Join Early Retirement Today

Cost of Reforms-now no free checking-No Free Lunch Next?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cost of Reforms-now no free checking-No Free Lunch Next?

Wells Fargo Ends Free Checking Before New Bank Rules - Bloomberg

Wells Fargo, the U.S. bank with the largest branch network, eliminated free checking accounts for new customers as firms prepare for stricter consumer- protection measures. New basic checking accounts carry a $5 monthly fee as of July 1, said Julia Tunis Bernard, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco-based bank. Wells Fargo also established minimum deposit requirements for waiving the fee, she said

The costs of reforms are adding up. So far the ones I've encountered are:
- Citi visa charging $60 annual fee - eliminated if you spent 2,400? - I can canceled

- No rollback option on my health ins
- If I get a new health plan it is a 'new' health plan; subject to congress' additions

These type of things really hurt the poor. They can not afford the minimums to avoid the fees.

I wonder what is next.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a total non-event to me. Almost all the past "free-checking" accounts had a minimum balance and/or direct-deposit requirement, so WF is just re-implementing that.

So to get free-checking it still appears that there are very low hurdles to jump over.

But I like best the "we pay YOU to have checking at our bank" accounts. USAA was like that for a while. They haven't offered to pay me $2,000 this year to keep my account open like they have for the past 3 years. So I had to go to the highest balance I've had with them so far: $0.00. Negative balances were always better.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of free lunches. The 0% no fee balance transfer offer is back!!!

https://applications.usbank.com/oad/...rType=customer

Anyone else like borrowing free money? Maybe use this money to pay those checking account fees.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Wells Fargo Ends Free Checking Before New Bank Rules - Bloomberg

Wells Fargo, the U.S. bank with the largest branch network, eliminated free checking accounts for new customers as firms prepare for stricter consumer- protection measures. New basic checking accounts carry a $5 monthly fee as of July 1, said Julia Tunis Bernard, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco-based bank. Wells Fargo also established minimum deposit requirements for waiving the fee, she said

The costs of reforms are adding up. So far the ones I've encountered are:
- Citi visa charging $60 annual fee - eliminated if you spent 2,400? - I can canceled

- No rollback option on my health ins
- If I get a new health plan it is a 'new' health plan; subject to congress' additions

These type of things really hurt the poor. They can not afford the minimums to avoid the fees.

I wonder what is next.

OFGS
Transparency is not a cost. Bank accounts cost banks to operate. Transparency makes banks compete on published obvious costs.

If we want to help the poor we pay the cost of accounts publicly

Concealed fees only help banks and the folks they pay in congress to shill for them

Standardized weights and measures , including open and transparent pricing is one of the cornerstones of an efficient marketplace.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Standardized weights and measures , including open and transparent pricing is one of the cornerstones of an efficient marketplace.
But then you foreclose the possibility of the careful shopper (free checking) being subsidized by those stupid enough to get ripped off (overdraft fees).
Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Its a competitive market place. If your bank starts charging fees and other banks or credit unions offer the same service for free, go elsewhere.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Checks are becoming obsolete technology. This drives up the unit cost of processing a check. It's totally understandable why the banks are passing the increased cost on to customers. It's an incentive to get online or use debit.

Your checkbook is obsolete - MSN Money
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Checks are becoming obsolete technology. This drives up the unit cost of processing a check. It's totally understandable why the banks are passing the increased cost on to customers. It's an incentive to get online or use debit.

Your checkbook is obsolete - MSN Money
Good point - I don't use check - except to pay taxes. I think those on the lower end of the economic scale probably use them more than the middle class. Also, I think those who follow Dave Ramsey use them instead of credit cards.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup. We still are using checks that show our old address----which we moved away from 5 years ago. We pay almost everything now by online bill pay. Heck, even our latest car licence tag renewal was paid by online check.

Most of the paper checks we write are for birthday presents to relatives.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Its a competitive market place. If your bank starts charging fees and other banks or credit unions offer the same service for free, go elsewhere.
+1
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote