Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amex business platinum gives 5% on Telcom. Also on office supplies.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And with Fidelity also dumping AmEx, I will soon be AmEx-less. That added warranty was a nice perk, though I've never used it.
Doesn't VISA also offer an additional year of warranty? I believe this is a function of a VISA Signature card.
http://blog.credit.com/2011/12/how-e...t-cards-49431/
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...nties-1273.php

With my Costco AMEX going away, I recently decided to get the AMEX Blue preferred cash card. The clincher was a 10% rebate on all wireless telecom company charges, including new equipment, through the end of 2016, limit $200 in rewards. So I got 10% back on my new iPhone, and we're paying all our wireless bills through Dec. I will probably even prepay where I can.

That and the 6% back on groceries at major supermarket chains, and 3% at major department stores.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Doesn't VISA also offer an additional year of warranty? I believe this is a function of a VISA Signature card.
How Extended Warranties Work on Credit Cards | Credit.com
Compare credit card extended warranties: behind the fine print

Thanks. I checked my Costco card and it is indeed a Signature card with the extended warranty benefits.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thanks. I checked my Costco card and it is indeed a Signature card with the extended warranty benefits.
Huh, hadn't even noticed the word "signature" below the word VISA on the card.

Evidently quite a few benefits like car rental collision waiver, lost luggage reimbursement, emergency travel assistance...

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...isa-signature/
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #165

Thought I would have received the Citi replacement card by now. Nothing, yet.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #166

I received mine last week.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Mine made it yesterday.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #168

Got ours yesterday, Kent, WA
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Thought I would have received the Citi replacement card by now. Nothing, yet.
Didn't get ours yet either. But we also got our card agreement weeks later than most folks, so I was expecting delays.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #170
Full time employment: Posting here.

We received ours.

We normally pay off the last statement balance plus most of the charges made during the month following, prior to the payment due date. I think this time, we'll only pay the last statement balance. I have visions of AMEX sending all the charge transactions for the next statement period to Citi, but not sending payment info. It would be difficult to prove you paid extra since we'll lose access to AMEX after June 19th.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post

We normally pay off the last statement balance plus most of the charges made during the month following, prior to the payment due date. ...........................
Is there some advantage in doing this?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #172
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Is there some advantage in doing this?
The only advantage is it keeps your % of credit card use lower. A spike up in utilization might drop your credit score a point or two. It also keeps my bank balance low. I try to make payments shortly after funds enter my account. My thoughts here are that if my bank account gets hacked, their "check" may bounce because there aren't enough funds in the account to cover it.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #173

We have not received the new VISA card. However, we have accepted the AMEX Blue Cash card.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #174

Received ours today w/same credit limit. Need to call AmEx to get another card as I really liked and used their car rental coverage when renting cars internationally.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #175

Anyone figured out who/how to pay for the last AMEX statement? My payment is due 6/22. AMEX has cancelled my autopay and Citi won't allow setup to start until after 6/20. The statement says to pay Citi. Citi says to pay AMEX.
The best I can figure after several rounds of talks......before 6/20 , pay AMEX
manually; 6/20 and later , pay Citi and if you pay by mail, good luck with the uncertainty of when it will arrive.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Anyone figured out who/how to pay for the last AMEX statement? My payment is due 6/22. AMEX has cancelled my autopay and Citi won't allow setup to start until after 6/20. The statement says to pay Citi. Citi says to pay AMEX.
The best I can figure after several rounds of talks......before 6/20 , pay AMEX
manually; 6/20 and later , pay Citi and if you pay by mail, good luck with the uncertainty of when it will arrive.
My autopay date is the 23rd and the last day of my billing period was yesterday. I plan to just go online today and make the payment. I've early paid balances before with no problems. Autopay normally adjusts for the payment, and if the balance is 0 then no Autopay payment is made. (In this case, there won't be an Amex Autopay after the 20th.) New charges to the card between now and the 20th will be in the next billing period and rollover to Citi for billing. Since I have another credit card, I plan to just keep things simple and not use the Amex card anymore, eliminating any rollover balance.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #177

If you want to pay Amex before 6/20, then you need to login and setup a single online payment. If you want to pay on the 20th or later, then you will need to setup your Citi online account and the payment then.

If you want to pay by check, I'd mail it to Amex no later than 6/13.

The timing worked out pretty well for me. Our monthly closing date is the 20th and payment due date is the 15th of the next month, so my 6/15 payment is going to Amex as usual, and I won't have another statement until the 21st which is just after the transfer to Citi. Will be interesting to see if their payment dates are different.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how smoothly the card transition will be overall. Some customers need to be aware of autopay timing, remember to set up the new autopay, remember to change recurring charges before those billers try to charge to the expired card and of course remember to take the new card when they go to Costco after the 20th. Many people will have no problem, but some will.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #179

I'm curious as to why the switch to Visa would cause AMEX to cancel existing credit cards, rather than allowing them to remain active for purchases made for everything other than Costco transactions. Do you think there was some clause in the Costco agreement that states if the partnership ended AMEX doesn't get to keep the relationships with the members?

Most people would likely want to have both an AMEX and Visa card, so it seems inconvenient to make people sign up with AMEX again when they already have an AMEX card. I've had mine for 16 years. I also have the Fidelity AMEX so for me it doesn't matter much, but if I didn't, I would be looking around for another AMEX card even though the Costco one would be perfectly good for me.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I'm curious as to why the switch to Visa would cause AMEX to cancel existing credit cards, rather than allowing them to remain active for purchases made for everything other than Costco transactions. Do you think there was some clause in the Costco agreement that states if the partnership ended AMEX doesn't get to keep the relationships with the members?

Most people would likely want to have both an AMEX and Visa card, so it seems inconvenient to make people sign up with AMEX again when they already have an AMEX card. I've had mine for 16 years. I also have the Fidelity AMEX so for me it doesn't matter much, but if I didn't, I would be looking around for another AMEX card even though the Costco one would be perfectly good for me.
It's because the credit account is being transferred, along with any accrued card rewards that can only be redeemed at Costco as well as the automatic Costco membership renewals. I guess Costco has the say since it's their co-branded card and they decided to end the relationship with AMEX. So that requires a new account to be opened if a customer wants to maintain an AMEX relationship independent of Costco.