Costco AMEX Cash Rebate

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So going along with the "Spending Too Much at Costco" thread, this month (Feb statement) Costco AMEX has the cash back reward. Since DW and I use the AMEX for almost everything we can, including a lot of my work travel which was pretty high last year, we are getting a nice fat reward :D

My reward is $771.23 :dance: What are others getting on their cash back?

$72...wow, you did spend quite a bit on that card!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Wow.
I got back $249.99. I took a penny with me when I went to cash it.

We got back $130 and change, and right around $55 from Costco a few months ago.

$48 we only use it for Costco gas. We use other cards for cash rewards, mostly the Fidelity Amex.

Rarely used last year, so the rebate is less than the cost of admission. This will be our last year with them. Maybe sometime in the future if we get closer to a store.

24.45 Not a big credit card user. Got the card this past October/November so I could order online and buy gas. I normally pay cash but it's been great for unexpected purchases. I'm usually headed there right after work so don't want to go to a bank to get cash. I have a set amount of cash each week that I spend but sometimes family or neighbors will call and ask me to pick up things for them. That's when the card has come in handed too. Don't really like their reward program. You're locked in to the once a year distribution and if you drop the card you lose any rewards.

$863.79

Don't expect to ever see that much again. Lot of non-recurring expenses last year.

$43.91. Mostly gas and some bags of cat food. I really only buy a few things at Costco. I don't share the opinion that their products are high in quality or low in price. The fish is awful and the beef is tasteless. I can get better quality chicken at a much lower price at Sprouts. I don't need large quantities of produce and it's fresher at Sprouts or one of the local chains. The baked goods are stuffed with chemicals that don't belong in food. I did buy a TV a couple of years ago, but the other electronics tend to be outdated and overpriced.

I have been using the Chase Freedom and Discover rotating 5 percent categories a lot as well. B of A Cash Rewards offers two percent at grocery stores. Makes Amex superfluous except at Costco.

Last edited:
350ish. I used it to pay my $177 costco bill for the week and walked away with plenty of cash.

We used to regularly get close to 4-500, but I've switched to a different card for most of my purchases for different rewards.

Is the 2% Costco Executive rebate paid along with the 1% American Express rebate (on the same check)?

No, the Costco Executive rebate is paid separately. Mine is paid in August; I'm not sure if everyone gets theirs then or if they stagger based on your Costco renewal date.

Is the 2% Costco Executive rebate paid along with the 1% American Express rebate (on the same check)?

No, the Costco Executive rebate is paid separately. Mine is paid in August; I'm not sure if everyone gets theirs then or if they stagger based on your Costco renewal date.

Separate checks - The Costco rebate is paid at renewal time.

Costco Executive rebate stacks on top of the AMEX cash reward rebate. For me the Executive rebate covers the annual membership fees plus a bit extra.

The AMEX cash rebate is just like cash, the rebate check can be cashed at Costco and then spend that cash anywhere. The Executive rebate is only good at Costco, if my memory is correct.

Our reward: 431 dollars. We put everything we can on the Costco Amex. Last year it was 30K. Cashed the coupon and deposited the money into our checking account.

No, the executive rebate was sent in early January. Both the Executive and Reward rebates must be cashed at Costco. You can present them at Customer Service and walk away with cash. Don't do what I did last year, cash the reward coupon when paying for stuff :facepalm:

Charge your order, then cash the coupon.

Last edited:
$301 Hum... about charging the purchase, then cashing the reward on the way out, I guess you don't get the 2% for the cash purchase. Hadn't thought of that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

$198. I had to throw in another $35 for the trip that day, and DH said "wow, our Amex bill will be low this month." Yeah, except for this is also the month they charge your annual fee. :LOL:

$301 Hum... about charging the purchase, then cashing the reward on the way out, I guess you don't get the 2% for the cash purchase. Hadn't thought of that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

That's what I do. I took all my rewards/rebates in cash this year.

I'm another big fan of the Costco AMEX card and a few of the others. I used the United Mileage Plus Visa for years but found it to hard to get the seats we needed so I started using the Costco card and another BofA cash reward card. We easily get over $1,000 cash back every year. That's enough for 2 round trip tickets on any airline to almost anywhere in the US including Hawaii. (at least for us)

The secret is to charge EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. Many people would be surprised at just how many of there monthly bills can be put on a credit card. This includes a lot of the expensive bills like car insurance, DMV fee's, etc.

Of course you have to be disciplined enough to pay it off in full each month. I haven't paid a cent in finance charges in years.

Will be interesting to see what CB arrangement, if any, Costco will have with the switch to VISA sometime next year.

FWIW- My total AmEx rebates did not cover the extra cost of Executive membership. Prob will drop it.

The secret is to charge EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. Many people would be surprised at just how many of there monthly bills can be put on a credit card. This includes a lot of the expensive bills like car insurance, DMV fee's, etc.

Of course you have to be disciplined enough to pay it off in full each month. I haven't paid a cent in finance charges in years.
This is what we do unless the vendor doesn't accept credit cards or there's a significant discount if paying by cash/check.

The best one was my kids college costs until they recently started adding a service fee!

Back
Top Bottom