Corporate games and my 401k....

It is mission impossible for your contributions to hit your account the day you get paid. I think some of you need a reality check. Even with online transfer, we have to submit the file, it has to come back as verified, we then have to submit payment, which if after a certain does not process the same day. The funds do not necessarily transfer to the recipient's account the same day either.

DM
You seem to have far more knowledge about the process than I do, but I have to take major exception to this statement.....is it REALLY unrealistic for an employee to expect a quick and accurate execution of these transfers on payday? Everyone I know expects thier Direct Deposit to hit thier checking accounts ON TIME. Some of us work within payroll systems that lag by several days from the actual pay period end date already. My mega-corp employer HR dept has been absolutely fantastic at getting my funds into my 401k as well as Direct Deposits into checking accounts at two different banks on time every payday. I can't recall ever having a problem in almost 30 years...so I KNOW it CAN be done. At the very least, the system should be consistent and reliable......OK, so call me spoiled!

DM
Over two weeks late is hardly what I would call timely. And you know... if it was always (give or take a day) two weeks, I would be fine with that as well. It is the eratic and haphazzard nature of it that I have a problem with. Futhermore, I consider my 401k part of my paycheck (it IS part of my paycheck), and as such, I expect it to be paid to me in a timely manner. If any other part of my paycheck was late, missing, had to wait a week or so for, that would be be a reason to go to HR, but not for the 401k? As I stated in other posts, I expect a certain minimum from people, and from the company that I work for. One of the things that I expect, is to be paid on time. Should I show up to work in a non-timely fashion? Perhaps only 30 hours this week instead of 40. Maybe I should switch my hours around and come in later (not a morning person)? I am not here to be loved, nor do I view my place of employment as my family. I try to be as pleasent as I can to everyone, and I am friendly to everyone. But if at any time my employer forgets why I am here, then they need to be reminded. Not in a nasty vindictive way.... but certainly in an assertive manner.
To be honest, I knew I was in trouble at this place from the first month I joined in. As part of my hiring agreement, I was offered a signing bonus after completing 30 days. The first month came and went, and that bonus was not present in my paycheck. I even gave them them another week without saying anything to get their act together. After that... I had to go to HR and actually chase "my own money"! This is not the proper way to conduct a business. It was interesting to note that HR was fairly unconcerned, but the Director of Engineering here (bosses...bosses..boss) got wind of it... and was fuming. I think it is always neccessary to be nice and pleasent to everyone in a business setting, but at the same time you need to never loose your focus on what is important, and what is not.

Back
Top Bottom