Join Early Retirement Today

Cost of Living Increase -- 2.8%
Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cost of Living Increase -- 2.8%

I wonder where, for instance, they buy fuel for their vehicles.

Proposed 2009 COLA Will Keep Five Million Seniors Below Poverty Says Senior League
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Time to sell the gas hog. Many cities have senior discounts for mass transit. My mom takes the bus for just 50 cents.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I wonder where, for instance, they buy fuel for their vehicles.

Proposed 2009 COLA Will Keep Five Million Seniors Below Poverty Says Senior League
And inflation was 4.1.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
My mom takes the bus for just 50 cents.
Does the bus, for instance, heat her house or provide her with groceries?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I might sound harsh, but SS is a safety net, not a pension plan!

That's my stand till I turn 62 - then I'll start screaming about the unfairness of a 2.8% COLA.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Does the bus, for instance, heat her house or provide her with groceries?
Nope.

But in many cases they do qualify for Section 8 housing. My sister failed to plan and only worked for 10 or 12 years as an RN. She is on SS Disability and in a nice 1 bedroom apt in a senior complex. Her rent is less than $300 a month. Her SS check is 1K. She gets 90% of her food from Meals on Wheels. Medicare is her Insurance. She has a $22 phone bill and a $50 cable bill. Her car ins is $40 a month on a 5 year old Sebring with 30,000 miles on it.

Many here do not have $600 a month to decide how to spend. I know that currently I do not. My choice is to get by with less now so my tomorrows will be brighter. My sister's choice was to be a stay at home mom and then become addicted to surgery, pills & booze.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
And inflation was 4.1.........
Actually, inflation was 4.1% measuring year-over-year CPI from Dec 2006 until Dec 2007. The SS COLA adjustment is figured by measuring the change in average CPI from the third quarter of 2006 until the third quarter of 2007 (remember, it is announced in October). That is why the the results are different, i.e. the highest inflation numbers occurred in the 4'th quarter of 2007.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #8

I read this as an estimate of the 2009 SS increase. I don't know how they know what it will be a year before the numbers come in. Sounds like a Senior's organization pounding the drums a little early IMO.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Actually, inflation was 4.1% measuring year-over-year CPI from Dec 2006 until Dec 2007. The SS COLA adjustment is figured by measuring the change in average CPI from the third quarter of 2006 until the third quarter of 2007 (remember, it is announced in October). That is why the the results are different, i.e. the highest inflation numbers occurred in the 4'th quarter of 2007.
Yep, let's go back a year.

The Dec 05 to Dec 06 CPI-U increase was 2.5%
The 3rd qtr 05 to 3rd qtr 06 CPI-w increase used by SS was 3.3%

Since I took the time to look up the numbers, I'll add that over the last 10 years, the December CPI-U went up a total of 30.2%. The 3rd quarter CPI-W that SS used went up 29.0%.

The article talks about the "CPI-E". This report from the BLS talks has some background. It seems to have gone up faster than the CPI-U from 1998-2005, by about 0.2% per year.

www.bls.gov/cpi/cpiexpcpie2005.pdf

Doesn't look like a very big deal to me.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Payments to Social Security Recipients Should be Double Current Levels
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Payments to Social Security Recipients Should be Double Current Levels

Not sure any of you have read John Williams comments on SS and the CPI but the link below should be of interest to those on this discussion board.

Shadow Government Statistics » Blog Archive » 4. Consumer Price Index

If you really take time to understand what the government has been doing to the CPI the last 30 years you'll begin to realize why things seem so out of whack economically for most people.

RJS
Rocket_J_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Squirrel View Post
Not sure any of you have read John Williams
No, I wasn't aware of the Shadow Government website. I can see that my work is cut out for me. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Another interesting article along this line is by Chuck Jaffe found in (at least) three places:

Yahoo! Personal Finance

and

Morningstar - Dow Jones & Company, Inc.: CHUCK JAFFE: Calculate Your Own Personal Inflation Index With This Formula

and

Calculate your own personal inflation index with this formula - MarketWatch

The key lines are:

"At my request, Afshar, who runs the economic research firm Kamran Afshar Associates in Bethlehem, Pa., broke down the CPI into its components, creating the chance for individuals to see how inflation hit home in their own household in 2007."

and

"The consumer price index applies certain weights to each major sector of spending, so that it currently assumes that the average consumer spends 42.7% of income on housing costs (including insurance, utilities, furnishings, rent or mortgage, etc.), 6.3% on medical care, 17.2% on transportation, 15% on food, 3.1% on education and so on."

Do you know if these numbers (the CPI weighting) are available to civilians?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I suppose this answers my availability question:

"Due to budgetary constraints, the Economic Indicators service (Economic Indicators.gov) will be discontinued effective March 1, 2008."

Economic Indicators.gov
Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
I suppose this answers my availability question:

"Due to budgetary constraints, the Economic Indicators service (Economic Indicators.gov) will be discontinued effective March 1, 2008."

Economic Indicators.gov
That's too funny. I've been trying to figure out how the government could unwind itself from this mess. Killing the messenger is probably the only politically expedient solution.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:

The key lines are:

"At my request, Afshar, who runs the economic research firm Kamran Afshar Associates in Bethlehem, Pa., broke down the CPI into its components, creating the chance for individuals to see how inflation hit home in their own household in 2007."

and

"The consumer price index applies certain weights to each major sector of spending, so that it currently assumes that the average consumer spends 42.7% of income on housing costs (including insurance, utilities, furnishings, rent or mortgage, etc.), 6.3% on medical care, 17.2% on transportation, 15% on food, 3.1% on education and so on."

Do you know if these numbers (the CPI weighting) are available to civilians?
The logical place to look is the bls website - Bureau of Labor Statistics Home Page
The very first item is "Consumer Price Index"
Click on that and you get Consumer Price Index Home Page
There is quite a bit of data there. About half way down the page you'll see "2005-2006 Weights", at ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.reques...05-06_2007.txt

In addition to the weights, you'll want the price changes at a lower level than "total". I have trouble finding them in detailed tables. It seems that I had a table once, but I can't find it today. The best I can do is the text based report at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

You'll notice that the first table has about 10 higher level lines, but the following text shows further detail for some of those lines.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Squirrel View Post
Not sure any of you have read John Williams comments on SS and the CPI but the link below should be of interest to those on this discussion board.

Shadow Government Statistics » Blog Archive » 4. Consumer Price Index

If you really take time to understand what the government has been doing to the CPI the last 30 years you'll begin to realize why things seem so out of whack economically for most people.

RJS
If I'm reading this correctly, he says that the CPI understates real inflation by 7% per year. That means in 10 years, real prices will be about double what the CPI claims.

So if I bought a year's worth of stuff for $25,000 in 1997, the bls says I should be spending about $32,500 for approximately the same bunch of stuff in 2007, because the CPI-U went up about 30%.

But John Williams says that I'm really spending $65,000 today to buy that stuff.
(In adddition to reading the article you linked, I used the CPI calculator on the ShawdowStats website: Shadow Government Statistics » CPI Inflation Calculator , it seems to have the same message.)

Am I mis-interpreting him?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I might sound harsh, but SS is a safety net, not a pension plan!
Au Contraire

- if you are a career Federal Government employee who started after 1983 SS is 1/3 of your "pension plan".

Government pension annuities were greatly reduced from what they were under the old Civil Service Retirement System in favor of a "three legged stool" consisting of :
(1) a 401K type Thrift Savings Plan
(2) a significantly smaller small pension.
(3) a Social Security Check

Thanks again Ronald Reagan.

(and now Hillary wants to throw all of the "uninsurables" in America into the Federal Employees Health Benefit plan (FEHB) - thus destroying our risk pool & ensuring all Federal retirees will use vastly larger sums of our retirement dollars to pay for continuation of our health insurance in the future in order to subsidize all these uninsurables)
Texarkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, he says that the CPI understates real inflation by 7% per year. That means in 10 years, real prices will be about double what the CPI claims.

So if I bought a year's worth of stuff for $25,000 in 1997, the bls says I should be spending about $32,500 for approximately the same bunch of stuff in 2007, because the CPI-U went up about 30%.

But John Williams says that I'm really spending $65,000 today to buy that stuff.
(In adddition to reading the article you linked, I used the CPI calculator on the ShawdowStats website: Shadow Government Statistics » CPI Inflation Calculator , it seems to have the same message.)

Seems about right. I'd add that he appears to have taken a big old hit off Ron Paul's bong.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #18

I've been retired 8 years and my expenses have increased by 24%. I live as well now as I did when I first retired. Don't drink the kool-aid.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post

No. But look at the rest of the picture. "Stuff" does cost a good bit more. But, I bet you are not buying a new home and putting the old one out in the re-cycle bin. At a certain point in life the house is stuffed with "stuff". Not all of it needs to be replaced with any frequency. I doubt I will ever buy another baby crib or toy, my workshop tools will outlast me, my cars will go for 10 to 15 years without the commute. My groceries cost less for home cooking. So, it is relative in my view.

And yes, America is getting a come-uppence in the wage/hour/pay which is downgrading... At least in my opinion. But, I never bought into telling my kids that they were so special that the world owed them a silver spoon to eat off of.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

SS will be chipped away at in a variety of ways over the next 20 years as the government struggles with funding it. I expect the COLA to be a target. I would also expect taxes to increase if one has other sources of income.

Energy: Transportation, Heating, Cooling, etc... is going to be more expensive than in the past. Since many retirees did not plan for that unexpected inflation (along with rising medical cost), they could have a difficult time.

We all need to keep in mind that inflation is alive and well. Combine that with the erosion of SS and some people will have a difficulty maintaining a reasonable standard of living.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote