working in their high paying professional careers. Lots of stressful situations and people yelling in their face.

Good to get out before you crash and burn in your early 30s.:D

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1465004655.649442.jpg

They must have had a very weak comfort zone while working in their high paying professional careers. Lots of stressful situations and people yelling in their face.

Good to get out before you crash and burn in your early 30s.:D

I now have sometime to read the article. They moved from a high cost area to a low cost area. They are not sure they are not going back to work yet, my bet is they will because they expect the rate of return to their investment is 7%. But for the sake of promoting their blog, they say they are retired.

But their total income is $200K per couple in the Bay Area is not considered high paying careers. It maybe to the rest of countries, but not for Bay Area, and not for engineers.

BTW, The most stressful situation I've worked is with an aerospace/defense company, while clueless people like to shout and make work a stressful situation, but rarely in Silicon Valley. Same with job security. It's mostly base on your skill set.

Last edited:
We didn't quit our high paying careers at age 30 to be fake retired Blogtirement celebs. :LOL:

The real discipline is being a long term investor. I don't remember people building wealth in 10 years in that book and retiring with 25k a year in income at age 30.

So you are way more disciplined than they are because you kept working and retired for real at age 55.;) 55 is young. Give yourself more credit.

The MSN article is about their life(not mine) and they wanted the blog publicity and they got it.:LOL:

Well said

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've seen it all now. These guys are homeless in spite of owning a $270k home and having $670k of liquid investments.

My home is well below $200k and factoring in my kids I have less per capita than the FreedomwithBruno folks, so I'm not sure what kind of reprobate cretin that makes me. I am fortunate to have ample time in my destitute homelessness to ponder these deep questions (from inside my 4 bedroom house).

Life gets tougher every day here.

I will say that the tone of the forum has changed a bit since the 6 years I've been here. A little more scolding, and less "live and let live."

But I think this thread has stoked so much fire because of real or perceived disingenuous acts.

As for you FUEGO, you've shared enough here with us that you don't give off those vibes. You come across as more authentic. Maybe for me it is because we both live in Raleigh, and we've shared some stuff about the city that rings true. I don't know, but despite your fire name, you come across as not blowing smoke.

The difference is that Fuego is HONEST with his information and doesn't try to blow smoke on his blog either.

He shares readily that his wife was working until recently.

He is forthright with the blog generating income.

And he admits a solid strategy around collecting legally provided subsidies and strategic default of debt..

Plus he is and had been doing it - validated / living proof - it doesn't get more real and credible that that.

Acting as big brothers and sisters here, i think many of us would also consider Fuego's financial situation to be closer to the razor's edge than we would probably be comfortable with if he were to anonymously appear in "hi I'm..." Section. That's the nature of this group. We would offer suggestions etc. But some do choose to be more risky and that's ok too. With youth comes higher risk taking usually.

Lastly- Credibility is hugely important - especially when "I read it on the internet" - So, as a new generation comes to the forefront, society at all levels are collectively testing what a new / digital credibility paradigm might be. There is little fact checking by writers now days aside a cursory Google search. Credibility and validation is largely left with the reader to handle to test and to find the holes...

That's what we did with Bruno
That's what we did with $400 Atlantic
That's what we did with MMM

Etc....

This is a far more financially savvy (and possibly educated) forum than most.

Last edited:
I now have sometime to read the article. They moved from a high cost area to a low cost area. They are not sure they are not going back to work yet, my bet is they will because they expect the rate of return to their investment is 7%. But for the sake of promoting their blog, they say they are retired.

But their total income is $200K per couple in the Bay Area is not considered high paying careers. It maybe to the rest of countries, but not for Bay Area, and not for engineers.

BTW, The most stressful situation I've worked is with an aerospace/defense company, while clueless people like to shout and make work a stressful situation, but rarely in Silicon Valley. Same with job security. It's mostly base on your skill set.

If you can save $1 million free and clear by age 30 with much of that being take-home pay while experiencing a quarter life crisis it doesn't matter where you live in the United States. Thats great income and they did a great job saving that much money.

The difference is that Fuego is HONEST with his information and doesn't try to blow smoke on his blog either.

He shares readily that his wife was working until recently.

He is forthright with the blog generating income.

