Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
What definition of "earned income" are you using? And again they are "getting" the income. I'm expecting we'll hear about "winners of life's lottery" next.

I think it's charming that the writers of our tax laws and the IRS apparently believe that someone who puts his money at risk in an investment or who buys, fixes up, and sells a property didn't "earn" the resultant gains.
If you put your hand on the hammer its earned. If you sit on your yacht while someone else uses the hammer, it's unearned.. Not too hard to understand there is a difference
__________________

__________________
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.
MuirWannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
If you put your hand on the hammer its earned. If you sit on your yacht while someone else uses the hammer, it's unearned.. Not too hard to understand there is a difference
Ridculous. And now all 'rich' taxpayers apparently sit on yachts. Class envy plain and simple.

'Poor' people use hammers and 'earn' their money so they should not have to pay anything in taxes. 'Rich' people sit on yachts and 'get' their money so they should have to pay all the taxes.

Up is down. Left is right. Wrong is right. Makes no common sense.
__________________

__________________
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir
MuirWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Ridculous. And now all 'rich' taxpayers apparently sit on yachts. Class envy plain and simple.

'Poor' people use hammers and 'earn' their money so they should not have to pay anything in taxes. 'Rich' people sit on yachts and 'get' their money so they should have to pay all the taxes.

Up is down. Left is right. Wrong is right. Makes no common sense.
Not what I said, but nothing like a good rant. I simply pointed out the difference.
In the earlier post I pointed out that many poor people have unearned income also. But owning a sports team is not the same thing as plying on the field.
Sitting on a chair watching someone work is not the same as working
__________________
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.
MuirWannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Not what I said, but nothing like a good rant. I simply pointed out the difference.
In the earlier post I pointed out that many poor people have unearned income also. But owning a sports team is not the same thing as plying on the field.
Sitting on a chair watching someone work is not the same as working
Well, apparently I'm a 'rich' person who pays taxes so hopefully that gives me a right to rant. I'd keep on ranting but I'm headed for a cruise on my yacht after a long day of sitting in my chair watching people work.
__________________
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir
MuirWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
The person who buys the hammer for the worker and thereby benefits the worker and society--didn't "earn" his/her money.
"Earned income" being produced


**************************************

"We Smite the Lazy"--with our hammers!
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The person who buys the hammer for the worker and thereby benefits the worker and society--didn't "earn" his/her money.
"Earned income" being produced


**************************************

"We Smite the Lazy"--with our hammers!
If it can be done by a trust, i.e. a juridical person, it's not earned income.
__________________
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
If you put your hand on the hammer its earned. If you sit on your yacht while someone else uses the hammer, it's unearned.. Not too hard to understand there is a difference
Or, if you lecture at university about people who manufacture widgets, your income is unearned. If you make widgets, your income is earned.

Isn't that how it goes? Those that talk about it earn nothing. Those that do it earn.
__________________
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Or, if you lecture at university about people who manufacture widgets, your income is unearned. If you make widgets, your income is earned.

Isn't that how it goes? Those that talk about it earn nothing. Those that do it earn.
No , Actors, singers ,lawyers, professors,consultants, stockbrokers , real estate agents etc earn their money by talking.

Trusts cannot do these things. A trust can invest money. .

A trust cann
__________________
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
No , Actors, singers ,lawyers, professors,consultants, stockbrokers , real estate agents etc earn their money by talking.
You're close but need to remove "professors" from the list. They need to stop talking about it and start doing it if their income is going to be "earned."
__________________
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,643
Just stopped back by and see the arguments are becoming a tad ad hominem. That tends to close minds.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #111
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You're close but need to remove "professors" from the list. They need to stop talking about it and start doing it if their income is going to be "earned."
C'mon guys - if the government calls it "earned income" it's earned income. The difference between types of jobs is not germane here. IMHO, of course.
__________________

__________________
Retired July 2, 2010 at 62. My only regret is that I couldn't do it sooner.
thinker25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Push or Pull Retirements Rich_by_the_Bay Life after FIRE 46 10-08-2009 02:42 AM
Assistance re Military Retirements Benefits for Spouses Charlie_Boy FIRE and Money 6 08-30-2009 01:58 PM
MyNextPhase.com's review of three celebrity "retirements" Nords Life after FIRE 1 10-03-2008 05:07 PM
Corporate Tax Rustic23 Other topics 5 12-13-2007 07:53 AM
2006 Retirements REWahoo Other topics 21 01-05-2007 07:56 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.