Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whenever I start taking the doomsters too seriously I remember what this fellow had to say during practically my entire adult life. Granville Says Dow Industrial May Drop Toward 8,000 in 2012 - Bloomberg

If I had paid attention to him I would still be working
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are you suggesting my asteroid needs fixing?
The have some good surgeries available, methinks.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
I also took advantage of the big corrections and bought at those times, but that was when I was working. For most people in ER, they do not have free cash waiting on the sideline to put in, and the bear roam is not longer a buying opportunity but a stress test of your reserve. ( Hence that thread of how much cash to hold is useful, so you can ride out the bear market instead of selling in that environment to a Gen Xer, who then boasts how he benefited by buying at a discount.)
Ummm, that is why you want to hold other asset classes besides equities, hopefully relatively uncorrelated.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Here, here!
rembrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Ummm, that is why you want to hold other asset classes besides equities, hopefully relatively uncorrelated.
My comment was not about asset allocation, but to address the point, previously, for some people in the accumulative phase, a bear market may be a buying opportunity, but that is not true for many who are in ER.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My comment was not about asset allocation, but to address the point, previously, for some people in the accumulative phase, a bear market may be a buying opportunity, but that is not true for many who are in ER.
The hell it isn't true! Stocks plunge, other stuff in your portfolio stays flattish or actually goes up: buying opportunity! Sell the stuff that did better (on the margin at least) and buy more of what plunged. Voila, buying opportunity for the retired.

Of course, if you don't want to hold a well diversified portfolio you can always check out some of the squirrel recipes I have posted in the ER Forum Cookbook thread...

- George Orwell

Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also took advantage of the big corrections and bought at those times, but that was when I was working. For most people in ER, they do not have free cash waiting on the sideline to put in, and the bear roam is not longer a buying opportunity but a stress test of your reserve. ( Hence that thread of how much cash to hold is useful, so you can ride out the bear market instead of selling in that environment to a Gen Xer, who then boasts how he benefited by buying at a discount.)
I was ER'd in 1999, which meant I got through the dot-com bust, (there was also a 2002 credit crisis which caused the worst of the 2002 bear), 9/11, the 2008 market meltdown and financial crisis, and the recent European panics. Cash is part of my asset allocation, and during those times that some of it was deployed to buy depressed assets. There is no reason that ER folks can't take advantage of buying opportunities.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand completely. I retired in 2005 and 'enjoyed' the stress test of 2008 from the no-longer-have-a-job side. It wasn't pleasant but those of us who had a couple of years of cash, who didn't panic and who didn't sell came through OK.

I'm expecting to hear 'next time will be different', and for all I know it could be. But I'm not willing to bet against history and I plan on maintaining my AA for the foreseeable future. I'm not smart enough to know whether I should zig or zag so I'll hold what I've got - and keep an eye out for asteroids.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

You ever wonder why fund managers can't beat the S&P 500? Because they're sheep, and sheep get slaughtered.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
You ever wonder why fund managers can't beat the S&P 500? Because they're sheep, and sheep get slaughtered.
And that applies to this discussion...how?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #131

Quote:
The hell it isn't true! Stocks plunge, other stuff in your portfolio stays flattish or actually goes up: buying opportunity! Sell the stuff that did better (on the margin at least) and buy more of what plunged. Voila, buying opportunity for the retired.

Of course, if you don't want to hold a well diversified portfolio you can always check out some of the squirrel recipes I have posted in the ER Forum Cookbook thread...
I guess "catching a falling knife" must never be true. I admire your sense of omnipotence in stock picking.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And that applies to this discussion...how?
Do you think it's one of those programs that randomly generate pithy sayings? Sayings that appear to be clever or profound on the surface but upon closer examination are found to be nonsensical? This one seems to have a definite financial spin.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of it's forms - greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind, and greed - you mark my words - will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you. Gordon Gekko
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hahahaha! Good one! How about <insert cliche #1602>? Isn't that hysterical?

- George Orwell

Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of it's forms - greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind, and greed - you mark my words - will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you. Gordon Gekko
Hey, wow, generates speeches too! Impressive!

Oh, wait, I think that was lifted from a movie.....
Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess "catching a falling knife" must never be true. I admire your sense of omnipotence in stock picking.
Nope, I make mistakes with depressing regularity. I was actually talking about an index portfolio, however.

- George Orwell

Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Please get a grip. You are wound too tight. Don't take the world seriously, or you surely will get burned.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #138

Quote:
Nope, I make mistakes with depressing regularity. I was actually talking about an index portfolio, however.
I am not disagreeing with you at all. I am also for investing for the long term, I hold index funds and some active-managed funds like Wellington and Wellesley. I am not smart enough to be a market timer. My original point was " do not to take the latest bull run as the norm for the future ", there will be corrections and secular bear markets, asset allocation, flexibility and an adequate cushion to ride out the bad time are important.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My original point was " do not to take the latest bull run as the norm for the future ", there will be corrections and secular bear markets, asset allocation, flexibility and an adequate cushion to ride out the bad time are important.
Sounds reasonable to me.

- George Orwell

Program
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hey, wow, generates speeches too! Impressive!

Oh, wait, I think that was lifted from a movie.....
This program generates quotes for people with no sense of humor.