And he admits a solid strategy around collecting legally provided subsidies and strategic default of debt..

Plus he is and had been doing it - validated / living proof - it doesn't get more real and credible that that.

Acting as big brothers and sisters here, i think many of us would also consider Fuego's financial situation to be closer to the razor's edge than we would probably be comfortable with if he were to anonymously appear in "hi I'm..." Section. That's the nature of this group. We would offer suggestions etc. But some do choose to be more risky and that's ok too. With youth comes higher risk taking usually.

Lastly- Credibility is hugely important - especially when "I read it on the internet" - So, as a new generation comes to the forefront, society at all levels are collectively testing what a new / digital credibility paradigm might be. There is little fact checking by writers now days aside a cursory Google search. Credibility and validation is largely left with the reader to handle to test and to find the holes...

That's what we did with Bruno
That's what we did with $400 Atlantic
That's what we did with MMM

Etc....

This is a far more financially savvy (and possibly educated) forum than most.

Its a Good thing the hunter-gatherer generation didn't have Mr. money mustache. :LOL:

The Mustachianism cult is very positive in many ways but it seems to promote this idea that you are a big loser if you work an actual "real" job.

So pilots and cops and teachers and lawyers and doctors, etc. are wasting their life away by working more than 10.9 years in their careers.

Every time I go to the MMM website I quickly remind myself that this guy now makes big money off his website selling this idea of Mustachian living.

I find it hard to believe that Mr. money mustache and his family really live on just 24k a year. Travel 3 months a year. That is pure magic.

More power to the guy and his cult of followers. But I like my $350.00 dryer from Lowes. How the heck would I get the wrinkles out of my cloths if I hung them outside to dry on a wire. :LOL:

I didn't even know MMM existed before here. I looked once. Once was enough - :)

The Mustachianism cult is very positive in many ways but it seems to promote this idea that you are a big loser if you work an actual "real" job.

So pilots and cops and teachers and lawyers and doctors, etc. are wasting their life away by working more than 10.9 years in their careers.

Every time I go to the MMM website I quickly remind myself that this guy now makes big money off his website selling this idea of Mustachian living.

You know you just nailed it why I was kind of starting to dislike MMM blog and his 'cult vibe' though I never really followed it.
It feels as if if you don't follow his path of getting a well paid job, saving like crazy for 10 years, and quitting to start another career, then you're dumb as you work for another man (or company). He's an entrepreneur, but not everybody is. I hope his 'cult' followers have exactly his spirit and don't feel pressure reading his writings and feel that they MUST quit their jobs just because they feel dissatisfied once a month or so. But yes, I agree with MMM's message about not buying unnecessary stuff if they bring short-lived happiness. BTW, one of his recent articles was about Tesla, but I couldn't interpret if he was for having that 'toy' or not.

I will say that the tone of the forum has changed a bit since the 6 years I've been here. A little more scolding, and less "live and let live."

Yup. A major reason I drop by less and less.

A big +1 here too.

As I said before, it's not the disagreements and alternate opinions I mind at all - in fact, I enjoy them. However, most of the time here, there is spirited and intelligent discussion and criticism without the insults and negative characterizations. Not much we can do about it I suppose, but I do like the wording in the meme that Sarah posted earlier,

"Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter"

There is a way to intelligently and respectfully critique others. I sure hope we can all get back to doing just that.

Yeah, this is way more negative than the tone usually is on the forum. I've been reading for years (I just don't post much). Hell, the original retire early forum back on the Motely Fool website in the 90s was more positive than this thread too. :p

Maybe as we are collectively aging, we are getting grumpy. :wiseone:

Perhaps not just getting grumpy. Experience teaches much.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Any question asked or issue raised that does not fit the very narrow groupthink gets carpet bombed generally starting within the first dozen posts. That sound like experience? The "truth?" Or just walking rectum tribal behavior?

Any question asked or issue raised that does not fit the very narrow groupthink gets carpet bombed generally starting within the first dozen posts. That sound like experience? The "truth?" Or just walking rectum tribal behavior?

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. That's why I didn't say anything

+1. The reason most large projects, those requiring many man years of project scheduling, failed at my last job was due to irrational optimism.

Last edited:

lol, my entire life I've been the "odd duck". I'm the girl who had "purple" hair waaay before it was cool, I was the Harlem gal that LOVED crosby, stills and nash as opposed to the temptations so in general I live in a bomb proof virtual vest.

but I also accept the sandbox I'm playing in. i understand that in this playground spending money on luxury items is wasteful but dropping gabillions on travel is acceptable. :LOL:

but i enjoy chatting and I know that there are many ways to define ER

But not if you pay 3X for first class. That's wasteful.

And wasteful is a judgement.

That's the bottom line eh? Judgement.

A few good men ....

It didn't end well for him either.

More than ever it appears discussion is attempted to be brought down by either calling the person that disagrees a “hater” or else just plain mean as the the image employed here suggests. There was an article on Zero Hedge discussing this very topic and how the Bernie Madoff’s and Elizabeth Holmes of the world count on using this very tactic to prevent any light being shed on their methods. Without a willingness to meaningfully discuss specifics and methods used and results obtained, the internet filler of platitudes for having the foresight to ask for raises and bonuses as a means to early retirement gets posted as sound financial advice.

There are financial questions I have with the couple and the “image” they portray in the article and in their blog in regards to the numbers they portray.

1) In their discussion of taxes paid they do not list social security or medicare taxes, did they pay that in their saving years? The balances for Mint are presented in a manner as if they were audited statements from PWC and any questions of how this was done is an improper inquiry by lessors that the savers do not have time to detail.

2) They list as paying no income taxes as their goal in retirement and state how they are going to turn 80K in ROTH IRA money into tax free withdrawals by 20K per year, though they can only use “original” contributions. Their own supplied savings records suggest that 50-60% of all their savings is from investing gains which would only leave 35-40K to withdraw from this or less than 2 years, so there seems a disconnect there. Or perhaps they just got lucky and the whole 80K is their contributions as this was the only account that didn’t soar in the past 3 years and so they will have enough for the next 4 years (how great is that the numbers just work out for the 4 years they needed) when the rollovers begin in the fifth year.

3) They show no dividend income despite having 500K in aftertax money. How are they avoiding that? Dividend income in VTI would be 10K per year and would either undercut the ROTH IRA conversion or make them pay taxes. I didn’t read a whole lot of their articles so perhaps they discussed this elsewhere.

4) They do not show any blog income, Airbnb income or rental income in their projections for managing their finances to the dollar in order to obtain maximum health care paid by the government when they hold income under 31.4K which they declare as the holy grail of retirement health care. Figuring 10K annually for their blog, which is likely light, and rentals from their house this makes the tax assumptions needed a nice article to post and I assume just like their mentor MMM the blog is actually just a “persona” to allow them to show how it “could” be done not actually done. I assume myself that the 400K annually that MMM makes does effect his health care costs and as they are obviously just running with a redo of MMM the same is happening here. Really it doesn’t matter at all other than to invalidate the very methods they claim to be able to use to finance their retirement. Saying blog income and rentals help pay the extra fees for health care is not as clickable as zero taxes and free health care.

5) Finance magazines need articles and clever titles to get eyeballs and bloggers are happy to supply a summary of their blog to drive the traffic they need and bloggers will defend other bloggers in order to get the cross pollination necessary to continue this internet sport of financial clicks. This is how the celebrity game everywhere is played not only on blogging but from politics to sports as well as financial bloggers. Pre internet these people were referred to as “free-lance writers” and could make a decent living writing out of their homes. See Jack Nicholson in “As Good as It Gets” an apt movie title for the lifestyle desired and provided for these and many other young couples.

I do not care at all what these bloggers do, they are free to do whatever they want, I don’t read blogs of this type because the articles are so soft and devoid of any actual financial help or truthful presentation I cannot rely on anything therefore of what is posted in the blog.

The entire point of the original posting of this article appears to be to comment on the comments in the article. I guess just coming down to Haters versus Baiters, I must admit I did not read a single one, do people really go through comments on blogs? People posting inaccurate or obnoxious comments in reference to a blog has absolutely no value in determining if the blog itself is of any value or not. I did not read the blog at first because of the description: "The article is decent... nothing amazing... the COMMENTS are gold” . But when I saw this had gotten to 17 pages thought I would look at the blog and it is what I thought an MMM clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom