Join Early Retirement Today

Cost-Sharing Cell Phone Lines
Old 11-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Cost-Sharing Cell Phone Lines

Hi,
I have an old t-mobile plan that offers me 4 lines for ~100 bucks. Unlimited calling and text and 4 Gb of data. Current t-mobile plans like that offer 2 lines for 100$. So for my current plan I need only two lines, which I keep active the rest are not.

I was wondering if someone tried an idea to share their extra lines with other folks to reduce costs for both?
I was thinking if you paid me ~30$ for both lines we could both cut our bill in half.

graham2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, I wouldn't think about sharing a phone line with anyone. Everyone should stand on their own two feet.

I won't even share my Fire 8 password with anyone (like grandkids.) I found $132 in game charges on my Visa last month by my grandson who thought the games were free.

I remember the many times my daughter has shared lines, and got stuck with bills she couldn't pay. And her FICO score shows it to this day. I hate to think of the $ thousands she has cost us on cellphone bills.

After 36 years of being on the phone the majority day at work, I seldom use a telephone to talk. And I love being low tech--without any cellphone.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Terms may also not allow this.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

If it was with a close family member (even a cousin, aunt, etc)...maybe. Otherwise I would not want to mingle my phone usage with others to save a few dollars.

I am thinking of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile though. They have a 2 line plan (55+) for $70, which includes all taxes and fees. We pay around $130 for the same plans through AT&T.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #5

I have 8-10 friends and family on my AT&T plan. I did this a few years ago when getting a cell phone for DC which caused me to go off of my very old grandfathered unlimited plan. After investigating it, I figured we could get the per device cost down to around $28 per line (after mega corp discount).

It works because these are all adults (or family) that I have known for a long time and none are data hogs. (We share a 15 Gig monthly data plan = 1.5 GB per device.) Some use < 1/2 Gig on a typical month. Last month 8 cell phones used under 5 GB in total.

Fast forward a few years (to now) and there are other things out there that are more competitive with this. I've moved my child to a cricket plan w/5GB so I don't have to hassle him about how much data to use - if he uses up the plan allotment Cricket data limits him to 128Kb/sec data but no overage charge.

Again, this doesn't work for everyone - but it does for us. The friends part pay me electronically (auto pay) like clockwork.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am on my son-in-law's Cricket plan with 5 unlimited lines for $100/mo.
I pay $20/mo and is working out great.
This plan is grandfathered and not currently avail. , but you can get 4 Cricket lines for $100.
homestead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

4GB of data is nothing for 4 lines, especially if you're going to share it with somebody you can't control. You also can't control what content they access on the internet, which could be illegal.

Ditch the old plan and get an MVNO. Ting will give you wholesale access to the T-Mobile network and you pay only for what you use. DW and I are fairly heavy users, although we're careful to use WiFi whenever available to reduce our mobile data usage. We also use Wifi calling and texting when we can. Our average cost per month per phone is $15-20.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

Our DS is on our plan. He will stay there and pay his share, as long as it makes financial sense to do so. We were paying $80/line for 3 phones. About a year ago, we switched to $50/line, 3 new iPhone 7s (bad color-they couldn't give them away, LOL). We were on Verizon, and we switched to Credo Mobile which uses the Verizon network. And now unlimited data, more texts and phone calls we would ever do. Other networks in our area are too lousy to consider.

Would we share with other friends and family---no. My trust in others has gone down over the decades, which is the main problem. We only have one friend we mutually trust 100%--and he just retired from AT&T, so that isn't going to happen, LOL.

Credo Mobile has a decidedly liberal political bent, but if you lean that way, it is a pretty darn good deal.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I am thinking of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile though. They have a 2 line plan (55+) for $70, which includes all taxes and fees. We pay around $130 for the same plans through AT&T.

Sprint has a similar plan called Unlimited 55+
https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/55-unlimited.html
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
... you can get 4 Cricket lines for $100.
+1

DW and I have the 4/$100 Cricket unlimited plan. Two of our grandchildren are also on the plan since their parents have company supplied phones. Paying me $50/mo for two unlimited lines for their kids is a bargain.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
I am on my son-in-law's Cricket plan with 5 unlimited lines for $100/mo.
I pay $20/mo and is working out great.
This plan is grandfathered and not currently avail. , but you can get 4 Cricket lines for $100.
Yes, this was a great deal and is the reason I moved my son to Cricket. My intention was to perhaps move 5 lines there to capture the 5 for $100 deal. The issue I ran into (even though Cricket uses AT&T network) is that Cricket had/has lower Mb/s limits than AT&T and some people were hesitant to make the move. I confirmed this with the same phone/ switch sim - AT&T was much faster on speedtest.net -- but in terms of every day experience, I really couldn't tell any difference.

It can be a pain to get old folks to change.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

To answer the OP question, it depends on the phone plan and participants. If you have a shared data plan, It can be an issue if you go over the allotted data. Also the hassle of collecting payment from multiple plan users. Inviting non immediate family members to share your plan because it is cheaper for them is just inviting more hassle into your life IMHO.

We have an unlimited family plan with 5 lines. Our 2 children (25 & 23) and I just added my dads line. My dad and mom had their own plan but mom passed and now Iím responsible for paying all dads bills, it was cheaper and more convient for me to add his line to my plan, one less bill to pay.
GA_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

DW and I have the 4/$100 Cricket unlimited plan. Two of our grandchildren are also on the plan since their parents have company supplied phones. Paying me $50/mo for two unlimited lines for their kids is a bargain.
WOW! I am in awe of your money saving skills. But, if you looked like you were going to walk into my store, I would close it immediately!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #14

I wouldnít do this as I think itís best if friends and adult family members do not depend on us financially.

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bills, cellphone bill, cost-sharing