Corn, the next Silver

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here is a bit on why we all need to get into corn....$12 a bushel, wow I'm there:rolleyes:. The three guys could as well be selling "Rolex" watches on a street corner. Market timing commodities is about as far from my investment strategy as you could get. What do you think?

If You Missed Silver, Corn Could Be Next - Yahoo! Finance

That's right. The Reformed Broker Josh Brown says if the planets align correctly and a few other variables kick in, then the amazing beast that is corn could deliver another 60% upside.
Sounds like a sure thing. Where do I sign up?

DD

I might have to look into this. Wonder if corn will store as well as my silver has. :ROFLMAO:

Held DBA but sold it a short while back. Me thinks commodities could be affected by QEII, so am holding off adding to my position until after June.

You do, when you buy groceries;).........

Or buy gasohol at the pumps.

I'm more concerned about barley prices as I brew beer. After the great hop scare a few years ago I planted my own so I have that covered. Growing and malting my own barley is a bit more complicated though.

DD

Or buy gasohol at the pumps.

I'm more concerned about barley prices as I brew beer. After the great hop scare a few years ago I planted my own so I have that covered. Growing and malting my own barley is a bit more complicated though.

DD

One of the things you figure out after a bit of experinmentation is that you can get an amazingly wide variety of things to ferment (even heard about a mountain dew-based mead someone made).

While they may or may not be correct, even if they are, it's much harder for the average punter to invest in corn (comapred to silver) - it's bulky, difficult to store, perishable and the products I've seen which are linked to corn prices (futures, options, ETCs) all have issues which make them less attractive as investments (at least to me). If there is something available which allows investing in individual commodities on terms which offer similar economics to paper silver, I'd (possibly) be interested.

One traditional way to "invest" in corn was to buy companies that supply farmers. They tended to rise with corn prices. One of these reported today.

Fertilizer producer POT posted record Q1 earnings and beat analyst estimates (slightly) and raised annual guidance. Result, its PPS dropped 3%. It is now selling at about 2/3 of its historical high.

If corn prices rise to the $12 suggested in the link, any company that services farmers (ie. POT, MOS, AGU, ADM, CNH, DE, CAT etc. or for you indexers, MOO) usually make a fine substitute for corn. See above for the unusual.

Mileage varies with drivers etc, etc, etc.

That $12 number is pretty astounding. In 2008, by the time I was docked basis, drying, and storage, I was selling corn with a 2 in front of it.

One of the things you figure out after a bit of experinmentation is that you can get an amazingly wide variety of things to ferment (even heard about a mountain dew-based mead someone made).

I think tool using and the ability to ferment an alcoholic beverage from whatever is at hand are the 2 things that separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

DD

Back
Top Bottom