Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perpetually Out of Step

Quote:
Mutual fund flows suggest that investors are finally returning to equities, after selling in droves over the past several years. This article summarizes the issue:
From April 2009 through now, mutual-fund investors sold a quarter trillion dollars in stock funds, according to recent data from the Investment Company Institute.
Ironically, that selloff coincided with a period of stellar performance in stocks—when the Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped more than 60%.
Ouch. Mutual fund investors have been busily pulling money out of equities even as the market has risen 60%. And now investors are returning to the equity market and buying shares at a hefty premium to what they could have purchased them for if they had invested consistently over the last several years.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

The retail rubes are always a day late and a dollar short. I will be quite happy to sell equities to them in the future at inflated prices.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Retail Investors
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #143
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retail Investors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And your point is that now that everyone is buying stocks, now is the time to get out?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
And your point is that now that everyone is buying stocks, now is the time to get out?
Nope, the point is that retail investors are unfortunately their own worst enemies. They freak out and sell en masse (at exactly the worst moment) and they do the same when they finally decide that maybe the water is calm and decide to jump into the pool (long after the smart money has gotten long).

- Will Rogers
Current Environment
Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #145
Dryer sheet aficionado

Current Environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nope, the point is that retail investors are unfortunately their own worst enemies. They freak out and sell en masse (at exactly the worst moment) and they do the same when they finally decide that maybe the water is calm and decide to jump into the pool (long after the smart money has gotten long).
So, what do you think about investing in the current environment?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am a dirty bottom fisher/deep value investor by nature. I always go for the unconsidered trifle (which probably explains my delight in squirrel hunting in a state where everyone is after deer, antelope, elk, etc.). There are a few obvious values out there (and I have bought plenty of the names that are cheap), but pickings are getting slim. The junk market is unattractive, so I will let what I own get called and deploy the funds elsewhere. On the bright side, if credit spreads keep tightening aggressively it will foster an upward repricing of equities as the LBO shops and aggressive corporate acquirers use cheap leverage to do their thing. Obviously high grade fixed income is foolishly expensive.

Macro-wise the environment is OK and improving. That means that we should see good results for equities and commodities and I expect cyclical equities will do real well.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I repeat:

Quote:
A physicist, chemist and economist are stranded and starving on an island. A can of soup washes ashore. The physicist proposes to smash it open with a rock. The chemist suggests building a fire and heating the can first. The economist says: "Assume we have a can-opener ..."

Or, if they're thrown down a well: "Assume we have a ladder."

The great economic historian Peter Temin tells another in his latest book, "The Roman Market Economy":
An economist meets a colleague on campus who asks, "How are your children?" "Compared to what?" the economist replies.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Today, I was "catching up" on my reading and thought these two articles (well, it is kind of a part 1/part 2 but isn't identified as such.) would fit in here:

Investors’ 10 Most Common Behavioral Biases

Top Ten Ways to Deal with Behavioral Biases

Quote:
In other words, if we believe something to be true, we quite naturally assume that those who disagree have some sort of problem.
Quote:
In his 1974 Cal Tech commencement address, the great physicist Richard Feynman talked about the scientific method — a careful and consistent process designed to root out error – as the best means to achieve progress. Even so, notice what he emphasizes: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself–and you are the easiest person to fool.”
Quote:
No matter how good our process is, we need also to assume that we have made errors and set out actively to find them by testing and confirming everything possible. Once we have decided that a given view is correct or committed to a particular course, confirmation bias has a tendency to take over. Planning to be lucky and believing that psychological realities don’t apply to us is a lovely (if arrogant) thought. But it’s not remotely realistic. Keep testing and looking for ways that you’re wrong.
Quote:
I often refer to myself as a recovering attorney, and there is a great deal about the practice of law that is frustrating and silly. But one excellent technique I learned from my time in that profession is to argue the other side’s case. Understanding and even appreciating a contrary point of view is helpful to our own thinking and can provide a good check on the coherence of our own viewpoints. Understanding and seeking support for the opposition’s best arguments is a powerful learning tool. We might even decide that – gasp – mistakes were made (almost surely by someone else, of course).
Quote:
arrogance and certainty are frequent enemies of continued investment success. Your accountability partners can and should help here, of course. Spouses are especially expert at promoting humility.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Apparently the massive inflows into equities story is not true - maybe a week made all the difference. I don't have a reference yet.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #150

Quote:
Today, I was "catching up" on my reading and thought these two articles (well, it is kind of a part 1/part 2 but isn't identified as such.) would fit in here:
Nice link and an excellent reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Apparently the massive inflows into equities story is not true - maybe a week made all the difference. I don't have a reference yet.
This past December was especially unusual with all the dividends and compensation pulled ahead, so I am reluctant to jumps to any conclusions based on any month to month or year to year data. Right now the economy is chugging along and the radar screens are free of icebergs.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

So, I read the linked articles, and thought they were good.

Quote:

Investors’ 10 Most Common Behavioral Biases

Top Ten Ways to Deal with Behavioral Biases
But then, if I like to see posts like the following, which agrees with my understanding of the current state of the world economy, people are going to say that I suffer from confirmation bias, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Macro-wise the environment is OK and improving. That means that we should see good results for equities and commodities and I expect cyclical equities will do real well.
Anyway, I have placed my bets, and am patiently waiting to see if my prediction plays out. Will post result in a year.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think you have an asteroid fixation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are you suggesting my asteroid needs fixing?
Blame that on me.

I posted that NASA link about the asteroid fly-by next month in another thread. I suspect that REWahoo hasn't slept since.

The 2012 DA14 fly-by is predicted for Feb 15, 2013. Hmmm...isn't that the same day my VG brokerage data will be available ?

2012 DA14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #153
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I posted that NASA link about the asteroid fly-by next month in another thread. I suspect that REWahoo hasn't slept since.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

There's no time to waste! Is it really an asteroid fly-by or a real "fly-to"?

I do not know how fast Vanguard can transfer the money to a shareholder's checking account, but there are only 17 days left.

Assuming one has 17 days left to spend it all, would that be called 100%WR in 2013, or should that be counted on an annualized basis as 100% X 365 / 17 = 2147% WR?

Forget about tax liabilities like several recent threads discussed. I would just spend all of the proceed and would not share any with the IRS.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Too late. I spent everything just prior to the Mayan apocalypse last month, and am currently living on pine needles from my neighbors' discarded xmas trees. Good thing I kept that Euell Gibbons cookbook!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Good thing you are not my neighbor!

Well, you see, I threw away the artificial Xmas tree which I kept for 20+ years. Its needles are plastic, and would cause you a helluva indigestion.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Too late. I spent everything just prior to the Mayan apocalypse last month, and am currently living on pine needles from my neighbors' discarded xmas trees. Good thing I kept that Euell Gibbons cookbook!
Post Grape Nuts! Never knew grapes had nuts, but this is a learning forum. Any recipes you wanna share?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

PsychTrader - [Perspective] Avg daily return for $SPY by month. 1/13 best ... | StockTwits

This was posted on Stocktwits. Average daily return for SPY by month since 2000.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
PsychTrader - [Perspective] Avg daily return for $SPY by month. 1/13 best ... | StockTwits

This was posted on Stocktwits. Average daily return for SPY by month since 2000.
SPY was 50/50 for up months vs down months in the past 13 years. The worst times of the years were June/July. Thus the old see: sell in May and come back in September?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
Euell Gibbons...Talk about a blast from the past. I haven't heard that name in forever. I remember those commercials. I couldn't resist and googled him. Died in 1975, wow that was a long time ago. I guess no one under 30 would have got your joke. I truly am getting old.....